Total Ankle Replacement and Riding

I sustained a compound fracture to my right ankle 15 years ago, and have had multiple surgeries on it over the years. I’ve been bone-on-bone for some time, but managing it with cortisone injections a few times per year which has minimized the pain. Now, the injections no longer work and my joint spacing is non-existent, so I am considered to have end stage posttraumatic arthritis and on most days the pain is significant, especially by the end of the day. My doc had discussed fusion for several years because I was considered too young for a replacement, but I’m a few years older now and doc says he thinks I’m going to be much happier with a replacement, especially with riding (and he did give the okay to ride with it). I’ll likely be having the surgery in the next several months.

So, does anyone ride with a TAR?

I haven’t had an ankle replaced, but have had shoulder and hip replacement. The shoulder was difficult, but it’s been 6 years now and I have ridden since week 8. Good luck to you!! Do your PT and I’ll bet you’ll be fine!

We might find out together–I’m likely having a TAR myself this spring.

As a veteran of two partial knees I’d like to think I’ll be able to ride in 4-5 weeks but know I’ll be more likely to still have a boot for a month past that. It’ll be more like the previous ankle fracture and foot fusion I’ve experienced-- many weeks of non weight bearing.

Partly the fusion on the other foot made me reject a fused ankle. The foot’s not bad but an ankle fusion likelier to lead to more foot arthritis in the “good” foot.