Unlimited access >

I’m not the OP in the fence thread, but would love to have details about your chain link post/mesh fencing! Pix too if you can!

Thanks!

I can grab a few pictures today. We had one part initially installed by the fencing company- it borders our driveway and is visible from the road and the house, so we wanted something pretty to look at, highly functional and fairly indestructible by horses. I watched closely and took notes as they installed it (man were they good and fast!) and fed them cookies and cold sodas! The posts are galvanized steel 2" diameter (I think?), 7 or 8 feet long. We set them (or tried to, our soil is incredibly hard to auger deeper than 2’6") 2 feet deep, dropped concrete and let then set for 2 days. We had to buy the caps with a loop and the top rail came in 16 foot sections that we could put together. End caps on the bigger (and very expensive) 6" diameter (I think?) corner posts/gate posts. The wire was 5 foot standard field fencing for most of the acreage we did. We have older, retired horses who frankly leave the fencing alone. I’ve used it for 40+ years with no incidents so won’t apologize to the fence safety gurus! (ha!). My husband used the fence company’s website to figure out what parts we needed to create what I had in mind, calculated how many parts we needed and then we took it all down to the place and they helped us order everything. We had it loaded that day in our truck and got started the next. We did it over the course of two summers- front field the first year, sacrifice paddocks the next along with a hybrid for the perimeter we share with a cattle farm. That fence has a smooth wire “top rail” using the same loop caps as the rail does. The total fence height is 5 feet. It keeps tall horses from reaching across the top for sure! Oh, the fencing is wired on with plastic coated metal clips provided by the company. It really looks slick and is holding up very, very well.

One downside: When a particularly itchy Paint horse rubs his butt/chest on it (ahem…that’s you Clipper, you rat bastard!) the posts will get pushed over. We had to make a few modifications in the sacrifice area due to him and his buddy’s antics. I have pipe corral panels for the internal dividers now as well as along the “rubbing post” edge that they just wouldn’t leave alone.