Unlimited access >

Trail rides out of San Antonio TX short hauling

Folks,

I am a 1 year along transplant from the far north to San Antonio TX and am boarding with a new great friend who has a trailer and a young horse. We are in north east central San Antonio along I-35.

We’d like to trailer out to some good riding areas, maybe state parks or whatever.

Any recommendations appreciated. Day trips probably best at least at first.

Thanks!

Look at the Texas Parks and Wildlife website for parks with allowed equestrian use. Hill Country State Natural Area is in Bandera, and then there is Guadalupe River State Park.

Also, check to see if the Old Hancock trail on the north side of Canyon Lake is currently open.

Thanks much Jarpur! We will check these out.

[QUOTE=thoroughbred21;8225169]
Folks,

I am a 1 year along transplant from the far north to San Antonio TX and am boarding with a new great friend who has a trailer and a young horse. We are in north east central San Antonio along I-35.

We’d like to trailer out to some good riding areas, maybe state parks or whatever.

Any recommendations appreciated. Day trips probably best at least at first.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Years ago, I joined friends to ride at McKinney Roughs. The trails were fantastic and the scenery, beautiful. There are day camp sites and port-a-potties. I hear the place has been kept up over the years.

http://www.lcra.org/parks/developed-parks/Pages/mckinney-roughs-nature-park.aspx

ETA: MR is located between Austin and Bastrop, off Hwy 71.

Wow I would love to go out there sometime. I’ve never been trail riding - how funny is that. I need to convince my one horsey acquaintance that a trail ride sounds nice - one that has her passing my place with her trailer on the way. Lol.

I have not trail ridden out here, personally. However, I know quite a few people that love Bandera State Parks. Boerne is supposed to have a few nice places you can trailer too, and up near Austin where someone on here already mentioned. There are also quite a few Hill Country riding groups that trailer out and group trail together!

Thanks to everyone for these great ideas.

We now have plans in the works for an overnight to McKinney Roughs and staying at the Happy Horse Hotel (who could resist that name?):

http://www.happyhorsehotel.com/HHH/HHH_home.html

And also the Guadalupe. We will explore the Boerne options as that is super close.

Very grateful! Belmont, will try to remember to pm you so maybe you and your pal can join us. We are two ladies with comparatively quiet gaited horses who are happy to walk all day and enjoy nature.

Ooh oh…me too me too! I board at retama and my trail riding buddy moved…

Definitely Jesterjigger!

Have fun! I stayed at the Happy Horse Hotel with a friend a couple of summers ago.

I hadn’t originally recommended McKinney Roughs because I thought it might be a little bit farther than you wanted to haul, but it’s one of our favorite places to go. Such a nice change to ride in the pine trees and down by the Colorado River. However, the biting flies were horrid the last couple of times, so be prepared for that.

[QUOTE=Belmont;8230931]
I have not trail ridden out here, personally. However, I know quite a few people that love Bandera State Parks. Boerne is supposed to have a few nice places you can trailer too, and up near Austin where someone on here already mentioned. There are also quite a few Hill Country riding groups that trailer out and group trail together![/QUOTE]

back in the 1990s we used to ride NATRC rides at Bandera State Park… please watch out for rattle snakes, they are plentiful there