Unlimited access >

Hi. I read on a post that you were in Alabama. I wondered where in Alabama you are located? I just moved to Phil Campbell, Alabbama 35581 from VA. I would love to connect with other horse people in Alabama. I don’t have my horses here yet- we have to finish fencing first. However, I am worried about them eating the Johnson Grass in their pasture b/c it is toxic. Do you have much johnson grass in your pasture where your horses are? If so, do they eat it? or do they tend to try and avoid the johnson grass if there is some other grass available in the pasture? There is quite a lot of Johnson grass in the pasture where we plan to put the horses. I wondered if it would be best to try and spray it or bush hog it before the horses arrive? What are your thoughts?

Jam Lee TePoel - PS- I’m new to this site and haven’t figured out how to start a new post or thread yet, maybe you could give me advise?

Hi.

I moved out of AL in February of this year, but, when I lived there, I was in Auburn. Being much farther south than your location, we did not get much johnsongrass in pastures down there, though it does occur more commonly up here in TN. Johnsongrass is only toxic under specific circumstances (drought, frost, etc. - basically anything that stresses the grass); my experience has been that it is not a preferred forage species for horses.

Any spray that kills johnsongrass will also kill all your other grasses, generally. I suggest you reach out to your local Extension Office (https://www.aces.edu/counties/) for assistance; they’ll be able to connect you with an agent who can advise you on the best methods for controlling johnsongrass in your specific area.

Best of luck!