Unlimited access >

Trainer commission when horse sells

Will be interesting to see how this plays out:

Trainer Fee When Horse Sold Argued in KY Supreme Court

3 Likes

It’s an interesting question. In this case, I think it might depend on what the trainer and the owner had in writing.

2 Likes

If they had anything at all in writing. If a case for an implied contract could be made. Or – not.

A brief read of the article says that it turns on the interpretation of a unique KY statute which requires fees to a trainer upon sale to be covered by a written agreement. In this case, there was no written agreement but the trainer says it was training fees owed and not a sales commission.

1 Like

I think without a written contract, the trainer will lose. It will be easy to prove that he was paid a “commission” for each of the horse’s placings in races. He earned that commission as trainer of the horse. When the horse is sold, the sales company …was it Fasig Tipton?..earns 5% as the seller of the horse. I dont think having developed the horse is a good argument, otherwise the people who broke the horse, the vets, the exercise riders, could all have their hands out in development of the horse.