Unlimited access >

Total Saddle fit Girth

Pros & Cons on Total Saddle fit girth’s for jumping? I need something anatomical

Well, my horse went rein lame with the TSF long girth (definitely the girth - I got off, put another girth on, horse totally fine). I think it was hitting his vagus nerve. So on that note, I would advise trying one if you can before buying!

I use this Professional’s Choice contoured girth, which has a removable neoprene lining. The TPU outer is very thin and flexible and my horse has always been comfortable in it. My saddle fitter loves it too. https://profchoice.com/i-23901601-ventech-contoured-jump-girth.html

I found the curve to be very hits and misses on how it fit the horse. It worked well on my very round barreled horse with a forward girth groove but rubbed my more A framed horse.

On the horse it rubbed, the girth never seemed to consistently contact the skin at the very bottom - it always seemed to have far more pressure on the back and a gap in the front right where the curve of the girth is. TSF seems to say that’s acceptable but my horse disagreed and I have not had this issue with County logic girths.

3 Likes

I have one for a horse with a very forward girth groove - works well and I’m happy with it

1 Like

I used the synthetic TSF girth on my mare and you could see that one edge was digging in. She also hated it. I got a Professional’s Choice VENTech contoured girth with the removable liner and she loves it.

I bought one about a month ago to use on my two horses. Both warmblood hunters. It doesn’t gap on either of my horses, doesn’t slide around, and it’s soft and padded. I like it and my horses go well in it.

Edited to add that mine is the Stretchtec with the elastic at the sternum.

1 Like

Cannot help on a jump girth specifically, but Ponysaurus and I love our dressage girth.

We purchased it when they were doing a “90 Day Use It & Abuse It” promo. 90 days, no questions asked, return it if you weren’t satisfied. Keep an eye on their website…I think they do this a few time a year.

Thank for the info. I have that pro choice contoured girth but it isn’t actually a anatomical girth. I need something set back at the billets

I have a TSF dressage girth. My horse doesn’t have a forward girth, but I do believe he goes ever so slightly better in it than a traditional girth. My beef is that after two years with it, some of the stitching is coming out. I haven’t taken this up with them, but for a $100+ girth, I wouldn’t expect it to be coming apart so soon.

Personally, I wasn’t wowed with the girth or company. It gapped and the sizing is off, runs big. I ordered the same size I have for a regular girth, was way too large, asked to exchange, they said sure, minus $22 for shipping. I threw a little bit of a fit, they finally waived that, sent me a new girth with a giant slash down the front and have since totally ghosted.

My horse hated the TSF girth and it actually sent him into a bronc session. I have the Professional’s Choice VENTech contoured girth and both of my horses love this girth.

You know that one COTHer with the signature that says “the horse world… two people, three opinions” (paraphrasing)…

First, which TSF are we talking about? The original (non-elastic sternum insert) or the Stretch-Tec? Both are worth trying.

I like the idea, the product, and the quality. My original TSF is six years old and still kicking and polishes up well.

The original (non-Stretch-Tec) needs a specific type of conformation and barrel depth to work. It did not work for my TB that has a broad, wedge-shaped heart girth or my WB filly. It does work great for the truly symmetrically cylinder-shaped barrels like our mutton-withered, sausage-shaped STB.

My TB does go better in it despite the gapping. I don’t see a difference in the STB’s movement but the saddle, which is prone to slipping, stays secure with the TSF. The WB filly absolutely hated the TSF because it gapped and caused uneven pressure. Three very different opinions for one girth!

I have the Stretch-Tec in my cart as a future purchase. The original has served me well and I’d like to see if the Stretch-Tec addresses the gapping issue I see in my two. It’s worth trying and the customer service is great and will work with you.

Hm. I would say it runs small so your mileage may vary. I had to size up both from the ponies’ 46 double side elastic professionals choice and my horse’s 50 leather single side elastic.
I like it. My saddle fitter recommended it, and I use it with the rear two billets. It looks loose on the sides when it is tight and people will tell you to tighten your girth. But my saddle stays put for 4 hours of hunting and horse is happy. Cleans up nice and has held up, although I have heard of people with stitching issues.

My 21 year old OTTB enjoys her TSF girth - ours does not have the elastic in the middle. I struggle with her shoulders a little in general (they get tight and I stretch her before every ride after I put her girth on.) I have noticed she is slightly less girthy with this than our regular girth. I do not have any problems with it sliding. I did get the leather version because I just hate synthetic stuff in general.

She got very porky over the winter so our normal 46 in is now too small and I am going to be buying a 48in shortly, but IMO it didn’t seem to run small (she has historically always been a 46in except when I first got her off the track and I could get a 42 on her!)

I do have friends who did not like them, so I really think it’s just a matter of what your horse feels good in.

1 Like

Thank for the info everyone. I decided to go with the stretch tec style.

2 Likes