%%%

Your favorite back support (lumbar belt) & car sear cushion for herniated discs? I’m not looking for a riding back support right now as due to family obligations, riding has to go on the back burner.

(Some might say - ask your Dr. or Physical Therapist and I will) but I still want to hear what you guys like.).

Thanks so much.

I have dealt with herniated discs, spondylolisthesis, spinal fusion x2, an additional surgery this April to remove all hardware… One thing ALL doctors and PT’s I’ve been to said: NO lumbar back support / belt.

Yes, it may make you feel better in the short run, but in the long run, your lumbar muscles will come to depend upon the support and they will weaken. Not good.

As far as a car seat cushion, most lumbar support cushions that go behind my back I have found uncomfortable after a few minutes. This is the only one that I’ve found offers any relief for long car drives: http://www.brookstone.com/sacro-ease-komfort-kush-wedge-seat-cushion

I see the one review it got says the person felt it was too firm for her - I have not had that issue. I’m average size (5’2", 125-130 lb). I’ve had this cushion since my 2nd fusion in 2004.

Best to you, this sucks…

Thanks so much T!

I have one of these-

http://www.relaxtheback.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/996/s/mccartys-premium-sacroease-back-support/?green=4FE5A06A-AC2A-545A-965C-90E418E4108A

It was given to me, otherwise I probably would not have taken the chance on it because they are so pricey. It works well for me, although I do put a wedge cushion under it to try to level the bucket seat. Bucket seats are the worst possible thing for low back pain patients because all of your weight is tipped back on your lumbar spine.

It’s not really a brace but I am a big fan of all things Back On Track so I like their brace. you could also get their tshirt or underwear instead depending upon how low in your back it is. In the car I use a little throw pillow that says "Horses are like potato chips, you can never have just one. It is the perfect size to stick behind my sacrum.

Check out the MacKenzie method- The book is called “Fix your own back” or something very similar. He has lumbar rolls in a few different shapes. I sleep with one (even when I sleep on my side), I use one at my office, and I use one in my nursing chair when I feed my baby. Also check out Katy Bowman’s videos on stretches and exercises for proper biomechanics. Those two folks have changed my life.

Thanks Eclectic, Wow, big $. I think I’ll look for a little less expensive first. I get it, the bucket seat tips your pelvis back which would tip the bad discs towards the cord. (Right now I’ve got a folded up jacket on the back half of the seat to tip me forward.)

Thanks, Laurie. I bookmarked it and I’ll show my PT & Dr. (wg). The bulges start at L2, then down to S1 there are bulges or herniations.

Know what’s fun about having a few levels - they all go to different areas of the legs so that way my whole lower body is electrified - (insert curse words). Just venting.

Thanks guys, so very much. And hope you are feeling o.k.

Will do, Candle. Thanks. I’m putting in an Amazon order for some back things in a day or two (after I speak to my PT & Dr.) so I’ll add that in.

Say, did the neurontin make any of you feel hot/sweaty sometimes?

I hate this (altogether) This is psycho.

Yes, I have been told back supports are a no-no (from physiotherapists). But I have heard lots of positive things about Back On Track products. Sounds like it is more of a heat, soothing back “wrap” so to speak than a brace or support. It’s on my list to ask my physio about :slight_smile:

Thanks, t.c. And sending healing thought to you, too. I guess you are another h.d. sufferer (herniated disc).

You betcha. Herniated around 6 years ago - healed well without surgery, but then the disc said bye-bye last year and had to have the fusion surgery. So far, so good. But they can heal without surgery, and can heal well… keep your chin up, your core strong and listen to your docs and physio!

here I am again!

Any small pillow placed well works fine but your PT can recommend/order the BEST ones. Ditto on the lumbar thing. I think you’re gonna find your PT’s and MD/s recommendations are the best on that subject. They are generally NOT recommended as they weaken the abdominal muscles. Those need to be strenthened with exercise/weight loss etc. Again, your physical terrorist will recommend the best. :winkgrin:

Thanks, again, TC. You are a joy - I wish you wellness and pain free days.

Then there is Watery who likes to yell at me :no: even though I already feel like this - :frowning: . And, yes, WG, I realize you are right about things but I still think it’s fine to discuss. Do not pull that apart, please.

Oh, you mentioned weight somewhere above (good point, btw). I’m 5’6" & 132 lbs. I think that is decent. I really don’t have a desire to loose any, for several reasons, but if it would help my spine, I would. (Yes, I know, ask my Dr.) I don’t eat much nowadays, anyway, due to the #%*+!? electrical pain.