Unlimited access >

Train Tour of England, Ireland and Scotland

They look cool Has anyone done one and have any recommendations? Thx.

Are you talking about buying a BritRail Pass, and plannong your own itinerary?
Or an orgainized “Train Tour”?

An organized tour. Thought it might be more time efficient.

That sounds very interesting! We used a lot of public transportation in England, including trains, but nothing organized. And we’ve taken the Eurostar train a few times, which was very cool.

Rebecca

1 Like

Railways go through countryside that can’t be reached by road and sitting looking at the views is always easier on a train than in a car. Also, in trains one can walk around and eat at will. The stations are always central in a city unlike airports. Trains are a civilized way to travel. As a Brit, I would suggest that an organized tour would be a better option for a tourist because the ticket prices in the UK are extremely high (thank you, privatization) unless one knows all the wrinkles and wheezes to obtain lower ones. An organized tour would be a known quantity. I think it would be fun to do such a trip so I’ll now have to look one up!

2 Likes

I am going to Scotland via rail in September I plan to work my way up to the Orkneys then back down to Oban and out to the islands.

I will make use of the Scot Rail 2 week travel pass for a bulk of the journey since it also covers bus and ferry. Plus a couple days in London on either end because, well, its London. I have solo traveled a lot including much of the UK. Scotland is my final tick off

2 Likes

Hah. Sometimes Scotrail works. Sometimes, you have a sinkhole.

I can’t say enough good things about Oban. I’ve been there a few times over the years and really enjoyed it on every visit.

It’s very easy to catch a ferry from there to some of the nearby islands that are well worth a day trip. I’m still hoping to get back to Mull and Iona again one day.

1 Like

Yes I plan to day trip to the islands.

1 Like