Unlimited access >

Trailer Ceiling Sweats, Spray on insulation?

My new aluminum trailer has a sweating problem. Is there a recommended spray on product that I can use to solve this? Using a dehumidifier would be a hassle and the sweating is throughout, from horse box to tack room. Any suggestions? Thanks!

My aluminum trailer was insulated, including the ceiling, so sweating wasn’t an issue; my 2015 galvanized steel trailer, however, was sprayed during manufacturing with an insulating product. I have had no problems with condensation.

I asked the factory what this was, when we picked up the trailer, and I was told it was an automotive insulating product made by Sherwin-Williams. However, searching the S-W website just now, I failed to find anything of that description. It’s black, matte, and not entirely smooth in appearance, if that helps.

My OLD featherlite aluminum trailer was sprayed early in it’s life (probably in the 80’s), with spray on insulation. It was long before I owned it, so I can’t tell you WHAT it is, just looks like hard foam, lumpy. It is GREAT. Stays cool in the summer in there, doesn’t sweat. Apparently indestructible stuff.

Thanks!

How thick is the sprayed on insulation?

How much does it reduce the inside height of the trailer?

There is a horse trailer conversion FB page that I adore. In it, while plenty of people do use spray foam, the pros are strongly against it. It comes loose, holds moisture, and a bunch of other issues.

You can use the 3/4 or 1 inch pink or purple insulation boards from your hardware store, cut them slightly oversize and wedge them between the ribs on your ceiling. Then tape with aluminum tape (not duct tape).

It sweats because there is a temperature difference inside to outside and it isn’t insulated. You can insulate the ceiling in the horse area the same way and cover it with a thin wall paneling used for food trailers if you attach wood strips to the ribs and nail it on.
You don’t really lose height because you are filling the gap between the ribs.

The S-W product I posted about is a paint-type product, not a spray-on foam, and my trailer is a relatively airy GN combo-stock.

My aluminum CM trailer (made in Armstrong, BC) - there is another one not connected to the BC company somewhere - came with an orangey spray on insulation. It never sweats and keeps the trailer cooler for longer. Never shifted, cracked, etc. My trailer is about 18 - 20 years old. Still in great shape and well maintained.

You could contact them and maybe they would be willing to share – tell the I sent you! They are a family run operation and I’ve had excellent communications with them.

CM Manufacturing Ltd, Armstrong, BC.

(250) 546-8883

Check out their Facebook page if you are interested.

If you go to the conversion FB page that Enjoytheride mentioned make sure you go to Horse Trailer Conversions II, not just plain Horse Trailer Conversions. That website was hacked. The admins moved over to II. Lots of good info.

2 Likes

On FB I typed Horse Trailer Conversions II and 2 groups showed:

Horse Trailer Conversions and Horse Trailer Conversion - is it the one with or without the “s” ?

I think the reason why I can’t find it is because it is set as a “private group” - it shows that next to the 61k members

When I search this is what shows up: