Unlimited access >

Trailet horse trailer review

I am looking at a used Trailet Seville GTS Horse Trailer. Just wondering if there are any opinions about the Trailet brand. I have a 16-2 Oldenburg and a Friesian sport horse yearling who will eventually be a pretty big boy in his own time. The dimensions of the trailer are appropriate. I’m concerned about durability, safety, etc. Thank you for your input!

IME they are pretty nice trailers. My mom has a 2H GN with a dressing room that is probably 25 years old, and she loves it. There have been some minor issues with door handles and stuff and I think she had the axles replaced, overall it has been great.

I have a Trail-Et and love it. They are out of business, unfortunately, so you can’t find new ones, but I would still buy another used one in a heartbeat if I were looking. I have seen some pretty old (like 80s vintage) that are still going strong, so durability would not concern me at all. Of course, you’ll have to evaluate the trailer you are looking at on its own, regardless of brand, as any brand might have issues if not taken care of, etc. I love how open and welcoming mine is and the roominess and design is very horse friendly. Ramp is a dream to lift, and all the latches and removable dividers, etc, easy for me to use. Love it!

I had one years ago- it was my first trailer. Check the frame- it is steel and depending on where you live it may rust faster than other areas. Other than that the only problems I ever really heard of with them was the ramp needing to be replaced because they were plywood on the inside, but that is an easy fix that most people can do themselves.

I never had any issues with mine and thought it was a well built trailer.

I had a Trailet 4 horse and loved it. I only sold it because I was able to downsize. The fiberglass roof is great.

Do check out the steel frame for rust. I live in an area where the roads are heavily salted in the winter and found some serious rust under the floor boards.

I love mine. It’s not perfect, there are a couple of little things I would change but it is very nice.

Have one, love it. (2 horse straight load w/DR)
As said above, my only complaint is the ramp design–it is plywood sandwiched between metal and mats, and rainwater gets in and it rots.
Needs to be replaced more often that a properly designed setup would.
But it isn’t difficult (way easier than on my old Kingston!).

Thank you all for the advice. I will be sure to check the frame and ramp for rust. We are in Minnesota so the roads are pretty heavily salted during the winter months. The pictures seem nice so I’m anxious to see it first hand!

I liked my first Trail-et so much that when it came time to upgrade (first one had no dressing room) I purchased another in 2005. I’m so glad that I got one before they went out of business. I have found these trailers to be very “horse friendly” and have been able to load even difficult loaders into my trailer without much fuss. If you can find a good used one, go for it (my original one that I sold to a friend is still going strong and must be 20+ years old).

My first trailer was an '84 bumper pull Trailet. I liked it so much I got a new gooseneck Trailet when I upgraded in 2000. My gooseneck is still in great shape and I love it; the old bumper pull I sold to a friend and it’s still on the road. :slight_smile:

Another one who loves her Trail-et. It’s a 2000 straightload GN w/ DR that I purchased used. It’s frame is still in near perfect condition (I crawled under it and checked), the ramp is easy to lift, and its roomie, bright, cool in the summer, and easy to haul. That said, I think that the Seville might have been the manger model? I’m not a huge fan of mangers, and that goes double for larger horses. I really like for horses to be able to get their feet in front of them for balance, and to be able to drop their heads to clear their lungs.

Just sold my '89 BP to a young rider and bought an '07 GN. The old one was still amazingly solid and dependable. The latches and hinges needed to be taken apart and lubricated, but the original floor and frame were still sturdy and it looked good, too. I was thrilled to find a newer one in a GN from right before they closed the company! I love them because they are very horse-friendly and well-engineered.

I have owned mine for about nine years and really like it and have not had any problems. My friend at the barn has exactly the same trailer that is a couple of years older. The plywood on her ramp rotted out, but she and I were able to replace it pretty easily. I think they are well built trailers and am disappointed they have gone out of business.

They can be really rusting away under the paint and aluminum skin. Also, the ramp is probably plywood under the mats and aluminum skin. that plywood can be rotting away where you can’t see it. One way to check the frame UNDER the trailer is to crawl underneath and tap the frame with a hammer. It can be rusting under the paint and a badly rusted area won’t ring the same as solid steel does.

Also, the fiberglass roofs can crack, typically where the roof has the bends. One of mine cracked at both back corners.

That being said I had two different Trailets and they rode very smoothly for the horses. They have very substantial frames compared to many steel framed trailers, makes them heavy but that is part of what makes them ride smoothly. I finally moved on to an all aluminum trailer.

chicamuxen

I have a 2000 Trailet New Yorker 2 horse straight load with DR. I love it. I had to replace the wood on the ramp and currently am replacing an axle. I must have hit a pot hole and bent it. DH also just replaced the weather stripping on the back top doors.

Horses tend to haul and load well in it. In my area they hold their value really well. I could probably sell my trailer for about $1,500/$2,000 less than I paid for it 13 years ago.

Mine is only 7’ tall inside. I have had some big horses in it with no problem. The only one that I had any possible concern with was another boarder’s 17.3H Friesan sporthorse. He had a really high head carriage on top of being a big horse. He got a little close the the top edge of the back door while loading. Once he was on he was fine.

I personally do not care for mangers so the Seville would not be one I would be interested in.

If I am not mistaken, Trailet was by some of the same people who did Hawk and maybe one other brand. Those that I have seen have been very nice trailers. I was VERY tempted by a 2h BP with DR that DeBella had, but it was more than I wanted to pull with my particular tow vehicle.

I forgot to mention - my horse is an 18.1hh WB and fits in mine fine. I have also hauled a Shire stallion in it with no problem. :slight_smile:

I have a 10 year old Trail-et and it has held up brilliantly. It’s a heavy trailer compared to the 4-Star (aluminum) I pulled previously. Other than the poorly designed hold-back on the dressing room door, I have no complaints. They’re nice big trailers with a horse-friendly design.

We are going to go look Saturday. I will come armed with a flashlight, hammer, and lots if great advice. Thank you all!

UPDATE!! Trailet horse trailer review

I know this post happened quite a while ago but I just want to say thank you to everyone for the great advice about the Trail-et brand. I ended up finding 2007 New Yorker in great shape and absolutely love it! Both the 2yo and the 18yo and walk right up and unload quietly. It is sturdy, pulls very smoothly and has a nice airy interior for my boys. This trailer is a very good fit for us. Thanks much!

1 Like