Unlimited access >

Torpedo grass control - Cows? Mini cattle easier than full size?

Aren’t cattle also really hard on fence that’s not hot? Just one more thing to consider.

Can you disc it out? Especially the large patches? If you can disc it up and then rake it out that might help?

No, discing/tilling just spreads the rhizomes therefore spreading the weed.

My fencing is hot. The minis are allegedly not so hard on fencing. But I’ve already abandoned this line if thought and said so above.

Where is that dead horse emoji when you need it? :roll_eyes:

Lets review:
See previous statement about agreeing cows were not a great option.

Glyphosate kills everything. Quinclorac doesnt kill the good grasses was my point, so it does st least have that aspect in its favor.

My pastures do get treated. I’ve paid to have them treated and treated them myself. I prefer to limit my direct exposure. Lymphoma is no joke.

While yes there is a local pasture pro, torpedo grass is a relative newcomer to this area no doubt due to our milder winters and wetter, hotter summers, also previously referenced. So he doesnt have any experience treating pastures with it yet. There’s a learning curve here.

I’m out.

Sorry I don’t have any useful recommendations for you but I just had to say that I am also around ATL and have seen ads for those mini Zebu/Guernsey crosses (unless there are two breeders?) around here and there and they are so stinking cute I’ve had to talk myself out of buying one for my backyard so many times… Adorable. I nearly convinced my parents up in VA they needed some for their farm. The only downside is that if anyone is familiar with “Veggie Tales” and the song about the zebu, you’ll understand that I get that song stuck in my head every time I see anything about zebu and if I had one in the back yard I might never get rid of the song.

Is there any way you could just rent goats to get rid of the grass? I know I’ve seen ads for people with goat herds that will come and let them graze an area for you and clear it out and then take them away. I haven’t seen it here but I know there were some back in VA. Maybe that would help knock it back a bit without them having the opportunity to spread it (if they can spread it like cows?) and you’d only have goats temporarily around.

1 Like

Bummer.

I was curious about this torpedo grass and googled it. Worlds Worst Weed. Yikes!

I know you don’t want to kill what is growing underneath, but what about just (carefully) torching it with a tiger torch? Kill the grass and then you can re-seed with something better - or keep torching as needed to ensure the roots die out. No lingering chemicals and it will control it.

Fortunately this has turned out to be Nimblewill and not torpedo grass, and is not toxic to horses

2 Likes