Torn miniscus & riding

So I tore my miniscus back in May.
I work for a chiro who practices KST (Koren Specific Technique), so he adjusts the knee and I give myself laser therapy a couple of times a week.
Unfortunately, I am not really improving, and today my boss had a “heart to heart” about the possibility that I may need surgery. That is not an option right now for me. I had a blood clot last summer and just got off the Coumodin. My insurance ran out when I was laid off last fall and I cannot get insured again until I have been off the Coumodin for at least 6 months.
The timing sucks, because the weather will be cooling off soon, which means eventing competition season begins!
My Ortho told me in June to not ride for a while, which I did for a few weeks, but I can’t let my draftx not do anything, so I resumed riding 4 times a week for 30-45 minutes…enough in this heat.
It isn’t so much the riding, like posting, as it is doing lateral movements…squeezing to make him do leg yields, etc., and just general everyday stuff. Sleep is painful, I am very much aware of where my leg is.
I am thinking of getting a magnetic knee brace.
So anyone else dealing with this? What did you do that helped? I am so frustrated right now. Not only am I dealing with the knee pain, but it is the same leg as where I had the clot, so I have to deal with that pain and swelling as the vein rebuilds…probably a few years I am told.

I’ve got no advice, just commiseration.

I’ve been dealing with the same knee issues for almost a year now. Pain, discomfort, and no insurance to get it fixed. I have tried several different braces and have had no luck with any of them. I’m horseless right now, so no riding, but what’s killing me is my inability to run.

don’t wait!

I’m sorry, Mine was torn in a XC fall; I tried to carry on:mad:, hobbled around; even doing physical therapy , leg lifts with a weight shoe; before, finally going to a sports medicine practitioner; he was 4 hours away:eek: in Boston, I lived in N. H. at the time; He concurred withe diagnosis but:yes:, the earliest I could have surgery was in December, the injury occurred in Sept:(. I continued to try and work; but, before I could get the knee “fixed” the ACL ruptured in what should have been a very minor "tussle with a pony:o so, now I had a ruptured ACL plus non functioning knee. The techniques have advanced considerably:yes: since 1982; if I had it to do again, knowing what I know now, I would get the ACL repaired as well as the meniscus:yes:
I understand the insurance issue:mad:; another instance where universal health care would have helped;, though I had a PPO and they would not have approved the surgery:mad: ah yes, WE do have rationed care NOW, anyone who, has dealt with an insurance company:no: can tell you that! but, I digress:lol:; I am sorry to tell you that you should get the cartilage removed, asap:yes:; then go back to rebuilding your muscles around the knee:yes:.

Would your employer pay for the surgery?:confused:

Been there, done that. A good knee brace with hinged support will help you survive until you can afford surgery. My Doc told me she could write a script for an expensive one, but, the best one they sell at WalMart would be just as good. I think I spent $22. Not a cure–but it did help me keep from making things worse. Wearing it to bed also helped me sleep better. I iced my knee for 20 minuets before bedtime which helped too.

Maybe an insole in your boot would help? Helps me. After an MRI I was told that it would not repair itself and that surgery would be the only option but they would do it only when dictated by the pain level. I get around fine with these insoles.
(I know everybody is different, just saying what helps me.)

I do do knee strengthening exercises in my fit class, tho.

When I tore mine, surgery ended up being my outcome, I was on crutches for 6 weeks waiting for the time to come…

One thing that helped me before the surgery was sleeping with a long, firm pillow between my knees, going down to the ankle. It helped to stabilize the knees, and “train” me not to bend them to much overnight. Sleeping this way also helps with back pain.

Best wishes to you, it’s painful injury, and NOT fun at all:(

I second the pillow thing.Oddly enough ,most of the time it is sleeping that causes me problems.When I first injured it ,it was locking on me and causing tremendous pain,but I guess the cartiledge must have broken down over time ,as it doesn’t lock anymore.Doesn’t really bother me to do lateral movements,but then ,since I broke the ankle on that leg in January ,the ankle discomfort has taken center stage ,over the knee. Wishthey had fixed my knee when they fixed my ankle.

you want a response, not a reaction

You should not have to "squeeze to the point of pain to get your horse to move over; if he ignores :no:a light aid/ pressure do not in:no:crease it; he is likely to resist :mad:more, a “reaction” instead, "sharpen:eek: :cool:the aid:winkgrin:, either with a spur:yes: or he whip or bot:yes:h!

[QUOTE=horsekpr;5797758]
I second the pillow thing.Oddly enough ,most of the time it is sleeping that causes me problems.When I first injured it ,it was locking on me and causing tremendous pain,but I guess the cartiledge must have broken down over time ,as it doesn’t lock anymore.Doesn’t really bother me to do lateral movements,but then ,since I broke the ankle on that leg in January ,the ankle discomfort has taken center stage ,over the knee. Wishthey had fixed my knee when they fixed my ankle.[/QUOTE]

I tried the pillow again last night, it helped some. I understand what you mean, it bothers me alot while sleeping.

[QUOTE=Carol Ames;5799202]
You should not have to "squeeze to the point of pain to get your horse to move over; if he ignores :no:a light aid/ pressure do not in:no:crease it; he is likely to resist :mad:more, a “reaction” instead, "sharpen:eek: :cool:the aid:winkgrin:, either with a spur:yes: or he whip or bot:yes:h![/QUOTE]

It doesn’t take much to elicit pain. He moves over quite well when I ask, but just the slightest asking on my part hurts.

Maybe you should listen to your doctor and try to rest until the inflammation is gone.

I have been there too and suffer from this for almost 20 years since they could not find my miniscus was in such a bad shape. All exams I went through did not show anything wrong.

Finally I met a surgeon who was willing to get in there and fix it.

The pain was on and off all those years and frankly I got used to it. A stupid fall on ice in my driveway did increase the problem. The surgery went very well and since no pain.

Good luck !

When I tore my meniscus I ended up having surgery as well. But before I did, I found it much more comfortable (as far as that knee was concerned :lol:) to ride without stirrups. And when I did use my stirrups, dressage length was more comfortable than jumping length.

And as Carol Ames mentioned, you could use a whip. Not even necessarily in addition to your leg to sharpen him up, but you could use it instead of your leg for the time being.

I’m assuming that you’ve checked that it’s not only your meniscus that’s damaged? When I ruptured my ACL I did the meniscus as well, but the only thing diagnosed initially was the meniscus. It was also the thing that hurt the most. An MRI was needed to diagnose the ACL, I had to have a full knee reconstruction and still the meniscus was the only thing that hurt (until the reconstruction, when my hamstring where they took the graft from also hurt). Now the only place I still stiffen up is… the meniscus.

re. moving over

Can you make him move over from the ground? How is turn on the forehand?:confused: Those are foresteps:yes: to moving him over from his back:yes::cool:

I had meniscus surgery on August 19th. I so feel your pain. I hurt my knee 20 years ago and it has always been sensitive. When I got my horse 2 years and 9 months ago I found Crooked Stirrups and they helped so my knee didn’t really bother me. I worked part time for Sherwin Will!ams as a sales rep calling on their WalMart account. We lost that account last year and after working for them in outside sales for 9 years they placed me in a store last year in August. AAACKKK. It was all down hill after that. Lifting 5 gallon buckets of paint repeatedly all day and 48 lb boxes of sheetrock mud KILLED my knee.

I started limping more & more and the knee was hurting with each step. My foot started turning in like a club foot. Riding hurt but no more than not riding. What hurt was WALKING.

A friend got me some glucosamine and insisted it would help. I was skeptical but was surprised in a few hours the pain was less. One of the customers in the paint store suggested the drug MOBIC (LOL I told my cousin I couldn’t remember the name…sounded like Moby Dick!!! She is a nurse so she was able to give me the correct name!:lol::lol::lol:) I went to an ortho doctor and he gave me a script. It did help - I was also wearing a knee brace and icing it. The Mobic and glucosamine helped. What really helped was quitting my job. I actually took 3 weeks off first and at the end of 3 weeks I was still hurting and it was so painful at night. I finally just resigned from my job of nearly 10 years. I waited and waited about having surgery. I did ride all summer and my leg improved quiet a bit from not lifting but I started using a mounting block and being very careful.

I went ahead with the surgery (my family also has several members with cranky knees) as I didn’t want it to get worse. I’d had the MRI several months ago - torn meniscus and arthritis in the knee. My knee is swelled and hot to the touch. Gaaaa…

The surgery was a breeze and I didn’t even take any of the pain killers they sent home with me. I took an Advil the next day and one each day for 3 days. The most painful part was above the knee where the doctor later told me it is where the blood pooled and would dissipate and it has.

It is still tender to turn certain ways and pops some but it is getting better. I was told I could ride in 2 weeks which will be this weekend. As of right now it is not hurting any more than before surgery (after much improvement from quitting my job!) and I was riding about 16 miles each weekend. I don’t know if I will ride this weekend or wait one more week. I don’t want to go backwards since I was literally crippled from March through June. I was walking like Fred Sanford! I am still walking stiffly but better.

Sorry for the giant novel but I hope some of this will help yall. Get the Mobic and glucosamine. My cousin, the nurse, has knee issues and also rides. She recommended Osteo Bi-Flex. It did help!!

An RN chimes in here!

I’ve had 3 torn meniscus surgeries on 1 knee. Each time surgery brought 100% relief until I wrenched it again and sprained/re-injured it again…:sadsmile: Done arthroscopically. But you’ll need an MRI first so all I can say is focus on looking for some payment methods.

All those chiro techniques aren’t going to help one bit imho. NSAIDS, ice, rest with proper PT exercises, using a cane, wearing good sneakers/shoes when walking, avoiding walking on uneven ground, avoiding running/jumping, use mounting block to mount/dismount and finally I suggest riding with longer holes like dressage length stirrups should help. Avoid jumping or jarring your knee. Invest in some good flexible stirrup irons. Get any excess weight off. Consider riding in a saddle with minimal knee roll. Trust me I know…knees are a bite!! :yes:
All just my humble opinion! Get a good orthopedist who knows us horse people!