Unlimited access >

Trailer loading issues - Chester County, PA trainers?

I feel like this is a regular topic for me!

I haul regularly. 3-5 times a week with my 10 year old thoroughbred. Since I got him, he’s been a very good loader. He may not love my trailer, but he’s been fabulous to load. I had an old 2 horse step up stock with the divider removed. He walked on, tied, and even sometimes snacked on alfalfa. We haul a mile so he’s not on long.

2 weeks ago, the axle broke on our drive. We were 30 seconds from our destination and were able to safely turn into the driveway and park. We were driven home by a fellow lesson haul in in a 2 horse w/ramp. Trailer made him nervous (first time he didn’t load automatically) but he got on and we took the mile drive home.

Due to the age of my trailer, I purchased a new trailer. Same style but an upgrade in terms of age. It’s 30 years newer. I do have the divider in but it’s a step up stock, 2 horse straight load and the brightest, airiest thing ever (my old one was pretty dark). It’s a bit higher to step up into but I don’t think that’s the issue.

Horse says NO WAY. It could be the trailer, it could be residual from the broken axle. But we’re not getting into the trailer.

I’ve been working on pressure and release, but don’t know how far to push. I don’t want to ask for more and not get it. He will now walk up to the trailer and look inside but that’s as far as we go. He offered a leg yesterday and we ended there (pressure forward then release).

The trainer I’ve worked with in the past on trailer issues isn’t in the area anymore. He gave me a couple of names so I do have someone coming out. But I’m always open to other names in case this is a bigger issue. I’m thinking if it looks like he needs trailer boot camp and I need to send him for 30 days. Any suggestions for trainer recommendations in Chester/Lancaster County, PA or nearby Cecil County, MD? I need 20 backup plans or I stress!

No suggestions. Just want to say it sounds like you don’t need one. You are doing a great job listening to his concerns and he is responding.

2 Likes

I get emotional and I know my limitations. There is a reason why I want to employ a trainer. I may have the tools, but I know where I fall short and that’s letting emotion get involved! It takes everything I have not to let it come out when working with my gelding ( and then I go inside and cry :laughing: ). Sometimes a pro who isn’t invested in the same way can be the best choice.

That said, will we need 30 days of professional training? Probably not. But backup plans decrease my anxiety and are another tool to have around.

2 Likes

Completely understand. I thought perhaps you just didn’t have confidence in yourself. Good for you for knowing when to step back. You have a lucky horse.

1 Like

Been there, done that, except the problem is unloading not loading. I will follow along here.

How tall is the new step up vs. the old one?

My old horse (as in, he’s 30,) would not get in my new step-up stock trailer. It was a much bigger step up than my old trailer. (It’s an Exiss stock combo, so the base ‘stock’ trailer it starts out as is not really designed for horses.) I ended up having to add a ramp on top of the back doors, and then train him to walk up the ramp which he wasn’t used to, and now we can go places again.

@wsmoak it is definitely a larger step than the old one. I don’t know how high the old one was (don’t currently have access to it), but the new one is 15" or 16" high. I measured yesterday but I can’t remember the exact height. My horse is 10 and athletic and can walk over 2-foot fences without hesitation (he happily walks over 2ft roll tops, flower boxes, gates, liverpools, etc.). When he started jumping and didn’t understand the concept, we walked over things until it clicked. If he can walk over 2ft by 2ft rolltop, stepping up 16 inches shouldn’t be an issue. I think it might be 3 inches higher than my old trailer.

Roddy Strang is great for stuff like this https://www.roddystrang.com/

But I think if you can move the partition over or remove it that might be a good thing to try. My horses are definitely happiest loading with it angled over to make a bigger opening (but happily load into a single stall if there’s another horse already in, go figure.)

I don’t know why they haven’t updated the website, but Roddy is in Florida now. The Facebook page has the new address.

As @furlong47 pointed out, Roddy is in Florida or he’d already be out! He’s the best and solved my previous horse’s issues.

Angling the divider hasn’t made a difference though I haven’t removed it completely yet.

Clicker and target training? I had this work with my little mare who says, “respectfully, p*ss off,” to any kind of natural horsemanship training. She will happily get in any trailer now, usually by her own. Sometimes I have to lead her in. I used to trailer her off property alone all the time so this was a need for me.

I think the other thing that helps once you get them in the trailer is for there to be something super fun on the other side. A chance at some really good grass, a fun trail ride, etc. I think going off property and overfacing them is a recipe for trailer misery.

2 Likes

I think what I’m stuck on is I’m not sure if it is THE trailer or ANY trailer. This horses has hauled 3-5 times a week for a year plus without any issues. While he’s had breaks, it’s been pretty consistent. He’s never loved my old trailer (it’s was loud and rickety but safe until the axle incident but even then he didn’t get hurt and I never lost a wheel and he was on the trailer for 2 minutes 30 seconds total) but he’d load without issue.

So this refusal to get on makes me wonder if it’s a true NO or fear. There was a lot of shaking and what what looked like fear initially but now there seems to just be a block. I don’t know what to do with the block (intellectually I do, in the moment? I’m not great with waiting things out as I doubt myself). I need an independent 3rd party to help and I don’t have that right now. None of my good horse friends are local and I need to step back so my uncertainty doesn’t come through.

With my old gelding, he had a much bigger issue but I got him to a certain point. In 75 minutes, Roddy was able to have him self loading when I couldn’t get him in the trailer. Could I have used the tools? Yes, but my doubt was apparent and my horse knew. I think I was so caught off guard that I’m having flashbacks to my old gelding (after that one session he never had issues loading again, even the day we lost him to colic).

All this tells me is that part of the issue is me and I’m partially giving off vibes saying I’m not sure. The second I see him get on once? I’ll be ok. But until then? I need a second experienced horse person around, one who can take the lead.

Just adding that while he doesn’t always appreciate having to work when we go haul places (I have no place to ride at home), he LOVES hanging out in the cross ties at the barn where we ride. His favorite thing ever. He gets attention and treats and gets to watch the world. That is his favorite activity! Plus sometimes he gets to jump or play over poles which he also adores. Flatwork is still eh to him.

Remove the divider. I don’t think you need 30 days anywhere, you need someone versed in the use of the belly rope for the calm, passive, firm get-on-the-trailer work. A half dozen loading events should get him past his block. And don’t think for a second that waiting to cry inside keeps your emotions from your horse. It undoubtably helps, but they are SO sensitive, they know when and just how much you’re stressed.

1 Like

I’ll definitely remove the divider. It’s not solid, but it definitely can’t hurt. I’m only planning to haul one so a box stall is definitely an option until we’re used to the trailer.

And yes, I want a no-nonsense calm but firm hand (quick to reward/release when appropriate). Someone without emotion! Exactly why I am NOT right for this job. I have a few names Roddy Strang passed along who are willing to help so we’ll see how that goes. I certainly don’t think he’d need a 30-day boot camp, but if that was what it took, I’d be open to it. Actually, with this horse? Once he gets in the trailer once, he’ll probably be completely ok. That is who he is. Once he figures something out, it just isn’t an issue.

I just thought I’d update to say we had one session today and he’s loading in the trailer. I’m going to continue to practice everyday (short, hopefully successful sessions) and we’ll have a second session to work on self-loading (he did that a couple of times but the concept is a little confusing). I was definitely a little defeated and dramatic when I posted.

6 Likes

A shot in the dark, but if it’s a new trailer, could it be the smell? If it is new, I would bed it deeply in shavings and try again.

Yay!!! That is wonderful! Great job on both your parts.

That is awesome!

I’m having my own version of this right now. My mare is afraid (as in shaking in fear) of backing off the trailer (yes, SI and hock injections recently done, and she’s using her hind end better than she has in a couple of years.) She scared herself on Saturday morning (self-loaded way too quickly and bounced off the chest bar), and her unloading issue, that has been a problem for a while, is now a block. She has been very comfortable in the trailer until it is time to back out.

So no trailer for a while, other than stopping by occasionally to let her munch hay from the vinyl “manger” inside the escape door. She likes that. (And the trailer is home now because DH wants to have a look at the undercarriage; we have a grease pit thanks to the former owner of the house, who installed one in the barn so he could work on his long-haul truck cab.)

The wonderful barn manager has set up simple groundwork exercises – right now a single pole, walking over it and backing over it, walking along side it and backing along side it, and is giving me some coaching. I should have figured out she knew this stuff, as she put manners and basic training on a lot of young horses before she came to us.

1 Like

One more update!

I planned to have the trainer out again, but it hadn’t happened yet. I did a few sessions solo and things have been…OK. Today, we started off sticky. He loaded, but was hesitant? Ultimately, I caved and offered a peppermint after a couple of loads. Suddenly, his attitude changed and instead of hopping on and wanted to exit immediately, we stepped up and stood. I even clipped him a few times. He had no care in the world (even licked the trailer because, why not). Eventually, I had to force him off because he decided that there was no point in fully exiting the trailer if I was just going to ask him to walk back on (he started trying to leave his front feet on). The sighs I got when I made him fully exit…

After that, just because, I decided to see where we were with self loading. Immediately he stepped his front feet on and then stopped and didn’t know what to do. Second attempt? With a little encouragement with the stick (used as an arm extention, nothing else) to push him forward it clicked and he hopped up and just waited for me. Peppermint and scratched until I forced him to exit the trailer (new theme, I don’t want to leave). We repeated a few time with the divider pushed over. After the second attempt, no stick was needed and just a cluck and he was in the trainer. The final time (time 5?), I actually moved the divider back in normal position and asked him to self load. No problem! He hopped up and hung out, waiting for me. I actually asked him that time to back out on his own and that worked well too.

Needless to say, I am VERY happy. He was VERY proud of himself. We’ll continue practicing, but we’re definitely on the right path!

5 Likes

You rock and your horse is a superstar! Thanks for the great updates.

2 Likes