Leave them each an envelope with information about how to make a donation. Even if you go alone you are likely to meet some very cool people.

Have you explained to people how much their presence means to you? Perhaps they don’t understand just how big of a deal this is. People are busy and don’t always think beyond their own lives and responsibilities.

Maybe they just don’t want to go.

These walks have become - maybe “commercialized” is the right word? Lots of people are turned off by pink stuff now; burned out on it. I think giving someone an envelope for a donation is tacky and presumptuous.

Happy you survived, but this isn’t necessarily their party.

3 things:

One, I’m so tired of “survived.” You didn’t “Survive” you “beat it”. They need to change it from survivors to victors. It’s much more in your face. My MIL and SIL both beat cancer last year. They are victors in my eyes. They won!

Two: Red Mares is right. These walks are every where all the time and Susan B Komen has taken a huge hit. I would rather people just donate to cancer researchers directly than spend a day walking for a charity that just doesn’t really do that much any more.

Three: If no one wants to go to THIS, but they care about YOU why not set up your own shin dig. Find out something they are all interested in and set it up. Silly example: Bowling night. You pay for the lanes and such and over charge them (they know of course) and the extra money goes to the cancer charity of your choice. Everyone has fun with someone they care about.

I cannot stand the term either and am equally bitchy about the walks and fund raisers and challenges going on non stop.
Probably I’m just burnt out on the whole subject, though I do have questions about where the funds actually go.

Raising awareness is a good thing however.

I beat it and I refuse to go to any walk…

I don’t know which fundraiser was being discussed, but what do you guys think of Relay For Life supporting the American Cancer Society? Yes I know they have their walk but I do know that you don’t have to walk in order to participate. I went to one over the summer and it was a lot of fun as well as touching.

[QUOTE=FalseImpression;8331155]
I beat it and I refuse to go to any walk…[/QUOTE]

With you on the walk part.

There’s lots of diseases out there, charity walks have become like the old “tragedy of the week” movies on Sunday night TV. Same plot over and over with just enough variation to get your attention.

My general sentiment is that if you can walk 50 or 100 miles, you don’t need my money. Let me know when they have the 100 mile walk for arthritis (sarcasm BTW).

I’m sorry op has left us.

I have long wondered why everyone doesn’t just stay home and write out a check instead of wobbing up traffic with conspicuous do-gooding.

Notice any of the Diseases of the Week being prevented, let alone cured? Right. Me neither. Charity Navigator is your friend.