Unlimited access >

Trailer for the big stocky type

I currently have an older Travalong BP two horse slant trailer that I really like. It’s in great shape and tows great. One of my horses who is super at hauling is a1,200 lb quarter horse. Even though he fits in the stall he must sit on the sidewall and popped the welds that I had to have repaired. So I’m looking for a bigger trailer and not finding any two horse slants that come wider than my current trailer. Is there a brand that offers wider? Or would I be better off looking into switching to a stock type or a straight load?

the legal width on U.S. roads is 8’6”, the interior width can be 6’8” before the wheel wells would need to be inside the trailer.

here is an older article from 2010 from CoTH that is goes through the differences

2 Likes

Just asking out of interest - is there a certain divider angle to side wall that all slant loads are, or do they vary among brands and models?

The angle and size of the slant load stalls varies by manufacturer, and you can always have one custom built with extra length, making the diagonal longer.

2 Likes

I’ve owned all 3:
Straightload, Slant & currently Stock.
I would never own anything else besides a stock again. And nothing other than aluminum.
Preferably BP because climbing in & out of a truck bed is in my rearview (thanks, aged knees :expressionless:)
I find the stock configuration the most flexible.
Big horse, mini, all can ride comfortably.
And I can fit 2 mini carts in front, mini behind the center gate when I’m Driving.
I could also separate 2 horses if needed.
In my case, I could also haul my 3 - horse, pony & mini - together.
Right now there are a lot of 16’ stock trailers available at decent prices.

1 Like

You can haul backwards in the slant. Let them lean over the divider. That gives you more room because they can put their head over the back of the other horse. If your horse isn’t friendly enough for that, definitely a straight load or slant.