Unlimited access >

Trailer purchase advice

I’m looking to purchase a 3-4 horse trailer.

I drive a 2000 3/4 Chevy longbed single cab, and would like to keep the weight of the trailer right around 5000 lbs.

I need a tack room and do not want living quarters.

I have to pay under $7000, but would prefer to be around $5000 - $6000.

I don’t currently have a gooseneck hitch, and with an older truck I am reticent to install one. I prefer pulling a gooseneck trailer, though, so I’m not against it.

I would buy an older, higher quality trailer over a newer, lower quality.

I would love some input into:
Install a gooseneck hitch or not in an older truck? I got a quote for ~$600 to install a turnover ball.
Steel v aluminum?
2004 CM gooseneck 3 horse slant load or 2004 Silver lite bumper pull 3 horse slant load (same price)

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

If you want a 3/4 horse trailer I think a GN would be best – definitely more stable and most larger trailers are GNs. If you want to keep weight down look at aluminum trailers.

I got a quote for ~$600 to install a turnover ball in my truck…think it’s worth it?

Thank you for the quick response!

The last time I had a gooseneck hitch install was 2001, and back then it was at least $500, so yes, it seems like it is worth it.

Personally, I would prefer a gooseneck trailer, especially if you are looking at a minimum of three horses. 3/4 horses in a bumper pull trailer is a lot of weight on the back end of a truck, and you can get the tail wagging the dog pretty quickly that way.

You don’t say where you a located, but location has much to do with what type of trailer you buy. I lived all my life in the northeast until two years ago, and aluminum was the smarter purchase for that area. I live in the south now, and see many more steel trailers due to the fact they do not use as much salt down here so there is less corrosion going on. From what I have seen though, aluminum trailers hold resale value better than steel.

I live in western Colorado, so there is mag chloride, but I don’t haul that often in winter and the amounts are pretty low comparably.

I’m concerned about long-term durability of aluminum and also the lower strength in a collision-just seems like steel is a better idea. But the weight is so much more!

Thank you!

In my immediate area, you can get really good deals on used 3 or 4 horse steel gooseneck trailers. They seem to “depreciate” a lot more than aluminum trailers or 2 horse bumper pulls of any construction, I assume because there is less of a market for them. Fewer people have GN towing capabilities and they are bigger and heavier trailers than many horse people want/need. Great news when purchasing a used steel GN, although it may not be so great if you ever want to sell it.

Anything aluminum seems to hold its value much better.

Echoing what others have said, if you are willing to install a GN hitch, it’s going to be a much more stable ride when towing three horses. I don’t think you’ll regret it.

My two cents would be to make up your mind on the GN and if that’s the way you plan to go, then do that first. Price seems about right for the install. But it’s not out of the question that an older truck may have excessive rust or give your shop enough problems with installation that you might want to get that out of the way before you actually put money down on a GN trailer.

I’d be hesitant to pull a loaded steel four horse with a 3/4 ton truck. Especially in the mountains. For four, aluminium is probably the way to go. For three, maybe steel would be okay. But do really consider the weight of the horses and trailer and run the numbers.

Totally agree with others on the gooseneck question. A heavy bumper pull is not super fun to haul!

[QUOTE=HHWS;8751112]
I got a quote for ~$600 to install a turnover ball in my truck…think it’s worth it?[/QUOTE]

A lot of shops charge that much for the hitch alone w/o install.

Is it a B&W?

Definitely go with a GN. A 3 horse bumper pull is sensitive to loading balance while a GN is not.
$600 for a turnover hitch installed is fair. A B+W turnover GN hitch (Top of line) is $440 delivered.