Unlimited access >

Trailering senior pony long distances

I’m planning a move from Maine to Florida, so approx 1,500 miles. I’m planning on brining my herd with me including my 30+ year old pony. Physically in some ways she’s doing better than she was 5 years ago. She’s more sound and goes for a daily 1/2 mile walk at her own pace over hilly terrain. Once its warmer she’ll have the option for more self exercise. On the other hand she’s become a harder keeper and now needs alfalfa in addition to her normal hay ration.

She has never, ever taken change well and has needed quite a bit of time to settle into a new place. She’s also rather a nightmare to load onto a trailer. She’s also extremely particular about humans and if she doesn’t like you she’ll do everything to make your life hell. I am gentle & kind with her but I also have zero patience for her bs, which is why we get along well. She’s not at all shy about telling me when she’s not happy about something, and I’m equally not shy about telling her when she’s just being a moron. Knowing her the way I do, rehoming her with someone new here would probably be rougher on her than a long trailer ride. That being said, I’m still rather nervous about the whole thing.

I have a trailer that I could use to bring them all down, except I can’t do it faster than 3 days. Am also not sure if the stock trailer I have or one of those big tractor trailer things that professional transporters have would be a more comfortable vehicle for her.

Is it overthinking it to have her in some nice cushy hoof boots and leg wraps for the trip?

Suggestions for a good transporter?

Anything else I should know or be prepared to do before moving her?

I’m assuming that I should plan to make sure that I have some of her current hay on hand when we arrive, right?

I’d send them on an air-ride semi. You only have to load once, and they’ll drive it straight through. Our horses make it from NY to Wellington in 23-26 hours. If you think she’d be more comfortable, you can book her a box stall. I like WJ Barry, Judge Manning, and Lukens.

2 Likes

Brookledge or an air ride provider. Get a box stall and no stops. Hoof boots maybe, but no wraps. Let pony ship naked. Make sure hydrated really well before getting on the trailer.

They are pros at difficult horses and hard shippers.

2 Likes

Thanks. Got a very non-helpful response from Brookledge. Haven’t heard anything from anyone else yet. Seems most places in general are a lot more non-responsive these days.

Am I out of line at all when asking if I can provided soaked alfalfa cubes for my senior mare in transit? Just trying to figure out if maybe I’m saying something wrong here.

If worst case scenario I can’t find anyone to ship them, would they be ok with plenty of hay for the trip, regular water breaks, daily trailer cleanup and spending 2 nights in the trailer if we had to bring them down in one of the trailers we have? I’ve taken other livestock on long trips with 2-3 overnights in the trailer before but never with horses.

I believe the big rigs stop and water the horses. Besides Brookledge, there are Lorraine and Creech. You might look at this facebook page (I just saw it, I have no other knowledge) https://www.facebook.com/groups/1230419513673596/

Get a box stall so she can lie down if she wants.

1 Like

Thanks lorilu. Ever since FB made their graphics change I can’t use it anymore & they totally broke the browser extension I was using to make it accessible.

I plan on a box stall for her, but it seems like none of these transporters go where I need.

You will find someone. That isn’t an uncommon route. Besides these three, I’d try: Meadowbrook, Pony Express, Nobody’s Business Farm/Kevin Hennessy, Equine Express, Elite, and Johnson.

Last time Lukens couldn’t help me, they called around for me and found my horse a spot with another carrier.

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas @joiedevie99. I’ll look into them.

Is it better to call or fill out a transporter’s online quote form? I’ve probably filled out online quote forms for 10-15 different carries. Most haven’t replied, and the ones that have said they can’t.

I would just call. I usually rely on text message with the carriers I have existing relationships with - but even when I do call I usually get a response next business day at the latest.

I wouldn’t haul anything in a stock trailer that far, but that’s just me. I’d go for a private shipper or a commercial shipper.

1 Like

Unfortunately I’m out in the sticks and there’s a 50% chance that my phone works. Email is more reliable out here.