Unlimited access >

Trail saddle for the dressage rider

I was wondering if the members could recommend a saddle for me, or a really good saddle fitter in Northern California who works with with Western, Australian, and English saddles. I would either like a Western saddle or an Australian stock saddle. The saddle must have a horn, so I can pony another horse, and useful rings to attach things to for trail riding.

I currently ride in a Wintec Isabell dressage saddle, and I it love because it has a deep seat and places the rider in a correct “classical” dressage position, with the back upright and the legs hanging down straight. I also like that it has a very close contact feel, especially when the removable thigh blocks are taken off. I love that it is synthetic, making it easier to clean and lighter to lift onto my horse! I have tried the Wintec western saddle, however, and I don’t like how stiff the fenders are. I am also not totally set on getting another synthetic saddle, since I know the options are quite limited for synthetic western or Australian stock saddles.

Basically, I’m looking for a saddle with a horn and some rings that has a deep seat and puts the rider in a classical dressage position. I would also like a saddle that is as lightweight and close contact as possible. For what it’s worth, the saddle would be for a 17 hand thoroughbred with high withers and a long, sloping shoulder.

I would love to hear what the members can recommend to help me out! Thank you!

Check out John Fallis - Fallis balanced ride saddles. You can get a typical western saddle, or an endurance model.

They are the closest I’ve ever found to how my dressage saddle feels; you don’t feel like you’re straddling a 55-gallon barrel.

Since you do like synthetic, look at the Big Horn half synthetic, half leather saddles. I love the position it puts me in. I’ve successfully ponied horses on the saddle. My gelding is a slim TWH, kind of like a slightly thicker TB.

Plus side? They are pretty inexpensive to at least try out, and seem to re-sell quite well on Ebay if it doesn’t work out.

Don’t know where in CA you are, but try contacting Susan at Saddles that Fit. She has a trailer full of dressage, endurance, and western saddles and will bring them to you for a thorough fitting on your horse.

If you want synthetic, try Abetta or Fabtron. I have a Fabtron Cross Trail that is all leather and has stirrups in the classical position, as does the Abetta. Not sure if all Abettas do though.

I’ve ponied on trails (and on the track) for years and I can say I really wouldn’t want the horse dallied to the horn, even with quick release. But if you have experience ponying and want to do it that way, it’s your call (and the following recommendation won’t help you because it doesn’t have a horn).

But if you are not familiar with ponying, consider that bit of advice (if that is what you wanted the horn for - I kind of assumed that, and you know what they say about assumptions!), and also the Tucker Gen Eq II puts you in a fairly similar seat as a dressage saddle (you will never get 100% there as long as you have a western seat, but it is pretty close).

In fact my only complaint with it is that it technically is the worst of both worlds - mine has a western seat/english skirt/stirrups. Western seats do not lock you in like the bucket effect of a dressage seat, but western fender/stirrups stabilize your leg, and by consequence help stabilize your seat. Dressage seats stabilize your seat but you have to work to stabilize your leg. Unfortunately the Gen Eq requires you work to stabilize your seat and leg when you are posting. I mean assuming you are working on your eq, which I find highly overrated. But when you are not, it is a very comfy saddle with a tone of heavy duty rings/attachment points. You will have to order a used one, I noticed they do not make them any more (probably because most people would ultimately replace with a western saddle, but if you want the closest thing to a dressage seat, I bet it is just the thing!)

I second the suggestion of the saddle fitting company Saddles that Fit. I had my mind set on an endurance saddle, I tried so many different saddles I lost count, but fell in love with an Arabian Saddle Company Solstice, lots of d-rings to tie things to, great position on trail. I do pony horses in that saddle, never any issues (even with the dirty stoppers!).

DMK, thanks for the advice. After doing some reading, I’ve decided to just hold the lead while ponying. I’m just going to stick to my super comfortable Wintec Isabell for the trail! Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I’ve ponied on trails (and on the track) for years and I can say I really wouldn’t want the horse dallied to the horn, even with quick release. But if you have experience ponying and want to do it that way, it’s your call (and the following recommendation won’t help you because it doesn’t have a horn).

But if you are not familiar with ponying, consider that bit of advice (if that is what you wanted the horn for - I kind of assumed that, and you know what they say about assumptions!), and also the Tucker Gen Eq II puts you in a fairly similar seat as a dressage saddle (you will never get 100% there as long as you have a western seat, but it is pretty close).

This. Don’t pony from the horn.

I love English saddles for trail riding so if I had a dressage saddle I would just trail ride in it.

When you start ponying, I would suggest a leather strap just doubled back - that’s how it is done at the track. Start in a small enclosed area (round pen/small arena) and if things go sideways, you just let go of one strap and you don’t have the ponied horse dealing with a loose lead line as well.

Once you are done with the “introduction” to ponying, you can do a regular lead (I have a leather shank with a leather covered chain that I used). And yeah, you don’t need a western saddle! The subjects in these pics were a retired hunter and a 2 year old TB.

ponied horse

this can happen when you are not looking

ponying is great to teach young horses about trail riding!