Unlimited access >

Many factors will play a role, including whether he has AQHA papers, the quality of the movement and the jump, and location. Ballpark $10k, but maybe more if he could cross over between the USEF and AQHA shows.

Thanks! Yes he’s registered with the AQHA and appears to be a good mover. I’m not sure how to assess if he can cross over to the USEF shows as I have limited show experience.

Does he have a lead change? A big enough stride? how much jump does he have (is he cute over little jumps because he is limited?).

Looking at something similar here for $4500 only it is 6 and just started over fences, of course not enough info to compare quality. I think being younger and green makes your guy more valuable.

I also agree, around $10k.

If he’s a 16.3 QH and he’s only 4, I would be careful about assuming he’s sound. Many of them do not have the hooves and bone to support that height, and OCD/navicular are big problems with certain bloodlines.

[QUOTE=heatherk33;7809136]
I’m on a budget which is the reason I’m considering a QH.[/QUOTE]

This statement really bothers me.

There are plenty of NICE Quarter Horses that show A/AA very often. A/AA isn’t limited to big fancy Warmbloods. Believe it or not, A/AA isn’t breed restrictive. There are also plenty for QH’s that go over 30k. The 4yro prospect could fizzle out to nothing or be brilliant, no matter what the breed. On other threads you have had a higher budget, but I guess now you are okay with slumming it with us QH people. 30k (your budget previously explained) can get you quite a bit if you are wanting something YOUNG.

A quick search on warmbloods-for-sale.com brought me 10+ pages of results in your price range, all over the world.

http://www.warmblood-sales.com/SearchResult1.asp?DressLevelTrain=0&EventLevelTrain=%&HuntLevel=%&JumpLevel=%&Gender=%&BreedID=%&sHeight=1&tHeight=99&Color=%&gAge=1980&lAge=2020&Registered=%&hPrice=100&lPrice=30001&State=%&Country=%

Don’t say you are picking a QH because of your budge. Pick a QH because you like them and that is what you want.

To answer your question,

4yro that is already jumping? How high is it jumping and how often? 4 is still pretty young to be doing a ton of O/F work.

I know, my panties are in a wad. I’m just sick of people looking down on the QH cause it isn’t a WB.

Research the bloodlines. What are his/her parents bred for and what are they doing? What big names are in the lines that can tell you about possible genetic problems. Get him/her vetted.

I have to agree a bit about people feeling they MUST have a WB to do the hunters. I know plenty of WB’s that aren’t nice, I showed a QH at the A shows, no we didn’t win much but it wasn’t because he was a QH it was because he wasn’t that fancy and I was ok with that because I knew, and it wasn’t because he was a QH he wasn’t that fancy either, as I know some WB’s that aren’t very fancy either.

If he is 16.3 at 4 I would guess he has a good bit of TB in him, and I would agree if he has been jumped hard I would pass, if he has just been jumped here and there it isn’t a big deal. We are also getting towards the end of the 4 year old year too.

I dont think breed should drive the price, a quality horse is just that

because he is not the branded “flavor of the month” I would think around 7500.

and xray the hell out of the feet and hocks

use to be, in my neck of the woods, to be serious in the ring you would never show hunter on anything but a TB.

But I rode Dressage on a QH and he is my dearest horse forever.

I think the OP is referring to the budget in that you can get more horse for your buck that is a QH rather than the “breed of the moment” WB, which is very true.

I think it depends on the horse and your area OP. I grew up in a very QH area-some of them were really nice, looked and went around like USEF hunters and had auto changes. Others looked pretty on the flat but were trained and built like HUS so would not be athletic over any sized fence…And at least in my experience, the QH trainers had them VERY broke on the flat before starting them over fences, which is great if you can get something that has a great flatwork foundation.

I’m partial to QH’s so I would go look at him, and I guess I agree the ballpark would be $7500. Again depending on your area and what kind of trainer he is listed with etc… Good luck!

No I agree that if youre on a budget look at QHs and TBs. Not because theyre worth less but that theyre priced as less.

Panties wadded - I agree. Generally priced lower due to breed- I agree (generally).

Someone used to always tell me “a warmblood is $7500 when it hits the ground” (don’t necessarily agree- what about bloodlines? Just a WB should not dictate price as it does not reflet quality) and to see some of the really insane prices of weanlings who are so-so bred ($13,000 pre weaning) no wonder why we can’t compete with Europe.

Depending on your area, breeding etc, around $6-7 K.

OP, at that size, I’d be worried about soundness.

The fair price is really going to depend on where you are, who is selling, and what the owners think they can get for the horse.

Anyone worth their salt will not look down on a horse that can do the job: QH, WB, Arab, whathaveyou. That said, there are A LOT of QHs out there…and A LOT cannot do the job in the USEF A/AA rings. When the majority are not suited, it’s hard to call someone out on breed bias.

Around here, a 16.3 QH who is too uphill for breed showing and just started over fences at 4 can be just a few thousand because we have so many QHes. I absolutely love and miss the typical QH mind, steady and willing and hard working. My redheaded Trakehner mare (also 4) is developing that kind of mind as well, but there is something about the majority of the nice quarter horses I’ve worked with that is missing when you are looking at typical purpose bred horses in the sport disciplines. There are exceptions both ways, and of course the QH should be looked at as an individual.

I think this horse could easily be worth well over $10k, but could be listed for just a few thousand because he’s not suitable to the breed rings and the person listing him is not familiar with USHJA shows. It’s hard to even guess, especially without knowing the OP’s area.

What do you want him for? I went horse shopping last spring specifically looking for a Quarter for the same reason. More bang for the buck. Ended up with a nice 11 year old, lots of show experience, ready to walk in the ring. Paid less than if he were a WB. He is perfect for me (old lady for local shows at 2’6"). Great minded.

I considered several A show quality Quarters. Once seller jokingly said that she took her Quarter to Florida and no one wanted him because he was a Quarter. Then he showed how he could do well in 3’6" junior hunters and everyone wanted him. Very nice horse, but they wanted $50 K as I recall.

Anyway, to answer your question, it depends how it moves and jumps. And if lead changes. No show record on yours, so with potential to be competitive local, I would say 10K. With potential to be competitive at A’s, at least 20K. I have a friend with a very nice Quarter four year old that does well in the modified at the A’s and I think she is asking about 30K.

Think Quarters can’t be hunter pretty? Here’s a pretty one. https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/10498329_10203561862081581_1137852975514319708_o.jpg

Again thanks everyone. I in no way am looking down on the breed, just looking for a better value for my money. The horse in question does not have changes, hasn’t been shown, and is green. They are asking 35k which is why I posted the question. I feel that jumping to conclusions on other peoples intentions and assuming the worst says a lot about a person. I think the breed is amazing, just want a great horse for a fair price like everyone else!

If he moves, jumps, and rides lie a WB, no reason he won’t be priced like one. If he’s fancy and jumps well enough to be a AA show hunter, plus is easy to ride, 35 could be reasonable. Or it could be crazy over priced. there is NO way to tell based off written description without seeing the horse.

35K may make sense if they know he could compete and win in the HUS classes in AQHA (or already is). Over fences is just icing on the cake after that. And 35K is about what I would expect for a young, pretty looking/moving horse who can walk down the lines and has a lead change, but is not a fashionable breed.

Right now all you have is a couple of words on paper. Like people said, his value depends on what he is in real life. That could be $0 to if you have to ask, you can’t afford. But 10K or 35K are both in that range.

OP, is this horse an appendix? What are the bloodlines?

The qualities that make a QH HUS prospect valuable are size (over 16-1), really quiet disposition, and flat kneed movement. A lot of horses over 16-2 are priced high on size alone, as the prospect of future soundness is less concerning when they probably will never jump. Where you can catch a price break when looking for a hunter prospect, is when the horse is not dead easy to sell for a youth or older amateur and will require time to make up.

Good, decently priced ones are out there, and there are several Facebook pages devoted to QH english horses for sale.

I think 35k is too high for this particular prospect based on your description. Might be fair to a HUS buyer if he is the right type for that. There’s nothing wrong with offering what he is worth to you as a h/j buyer. Seller can decide whether or not they want to accept or look for a different buyer.