Unlimited access >

Trading for lessons insulting?

Like others, I have a bartering relationship with my trainer. We both have something the other wants. I want the use of horse at minimal cost. He wants a competent amateur in the barn who can help him work a horse and can show a not-pushbutton horse without panicking. The only real problem is that I live 100 miles from the barn. Small detail.

On my end, I have provided a range of different things. The arrangement started as he needed a set of work harness and I had one that was not being used. ‘Rent’ on my harness was drive time with one horse. By the end of the summer I was driving 2-4 horses. We were both pleasantly surprised by my competence (I hadn’t driven a horse in several years). I’m mechanically inclined, so I often end up fixing stuff. Earlier this spring, I refinished a pony cart so it’s show ring ready. Next projects are director chair backs and hanging baskets for the show spread. My crock pot also goes to shows with me. A couple pounds of pulled pork goes a long way. The waffle maker might take it’s place at the next show.

One thing that I keep in mind is that while doing things like cleaning 4 sets of harness is a big help timewise, it doesn’t help his cash flow. Several years ago when negotiating a salary the employer pointed toward tuition assistance. Great, but I have a degree and that doesn’t pay the rent.

Like others I urge you to rethink your marital finances a bit. While I haven’t had the joy mixed finances myself, I ended up bailing my sister out after a relationship went south. You could be married to the bestest, most wonderful man in the world, having a rainy day fund in your name is still a good plan. A phone in your name, or the ability to get one (even just a tracphone) is a good idea as well. I could apologize for life making me cynical, but I won’t.

3 Likes

I can suggest one of those propane pizza ovens as a very, very popular horse show food accessory.

3 Likes

I second this, its not very likely that this trainer will know or understand the value of your work, but there are clients out there who do.

If you really want riding opportunities on a budget, try working at a barn on the weekends: its $$ for horse cuddles and depending on the barn there may be a horse or two for you to ride (for free).

This is the crux of the issue right here. A lot of small businesses who don’t have fancy websites or professional marketing will say it’s because it’s “too expensive”. But usually that phrase doesn’t mean “I’d pay for it if only I could afford it” – it means “it’s priced higher than it’s worth to me.”

Offering your services to a business that doesn’t value those services is not a great recipe for long-term satisfaction. Far better, as others have already suggested, to get paid for your services and use the income to pay for lessons.

I bartered for lessons once – I did weekend feeding/stalls in exchange for a weekly lesson. I ended the arrangement after a couple months, because the lessons were constantly getting rescheduled, and when I managed to get an hour of her time, she was distracted and disinterested. It was obvious she was treating the lessons as an annoying favor to me, rather than something I’d paid for.

Barter is great when both sides perceive the trade as a good value to them.

4 Likes

Off topic but literally EVERY time I see the title of this thread I read it as you want to trade lessons in exchange for insulting people. EVERY. TIME. :rofl: (it is not a problem with the title but a problem with my reading comprehension!)

7 Likes