Unlimited access >

Topline?

I am not sure if I should put this under a different forum, I looked but wasn’t sure where to post it. If I should place it elsewhere, let me know and I will delete the post and repost elsewhere! Thanks.

I was wondering how my horse’s topline looks and if it needs some improvement? He is 11 years old, I think I should work on it a little but wanted some other people’s opinions. Thanks!! (I attached a picture below)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1BKdofMzCChRVpmVmt4UnBmdDA/view?usp=sharing

(Also, I am aware he has a bit of a hay belly currently - we’re working on getting rid of that lol, and he isn’t cribbing or anything, he was sniffing a window)

What are some good exercises for improving their top line? He already rides with his head low/level with his body.
One more question - can riding bareback make their back drop? (I am not overweight, I am 5’2", 125lbs, and he is 14.3hh and was between 900-1000 back in August when I last checked, I believe)

He looks rather soft overall, meaning that his musculature is not very developed from work. His topline doesn’t look particularly weak relative to the rest of him.

I like hill work in a low frame for building muscle and transitions, also in a longish frame.

Bareback riding should not harm his topline.

Since like November or December he hasn’t really had any hard work, he’s been ridden every day but generally only at a walk. We’re working on building the muscle back up, last September he was jacked! lol

Okay, I will definitely start doing some of that with him. Thanks!!

Thanks so much - I am getting a new saddle soon because the one we have currently doesn’t fit him, the saddle’s shipping date keeps getting pushed back :confused: I ordered it back in early December. I have been trying to ride him bareback because I know the saddle can pinch his shoulders :frowning: I got him last August and have been waiting for the money to get a saddle that fits better. Oversharing, but thanks again!! It is much appreciated.

Since like November or December he hasn’t really had any hard work, he’s been ridden every day but generally only at a walk. We’re working on building the muscle back up, last September he was jacked! lol

Okay, I will definitely start doing some of that with him. Thanks!!

Thanks so much - I am getting a new saddle soon because the one we have currently doesn’t fit him, the saddle’s shipping date keeps getting pushed back :confused: I ordered it back in early December. I have been trying to ride him bareback because I know the saddle can pinch his shoulders :frowning: I got him last August and have been waiting for the money to get a saddle that fits better. Oversharing, but thanks again!! It is much appreciated.

Super cute!!! His overall weight looks good, maybe a hair fluffy. As long as he is being riddin with an engaged hind end and a round back, his topline will improve. If he has his head up and his back hollow, he will get what I call “bracey” neck muscles and his back will tighten - not good. If you can do hill work, great. Lateral work at the walk and trot will also help as long as he is not resisting with his head up.