Unlimited access >

Hi! Just wanted to reach out regarding your post about lessons in the LA area. I rode, boarded, and trained in that area for close to a decade, and rode for many years at CB Sporthorses. While Carin is very good at some things, I ultimately would not recommend her, or recommend her with a grain of salt. She has lesson horses, and can develop a good seat. But she doesn’t understand showing at all, and her students do very poorly. I also would never board a horse there again, as I wouldn’t say the care is such that all horses thrive. (Mine certainly didn’t.) She has some students that are very happy there, but they hardly progress. So, take a lesson or two, see if it works for you, but be aware that there’s a certain “style,” as it were.

Middle Ranch is a very respectable place, so I’m not sure which trainers are there but they are probably fine. I can’t imagine who would have lesson horses, though - it’s more of a full training barn type of situation.

Hacienda Del Valle - would this be to train with Nina? If so, she’s very good. Probably a good blend of approachable, successful as a trainer, etc.

I would also reach out to Susann Regalmuto at Courtship Ranch. Not sure if she has a lesson horse that the moment but she is very good to her horses, a fantastic trainer, and just lovely to work with. She’s one of the few people I’ve trained with that I felt 100% comfortable going out of town for a few weeks knowing my horse would be in excellent hands. She’s also an L program graduate, so she knows dressage!! Her students do very well at shows, but she’s also very good with students who just want to develop their dressage skills outside of the show ring.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for all the details!

I appreciate your opinion about CB Sporthorses. I didn’t get good vibes from the place, not sure why, but it just felt different than when I visited Middle Ranch or Hacienda.

Middle Ranch is great but I believe you are correct in that they expect you to have your own horse unfortunately. Some great trainers though and a beautiful facility.

At Hacienda I spoke to both Nina and Claudiai, both very kind and professional. Nina I don’t think can accomodate my time schedule sadly, but Claudia works great and she has lesson horses. She’s also an L program graduate. Have heard great things about both Nina and Claudia. I think there is a few more dressage trainers at Hacienda also.

Hadn’t heard of Susan, I’ll definitely check her out!

Thank you so much for the info, you’ve been very helpful and it’s great to hear from someone who knows the area and has had experience with these barns.

Thank you so much for all the details!

I appreciate your opinion about CB Sporthorses. I didn’t get good vibes from the place, not sure why, but it just felt different than when I visited Middle Ranch or Hacienda.

Middle Ranch is great but I believe you are correct in that they expect you to have your own horse unfortunately. Some great trainers though and a beautiful facility.

At Hacienda I spoke to both Nina and Claudiai, both very kind and professional. Nina I don’t think can accomodate my time schedule sadly, but Claudia works great and she has lesson horses. She’s also an L program graduate. Have heard great things about both Nina and Claudia. I think there is a few more dressage trainers at Hacienda also.

Hadn’t heard of Susan, I’ll definitely check her out!

Thank you so much for the info, you’ve been very helpful and it’s great to hear from someone who knows the area and has had experience with these barns.