Top Connemara stallions for producing amateur friendly eventer

Considering breeding my 16.2H retired Oldenburg mare (Scimitar xTB). Hoping to produce a fancy but ammy friendly/packer type in a smaller package.

Any recs for stallions that pass on easy/ammy friendly brains?

1 Like

when we first got back into horses in the late 1980s the Connemara was what we were looking for but there were very limited available

Even today the breed association forewarns “There are no large commercial breeding farms”

scroll down in this link to the Connemara association site, there is an interactive map of breeders by states

Since we could not find any we went to Morgans

one of the reasons we were interest in Connemara was Anne Gascoyne who lived nearby were I grew up, she was instrumental in getting the breed established in the US

The Crestwood Trophy was donated by Catherine Mack and Sue Smith in 1987 in memory of Anne Gascoyne. It is awarded annually for outstanding personal endeavor on behalf of the Connemara Pony.

Get Smart, and he’s been bred with a lot of warmbloods so you can see his offspring of similar type.

1 Like

R Blue Moon has quite a few very lovely halfbred offspring out there and well worth a look.

https://goodpony.net/stallion

1 Like

Get Smart, and R Blue Moon are both very nice. I have a Topgun colt and he’s brilliant but also incredibly mouthy. Now that could be a young horse phase or it could come from the mares side, but I will say he is probably the mouthiest gelding I’ve ever met! He needs a pacifier at all times. You tie him up and he has the lead rope in his mouth, or his mouth on the fence or the gate or anything he can reach. Put the saddle on and he’s turning around to try and chew on the stirrups.

Now he is very engaging (if cheeky) and the first few rides under saddle have gone well. I think he’ll be a lovely horse, but that personality may not be everyone’s cup of tea. He does have a great mind, and tends to think through situations rather than react. Not much scares him but some of that definitely comes from the mare, as she is the definition of bomb proof.

Elodon Zodiac is nice too. You definitely have plenty of options. Some stallions throw more height then others but it doesn’t seem like you will object to extra height.

The Cooper babies are so nice and trainable.

1 Like

I bred my TB mare to Coud’poker Tartifume (Cooper) for a 2023 foal, and he sold to an ammy who hopes to do low level eventing with him. He is exactly an ammy horse, very laid back and loves human attention. Not phased by anything new. The stallion owner told me that Cooper is the most chill horse in her barn, and they often take him as babysitter for other horses.

I also really like WH Topgun (another Connemara) and would consider breeding my mare to him next. Seems like a lot of his offspring are owned by ammys but they are still athletic and talented.

2 Likes

I know nothing about breeding or Connemaras, so please feel free to ignore me, but I just read this article about Braden Specks in COTH competing the 4* at Plantation this weekend on a Connemara/TB cross. Specks obviously has lots of talent to get to the 4* level, but Liam has brought him up through the levels the last five or so years (and apparently farther than they expected), so it seems to me that Ballywhim An Luan might be a line to look at?

1 Like