Unlimited access >

Trailer Camera

I’m going to ask Santa for a trailer camera. :):slight_smile:

Suggestions?

Does it have to be a “horse trailer” one or are there other wireless camera options that may be better?

Another question is what kind of camera do you want?

• One for hitching up?
  • One for catching the horses when hauling?
  • One for seeing what’s behind the trailer when backing it up?

LetItBe

Primarily for seeing inside the trailer when driving, but the others would be a bonus.

[QUOTE=LetItBe;8947652]
Another question is what kind of camera do you want?

• One for hitching up?
  • One for catching the horses when hauling?
  • One for seeing what’s behind the trailer when backing it up?

LetItBe[/QUOTE]

We have this one, the older model, that was under $100.-.
Ours is silver and several years old:

http://www.iballhitchcam.com/products/5-8ghz-iball-wireless-trailer-hitch-camera?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=11354825537&gclid=CNz2-ca6vdACFQmOaQod5A4NeQ

It works fine, the camera has a magnetic base you can stick anywhere inside the trailer you have metal magnets attach to and you can see the whole inside of the trailer from the right spot.

The monitor sticks into the cigarette lighter plug and is easy to see.

The batteries on the camera have lasted us some 6 to 8 hours, so if you go on longer trips, take some spares.

There are other brands that work about the same.

We had a wireless “Trailer Eyes”. It was ok but the mounts were junk.

Now we have a wired trailer camera that was installed with our new trailer. Much better.

we have camera and monitor from http://horsetrailermonitor.com/ and love them. can see horses inside trailer and have camera in LQ so we can see the dogs. we also have a back up camera but hardly use it.

I have the older version, and the battery will last MAYBE four hours. Generally if I haul two hours away, I bring a battery and switch out before going home otherwise it dies mid-trip.

http://www.iballhitchcam.com/products/iball-wireless-trailer-hitch-camera

[QUOTE=TheJenners;8948366]
I have the older version, and the battery will last MAYBE four hours. Generally if I haul two hours away, I bring a battery and switch out before going home otherwise it dies mid-trip.

http://www.iballhitchcam.com/products/iball-wireless-trailer-hitch-camera[/QUOTE]

That is the kind we have also.

We stick it thru the slats of the stock trailer up under the roof on the right side and can see the horses and can access the camera also without going into the trailer, to move it around or change batteries, so that is no trouble.

I’ve heard of people using and liking video baby monitors, but have no experience myself. I’m also on the hunt for a trailer camera system so curious to see the responses!

also hard wired work better than wireless. ask me how i know…

I emailed this company and they said the camera may cut in and out because it’s really not made to go inside the trailer. You don’t have this problem?

I emailed this company and they said the camera may cut in and out because it’s really not made to go inside the trailer. You don’t have this problem?

[QUOTE=Bluey;8947741]
We have this one, the older model, that was under $100.-.
Ours is silver and several years old:

http://www.iballhitchcam.com/products/5-8ghz-iball-wireless-trailer-hitch-camera?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=11354825537&gclid=CNz2-ca6vdACFQmOaQod5A4NeQ

It works fine, the camera has a magnetic base you can stick anywhere inside the trailer you have metal magnets attach to and you can see the whole inside of the trailer from the right spot.

The monitor sticks into the cigarette lighter plug and is easy to see.

The batteries on the camera have lasted us some 6 to 8 hours, so if you go on longer trips, take some spares.

There are other brands that work about the same.[/QUOTE]

My cousin does car audio/video stuff. I may ask him about hard wiring something.

[QUOTE=i<3dogs;8948595]
also hard wired work better than wireless. ask me how i know…[/QUOTE]

Reviving this thread- technology and gadgets have come a long way since 2016. What’s your favorite camera for keeping an eye on the horses mid trip?

Following this thread!

I have one, I’ll have to look up which one when I get home (Trailer Eyes sounds familiar, but I’m not sure). It works really well, and I have it hung upside down front and center of the trailer. It is hard wired to the trailer’s harness so it powers on when the trailer does, and has a remote antennae that I have in my tack room’s front window. I have an Android tablet in my truck with an app (iCam, I think) that connects wirelessly to the camera and displays the image. My camera can tilt and pan, so I can aim it at various parts of the trailer using the swipe method on the display provided by the app (I learned how it all worked sitting in my living room, before I actually installed anything - a bit of a learning curve with virtually no instructions). The app also allows you to video and take snap shots, although I’ve not found a need to do either.

The camera paid for itself over and over again the day I hauled my 18 month old filly home on her first trailer ride ever, loose in the stall area (I had taken out the divider so just one big box stall) and could watch her the entire four hour trip. I saw her be anxious, then get curious, then get bored, then nap. She moved around a lot at first, then just slowly circled around looking out the windows, and then finally settled with a hind leg cocked facing the back corner. Knowing what and how she was doing that whole ride was priceless.

1 Like