Unlimited access >

trailer size

Hi there!

Looking to get my first trailer as I just bought a small little farm/ranch. My guy is my old hunter and is 17.1 and a beefy warmblood. I live out west in true quarter horse country (16 h is considered big).

I am looking at some really nice 2 and 3 horse slant load trailers but all are 6’9" wide–is this wide enough for my big guy to fit? The other alternative would be a bumper-pull straight load where width doesn’t really matter.

Alternatively, a stock trailer could work as well. I know that my old imported warmblood has NEVER set foot in a stock trailer so any advice pertaining to that would be appreciated!

We aren’t going long distances–mainly local things and possible 2-3 hours out. Any advice/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

love my stick trailer and it will solve your width issue but you will have trouble finding one high enough - you may have to buy one then get it raised by a local welder fabricator

I would go with a stock trailer if it had a ramp. Make sure it is taller, 7ft should work if he is not really high headed naturally. I want the ramp because stepping down to get out is longer than regular horse trailers. Add a low spot you parked over and he might be unable to even reach the ground! I am presuming he is backing out, hard to turn such a big horse around inside to lead him out.

You can cover the slat sides with plywood for winter hauling to remove cold wind on him. We do that with our stock trailer, horses inside are plenty warm.

I have not liked how slant loads fit my large bodied horses. I feel horses ride better, have more stall room in a true rectangle stall with square corners, over the angled trapezoid stall of slant stalls. Horse always is leaning one butt cheek on the wall, with weight on his right front foot to hold himself in place for travel, never pressure on other body parts. Mine actually did not fit to close the divider, even using two horses spaces. Her nose was crammed into one corner, whole side on the front divider, still too long bodied to shut divider of second stall. No way she could ride like that, wouldn’t ask it of her.

You could “try on” any trailer you consider buying, sometimes seeing is believing with actual fit of the bigger horses. Husband and slant trailer salesman had a side bet that he could talk me into getting a slant, was sure I would love it when I saw it. Sure chance of new trailer was wonderful. But when horse didn’t fit comfortably trailer was useless to me, certainly would not buy the thing anyway! Salesman had to pay husband after losing the bet, when I said no to the new slant trailer.

We use the stock trailer for many things, perhaps it would be equally useful to you in your new location. Husband added our ramp, but you could have the local welding shop fabricate and install a ramp for you. We can load the tractor to use in other locations or get it repaired. Easier loading hay with the ramp to walk up with bales in hand. Lumber fits inside, small project animals for yourself or your children. We just get a ton of non-horse use from the stock trailer.

slant loads likely wont be wide enough unless you order an 8ft-8ft6in wide trailer. you could go for a 7ft6in tall stock trailer or a 7ft6in tall 2 horse straight load XL trailer to accommodate the larger horses.

i have 7ft6in in my trailer for my small quarter horses and would not want it lower.

best of luck:)

7’6" high straight load for a horse that size.

I’d go with straight load, removable divider if it has one.
My 17h+ WB did manage in the back slot of a slantload, but it was tighter than I liked to see him ride.
If I hauled him alone I’d tie back the divide to give him the whole trailer (except where fixed tack cut it off).

is 17.1 and a beefy warmblood. I live out west in true quarter horse country (16 h is considered big).

I’d go with the shorter horse, much easier to mount

[QUOTE=clanter;8609303]
I’d go with the shorter horse, much easier to mount[/QUOTE]

oh i wish. hes just the best guy so unfortunately I’m stuck with him.

Appreciate all the advice! Will likely go with the tall stock trailer. The idea of being able to haul hay/tractors/golf carts is appealing.

I just traded in my 7’ high trailer for one that it 7’6". My biggest horse is 15.3 and I thought he was going to brain himself on that 7’ trailer. I wouldn’t have another one that low.

I have big warmbloods and my slant load trailer is 8 feet wide 7’8" high. Its a lovely size for the bigger horses. Plenty of room. I would not go any narrower or less height personally. I have never heard of an 8’6" wide horse trailer. I don’t even know if that is legal…

You can remove the center dividers on many straight loads for hauling other things, too…don’t rule them out as they are often ideal for the bigger “ponies”. My trailer is like that. Pull a few pins, lift the stuff out and it’s wide open space.

[QUOTE=stb;8609440]
I just traded in my 7’ high trailer for one that it 7’6". My biggest horse is 15.3 and I thought he was going to brain himself on that 7’ trailer. I wouldn’t have another one that low.[/QUOTE]

Good grief, he must be a slow learner! Do you put a head bumper on him?

As I said before, we have large horses, they do fine in the 7ft height, though I have always hauled with head bumpers, started that way as a kid. Mine are 17H, the largest is probably 1600#, just big bodied, but not Draft horse sized. Not built like Fresians, with the high set necks to make them up-headed naturally. They quit raising heads when the big ears touch the roof. They get a lot of travel miles, 7ft high is fine with them, comfortable inside the trailer, come off moving smooth.

Our stock trailer is old, was supposed to be “Draft Size” when we got it back then, so we figured any of our big horses would not be THAT big and could manage fine inside that height and width. I didn’t want the wheel wells inside the walls for horses to trip over or have to stand oddly beside them. Horses have straight stalls, with removable dividers to allow full use of all the inside space of the 4-Horse trailer.

Going higher with a trailer can affect the mileage more, should that be a factor in your hauling considerations. Flat front on bumper pull also is a factor in mileage if truck has no cap to make smoother flow of air over the trailer. Gooseneck trailers do give a lot more to you in easy turning, backing, a better ride for the horse between the axles. Also points for the OP to consider. Steel over aluminum if you live where they salt the roads. Easier to repair steel if needed, cheaper to buy. Aluminum can be expensive, corrodes with salt, also gets brittle to fracture, as seen on semi trucks. All part of the choices OP has with trailer owning!

8’6" is the legal limit for trailers in most places, but it’s state-by-state, so you’d need to check carefully on any interstate journeys.

Thanks for all the help!

we ended up going to get a trailer yesterday. We ordered a 7’6’’ tall sundowner stock combo. We are actually having a ramp and doors installed in the back–big horse doesn’t do well with the step up/step down.

It will get delivered in 6-8 weeks. Very thankful for all the help/suggestions.

Congratulations on getting your new trailer! Hope it is everything you wanted out of a trailer.