Total Knee Replacement: Two at a time? And what about Mako-plasty?

I need two new knees, and I’ve already put it off one year. Now I’m going to try to get them both done this summer.

Has anyone done both at once? Good, bad ugly? My doc would prefer I do one, then four weeks later, do the other, just in case anything goes wrong with the first one. I hate that the recovery will be that much longer, but I see his point.

And my partner just showed me this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkjEodGOaaQ

I’m afraid I won’t qualify (no ACL in the left knee, bone-on-bone in both), but I wonder if anyone’s done this–I love how it seems to have a shorter recovery time.

Thanks!

A friend had both done at once… She said if she didn’t do both now ! she would NOT go back for the second. It’s a choice. Personally, when I had a hip done, a usable leg made a lot of difference in getting up and about.
Also, doing one at a time allows Dr. to see how you heal. Dr. then can adjust the second operation to suit.

If you best knee is too far gone to be usable, then it makes sense to do both together.

1 Like

I can only compare to my experience of hip replacement.

I was so happy to have a reliable leg to stand on !! The two surgeries, and recovery are different, however I suspect the mobility challenges are somewhat transferable. Consider this: what if you have more swelling than expected, are less tolerant of pain than you suspect, are less mobile than you hope, experience an infection, have a slip and fall, a major life event occurs during your recovery (life always bites us, so think family member in car accident, parent gets ill, minor house fire etc) or the person you are counting on to cover your back gets sick ( even a bad case of gastro could put them out of commission for 48 hours)

My personal comfort level would not allow me to have this major surgery on both legs at the same time.

Oh God don’t! Had a repair surgery, didn’t fix it. Had a Total Knee replacement, surgeon assured me that I’d been raring to go in 90 days. That was in October of 2016. Now, keep in mind, I went to the God Of Knee Surgeons. Did all the PT, did extra PT. How is it now? Hurts as bad or worse than it did prior. What they don’t tell you is (and there is more than one thing they don’t tell you) if you happen to be profoundly knock kneed, this replacement will straighten your leg to perfect. Two things happen. First, your surrounding ligaments and tendons are pissed off. Really pissed off. They were fine for 55 years and saw no reason to change. Second, you know how if you straighten out a piece of metal it’s now longer? Yep, but you don’t realize that your “new and improved knee” is going to be a half inch longer than your “currently unaffected knee”. You ride, you dance, you have done things your entire life that enable you to control your limbs and muscles down to a fraction of an inch, so a half inch difference is enormous to you. Eventually if you complain enough, PT will make you a lift for the other shoe, and that will help… as long as you are wearing that shoe. Because your new knee hurts, you’ll overuse the other one that wasn’t quite as bad, and it will begin to be agonizingly painful. You may have annoying and painful complications that no one mentioned were possible. Google Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome, for months I couldn’t stand to have anything touch the incision site, I had to sleep with several layers of tegaderm over it because even the softest blanket made me feel like I was being branded. On a scale of 1-10, it’s a 6-7 most days. I have good range of motion, decent strength, but am in pain every hour of every day. Do I need the other one done? Absolutely. Am I going to have it done? when I am dragging it behind me and my toes are bleeding I’ll consider it. Do your homework and ask what the “worse case scenario” is. Of course if I’d lose the extra 40 lbs I packed on over the last 4 years, it “might not” hurt as much. Except I can’t run, or really do any cardio stuff except swimming. Still on medication for the angry nerves. I have friends who had no trouble with two right away and friends who never rode again. Just be informed completely. No way would I do two at once. The one I haven’t done hurts like a bitch, but it still works.

1 Like

My father had both, knowing that it was going to be painful no matter what so might as well go all in. He was in a lot of pain for months but having both done didn’t seem to delay his recovery. I don’t think anyone can know in hindsight what would have been better—how can they compare? I think it comes down to how disciplined you can commit to being about rehab. An argument for one-at-a-time: With one “good” knee you’d have a pressure relief valve, a wAy to lessen pain during rehab/give the surgical knee a break.

1 Like

@notlost , has your surgeon said anything about “Pre-hab”? Working to gain as much strength as your joints will allow prior to surgery? That is one path that a surgeon suggested for a family member, but timing did not allow the luxury of time. Instead, much strength and muscle mass was lost Post-surgery, and recovery took longer. Just wanted to toss that out there to consider. Sorry, I have no close experience with one vs. both knee replacements.

I had both knees done at the same time five years ago. Would I do it again --YES! I went from falling frequently, being unable to go up stairs, having pain going down stairs, and pretty much being a little old lady --to total and complete perfection! Knees work better than normal, legs are stronger than they have ever been, balance is restored, and I can and do ride more than ever (rode my horse 250 miles across MI in 14 days one year after surgery). There are websites [like bonesmart.org]that can tell you how to prepare, and offer day by day recovery time-lines.

But two things worked in my favor --I’m thin --I don’t carry extra weight --and as part of my PT --I had daily swimming for four weeks. Many PT don’t offer swimming yet it’s ideal for joint replacement recovery. So by having 2 done at the same time: 1/2 the medication 1/2 the anesthesia, 1/2 the hospital time, 1/2 the PT, 1/2 the “down time” away from my horse. What I didn’t expect was there was 2x the pain --for about 3-4 days after surgery, I regretted my decision. But then the pain abated and I began to mend. I’m sorry 2ndyrgal has had such a miserable time --but for me --now with a replaced hip, shoulder, and two new knees --I am arthritis free and feel better than I EVER have (knees were painful even in my 20-30s). I’d tell anyone/everyone to tough it out --you are going to be miserable for the first few days if you have one done or two --but you won’t have to go through it twice.

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone. It looks like I’ll be doing them about four months apart after all. I’m a little scared about 2ndyrgal’s post…I’m HORRIBLY knock-kneed. The doctor said it was the worst angle he’d seen–BUT it’s also contributing to my pain (and I’m about 2 cms more than I was three years ago, so it’s getting worse). Ulp. Doing lots of pre-hab, but will try to work on more!

I’ve had 4 knee replacements (I’m anatomically gifted) and each was done separately. Having one good leg to stand on is invaluable after surgery. I came home after each one and took care of myself — I live alone — although I had friends who would come by with ice for the ice pump. I had great results, especially after the second set. Does it hurt? Yes. So glad I had it done when I had good insurance!

I have to get both knees done and am putting it off as long as possible. How long was the down time before you guys went back to riding? Before you could drive? Right now I’m trying to loose weight and build strength before taking the plunge to get them done.

I was a caregiver for a close friend who had both done at once. I stayed with her for a month. I would NEVER have both done at once. Pain, mobility problems, really tough PT…