Unlimited access >

Top eventer biffs: "just a flesh wound!"

I 100% agree with @RAyers and actually came here to say almost exactly what he said… with no regards or relations to the article. BUT I have seen WAY too many eventers on Social Media making light of injuries, ignoring doctor’s appointments and PT. Working to ride quicker and healing be damned.

THAT has got to change.

And like @Jenerationx I had a set of initial back rads done when I started with a chiropractor who thank God was also a horse person. We went over my entire history at the first meeting and then took the films. (They were film… not digital) When I came for my first session she asked me when I broke my back since I had not mentioned it on my rundown. I was in shock. She was surprised, threw the films on the light board…sure enough… one massive spinal process that clearly got battered and is now 3x larger from bone on bone repair. FUN stuff. And I couldn’t tell you which fall it was but it’s there.

Em

8 Likes

Is this true? I had no idea. I have been to the hospital before after a fall left my vision blurry (I fully admit I planned on going home - a friend called my partner because he didn’t want me driving, and my partner told me that he’d take me wherever I wanted but would never forgive me if I woke up dead…so I went to the hospital). They did clear me for concussion that day (after confirming that the blurry vision was because I’d torn my shoulder). I did go back to regularly scheduled programming, with a replacement helmet and some extra bodywork for the shoulder, and never suffered ill effects. That was me trying to be careful - was that incorrect?

Ah yes. I had one of these. A crush injury from the scariest fall I’ve ever had. I was away from home at a summer program, so they took me to a country clinic where they said I had no broken bones and sent me on my way. I couldn’t push off my leg for more than 6 months, but I didn’t say anything to my parents because I didn’t want to lose horses. No matter the bodywork I do now, my pelvis sits at a pronounced angle even today.

Parents, make sure it’s okay for things not to be okay!

6 Likes

Just going to come in here to make a plug for concussion testing—not just going to the ER to have them tell you if you have a concussion or not, but finding a sports medicine clinic or something of that nature in your area which offers ImPACT testing (especially if you’re able to go get a baseline before something happens to your head).

I had a headfirst fall when I was thirteen (freak accident, my horse’s front end pretty much collapsed) that I have absolutely no recollection of to this day. My trainer was with me in under thirty seconds, so if I blacked out it was only for a moment. I ended up going for concussion testing at the sports medicine concussion clinic here (which is one of the top clinics in the US, if not the world—they treat all our NHL/NFL guys too) a few weeks after I fell on the recommendation of the ER doctor who had diagnosed my concussion, initially thinking that they would clear me, only to be told after the testing that the fall had impacted my short-term visual memory. They told me I shouldn’t ride yet and that I should come back in a month to see if it had improved.

One month turned into four months, and when I went back to be tested again, there was absolutely no change to my results. I was told that the damage might be permanent, because if it wasn’t improving after that period of time with the brain plasticity of an adolescent, there was a decent chance that it was going to stay that way (and, while I haven’t been tested since, I’m fairly sure it’s the exact same way that it was then—I’ve found a lot of workarounds like saying things out loud, but I can’t just read something in my head and remember it easily anymore). At the end of that appointment, the doctor said (paraphrased) “I want to tell you that you should never ride again, but I know you won’t listen, so please wear a helmet, don’t jump anything for a while, and try not to fall off.”

Unfortunately I never had a baseline test so they couldn’t use that as a comparison, but they knew enough about normal score distributions to infer that mine pointed to a head injury, not my baseline state. My parents absolutely never would have let me ride again had the doctors not given me the okay (even if it was a conditional one), and even now as an adult, if I ever come anywhere near hitting my head, I will be marching into that concussion clinic for an assessment before I get back on a horse, not just subscribing to the “wait two weeks and you’ll be fine” adage that people throw around.

In some ways I’d say I’m lucky that that is the worst injury I’ve ever had from a fall, but… not something to mess around with in the slightest and I’d take my bruised ribs from getting lawn-darted over that any day. The ER said I had a “mild” concussion but the memory effects in combination with the psychological ones have very much shifted the trajectory of my life and it pains me to see people be cavalier about head injuries (though I will acknowledge that I’m spoiled by our concussion clinic and wish everyone had access to it).

13 Likes

True story. I had a jumping fall. I was unconscious for a while and I also had a small facial laceration. So a fellow boarder drove me to the local rural hospital. On the way my brain was thinking - they are going to ask me “do you know were you are, the date and the name of the President.”

The only President name I could recall was Ronald Reagan. But this was December after an election and a lot of cars back then tended to have election bumper stickers. So I scored President when I saw a Clinton-Gore sticker. I got where I was from the hospital name on the ER sign as we drove up. Now the date. I won the trifecta when there was a calendar with today’s date on the ER reception desk. So I was stitched, cleared, and driven back to my car and went home.

And later I discovered I had no recall of the following week. According to the nurses in my office I had seemed completely myself all week. We discovered the lost week when patients I had done surgery on during that week started coming in for postoperative appointments and I could not remember doing any of their surgeries.

14 Likes

ok, more specifically, you don’t have to have an IMPACT to your head to have a BRAIN injury.

Whiplash or a jolt can cause brain damage.

7 Likes

Yes, for example a slow brain bleed may not have any symptoms immediately after (happened to me). Concussion testing is quite limited, and most people are “cleared” by an ER doctor, and not by a neurologist. People hear “you have no obvious signs of a concussion” or “we can’t find evidence of a brain injury” and think that means the head wasn’t injured and they are good to go, but that may not be the case.

On an extreme example, CTE can only be confirmed after you are dead…and it is your brain being turned into mush after repeated hits (not concussions).

1 Like

No one is disagreeing with you.

I feel compelled to add to this conversation that coming off a horse and landing on your feet can cause concussion.

9 Likes

I was at an event a couple years ago, at the water to take photos of a friend who was showing. A competitor came through and her horse was a bit balky at the water, and did a drive-by at the log after the out. She slipped to the side but managed to right herself and turn around to represent at the trot. Horse did a slo-mo refusal and u-turn away, and the rider slid to the side and centrifugal force pulled her slowly off the saddle. She landed very gently in the water, sort of on her feet but then lost balance and ended up sitting. It was not a hard fall and she definitely did not hit her head. I was the closest one to her (the jump judges were on the other side of the water) so I caught her horse and held him while she got herself up.

I had an entire conversation with her about whether she was okay, joking about how it was a nice day to fall in the water (it was hot), whether she wanted me to walk her horse back for her (the water was way out on course and it was a long walk back to the trailers), she was telling me about how the horse was a bit iffy at water, etc - she was lucid. She said she was good to walk her horse back, took his reins from me and headed back to the barn. Maybe 30 seconds later, I see the jump judges both get up and go running over (I couldn’t see her as she had gone behind a treeline) and radioing for medics.

She had apparently gone down to her knees. Medics came quickly and were doing concussion testing. I took the horse again and headed back to the trailers with him. On the way, one of her barn mates met me and asked what was going on. When I explained, she said the rider had had a fall in training 10 days before, did hit her head and had a mild concussion, and that a doctor had cleared her to compete.

I would never have thought such a gentle fall could have caused a head injury, until I found out about the recent concussion.

18 Likes

It’s me. I’m “people”. The more you know! Thank you. (To be clear, I did know that you didn’t have to hit your head to have a concussion, I just didn’t know that when the ER cleared you that didn’t necessarily mean you were good to go).

I’m going to look into this. Thank you for your story.

That is absolutely terrifying. I can’t imagine how upset you would be to realize that.

5 Likes

Funny, semi related. I was talking to my neurologist at one of our visits and as normal with Clinician versus Equestrian moments we were discussing horse falls.

I even showed him some I had on video. Then I mentioned Land Safe and explained their methods etc.

He freaked. Asked for videos, I found one and showed it to him.

He immediately and more forcefully than I could ever have imagined, forbade me from EVER taking part in this. That as someone with way too many past concussions, this is absolutely a risk to my brain health. He understood you don’t hit your head, mats and helmets are involved and he was crystal clear. "The brain does more in a fall than you realize. This is a hard no Emily. "

So I always think of that when I see my friends who I know have had multiple concussions, taking those courses.

Em

8 Likes

Oh wow. Really?

1 Like

I had a similar reaction. I was leading my horse at a show and she was wound up and ended up kicking my head. I blacked out for a minute or two, all I remember is being asked what day it was, did I remember what happened, etc and my thought process was, “I’m waking up and yesterday was schooling day so it must be Wednesday - oh wait I don’t remember going home so I think it’s still Tuesday? The last thing I remember is my horse bucking so I guess she kicked me?” So I got the answers right but I don’t remember the actual event at all. MRI or CT or whatever cleared me and I went back to work the next day as a groom at the show and I remember watering the horses at lunchtime and almost passing out but I didn’t say anything. I didn’t show that week but did the next week.

1 Like

I can understand where he’s coming from here, so I’m not trying to debate. But did he offer any alternative? Or was the intent that people with previous known head injuries only avoid this? Does he also believe that no one should do gymnastics, ever?

To me, there is a clear benefit to learning how to fall. And Landsafe’s whole schtick is about protecting your head, and using your hands/arms/body to do so- vs. how people often instinctively protect hands/arms. Maybe this type of training needs to be incorporated earlier before riders start accumulating injuries (I would be inclined towards that line of thinking anyway)? I think it’s a reasonable question whether a once or even once a year training will really help, but that’s an issue for a different day.

Again, not trying to debate someone with significantly more credentials than I have, especially not through an intermediary, just curious to explore the perspective a little bit.

7 Likes

FWIW the timing of your question is fantastic. I have a visit with him next Monday. I can ask. I honestly don’t know the answer and would be happy to request some clarity.

Em

4 Likes

Tangentially related, but perhaps interesting to this discussion: In the dark days before all my discretionary time and income went into horses, I did both gymnastics and martial arts, with at least some success at both, and the vast majority[0] of my falls since I returned to riding have been seeming non-events due to my ability to shove myself away from the horse, tuck, and roll.

With that said, LandSafe seemed like both a good idea and a lot of fun, so I went to a clinic a couple years ago. Everything was going great until the fall from the fake horse. For those who aren’t familiar, they heavily emphasize tucking hard as you land. I am generally congenitally incapable of not executing to 100% of my ability on anything I’m asked to do in a clinic, so I tucked as hard as I could…

… which, given my background training, excessive flexibility, and the physics of the mat itself, resulted in me kneeing myself so hard in the face that I broke my nose.

I mostly straightened it up but I didn’t do a good enough job; it’s still got a very slight crookedness to it. (And yes, I finished the clinic anyway.)

10 Likes

Ouch! my daughter did that (gymnastics) jumping on a trampoline - doing a tuck jump. Her pretty pink leo front was covered in blood - looked like she was ready for filming a crime scene…

And did you get checked out for concussion? They are saying we can get a concussion from landing on our feet now, so that hard a blow to the nose? Ouch!

2 Likes

Owww!

To your first paragraph, that’s kind of how I’ve felt and is why I did a Landsafe clinic- in other sports, learning to fall is integral, and we just don’t do it. Instinctively, the risks of the clinic feel lower than the risk from a real fall, but it would be nice if someone would actually study specifically the (ideally lifetime) benefits of actually learning how to fall before it happens.

Most of my riding falls, and I admit to a minimum of six concussions, have been very sudden. There was no warning such as the horse bucking first. I can’t imagine in the milliseconds between no longer having a horse under me and hitting the ground that I’d have been able to tuck and prepare to roll.

Does taking this falling course develop your reaction time and muscle memory so it becomes automatic?

3 Likes