Unlimited access >

Trainer Discounts on custom CWD saddles?

Hi!
So, I’m going with a CWD and the company was unable to find what I needed in a used saddle so I have to go with a new saddle.

Does anybody know about the trainer discounts CWD does and how it works?

I am not a trainer myself but I trained with a woman who was sponsored and my rep knows who they are. Do you think I’d be able to use the trainer discount?

Hope to hear replies!

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7454331]
Hi!
So, I’m going with a CWD and the company was unable to find what I needed in a used saddle so I have to go with a new saddle.

Does anybody know about the trainer discounts CWD does and how it works?

I am not a trainer myself but I trained with a woman who was sponsored and my rep knows who they are. Do you think I’d be able to use the trainer discount?

Hope to hear replies![/QUOTE]

IME, “trainer discounts” go to the trainer.

Normally, the trainer uses and encourages their clients to use a certain brand, and in return they get a certain dollar amount or % off the tack they purchase (or are given) for themselves. The formulas I have seen are based on the number of saddles the trainer gets their clients to purchase (i.e., for every saddle of that brand sold into the barn, the trainer gets X.) The discount is not typically extended to the clients.

Just a thought and you might already have done this… but have you checked the other used saddle sites for what you need? I have worked with Cori McGraw at High End Used Saddles and she is terrific; it’s worth asking if she might have what you need. http://www.highendusedsaddles.com

[QUOTE=Lucassb;7454541]
IME, “trainer discounts” go to the trainer.

Normally, the trainer uses and encourages their clients to use a certain brand, and in return they get a certain dollar amount or % off the tack they purchase (or are given) for themselves. The formulas I have seen are based on the number of saddles the trainer gets their clients to purchase (i.e., for every saddle of that brand sold into the barn, the trainer gets X.) The discount is not typically extended to the clients.[/QUOTE]

If that’s how it works, that’s how it works, but what incentive would I have to purchase the same saddle that the trainer has if I don’t get the discount too? If I have a zillion choices and all other things being equal, I’ll choose the one that costs less. Don’t the saddle companies consider this? Or do they all think we will blindly follow the trainer?

[QUOTE=SnicklefritzG;7454607]
Or do they all think we will blindly follow the trainer?[/QUOTE]

You got it. :wink:

[QUOTE=GoForAGallop;7454617]
You got it. ;)[/QUOTE]

That is sad. The kind of people who have big $$$ to spend generally didn’t get there from being stupid about the rest of their business affairs, so I don’t understand how that mentality becomes so rampant.

Some of the stuff that goes on in the equestrian world would never fly or be accepted on Wall Street.

Yes, I have but I have a pretty big credit from CWD from a saddle that didn’t work so I have to purchase a saddle from them.

[QUOTE=Lucassb;7454549]
Just a thought and you might already have done this… but have you checked the other used saddle sites for what you need? I have worked with Cori McGraw at High End Used Saddles and she is terrific; it’s worth asking if she might have what you need. http://www.highendusedsaddles.com[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=SnicklefritzG;7454607]
If that’s how it works, that’s how it works, but what incentive would I have to purchase the same saddle that the trainer has if I don’t get the discount too? If I have a zillion choices and all other things being equal, I’ll choose the one that costs less. Don’t the saddle companies consider this? Or do they all think we will blindly follow the trainer?[/QUOTE]

The incentive, such as it is, is to purchase a saddle that your trainer approves of. Many, many riders (not all) seek their trainer’s opinion before making a major purchase, and I suppose - all other things being equal - the pros figure that they might as well recommend a saddle that they get a reward for.

Of course when it comes to saddle fit and preference, all other things are seldom equal. What I like a lot might not suit you (or your horse) at all. But many times, there are probably several different saddle brands that might be suitable, particularly with the higher end brands that can be customized, and a range of models to suit different horses and to a lesser extent, budgets.

I don’t fault the trainers for recommending a product that they are happy with and find nothing inherently evil in the reality that they are compensated for their recommendations, unless they deliberately push something they know will NOT work - which is rarely the case. After all they are probably riding and training that horse and dealing with a saddle fit problem is not going to further those efforts.

I’ve actually found that when there is a particular brand of saddle that is extensively used in a barn, the service from that manufacturer toward those clients tends to be good as well. There is some value in that although IMO, it is sort of a fringe benefit and would not cause me to choose a saddle I otherwise wouldn’t purchase.

[QUOTE=SnicklefritzG;7454640]
That is sad. The kind of people who have big $$$ to spend generally didn’t get there from being stupid about the rest of their business affairs, so I don’t understand how that mentality becomes so rampant.

Some of the stuff that goes on in the equestrian world would never fly or be accepted on Wall Street.[/QUOTE] Actually, if you have a lot of money from a using all your brain power and time on your work, it makes perfect sense to outsource the things you don’t need/want to do yourself to experts.

Trainer discounts are for trainers, not their clients/friends/occasional lesson-taker. It is incentive for them to get their clients riding in the saddles. The really big-name trainers are sponsored and get their saddles/gear for free. It is great marketing for the saddle companies to have Beezie/McLain/Reed/etc riding in their saddles. There’s also nothing unscrupulous about having trainers encourage students to ride in a particular type of saddle if they like it. This kind of transaction happens all the time in business (particularly in technology), actually. It’s called a referral program.

Are you actively training and riding with this trainer that’s sponsored by CWD? I know nothing about whether or not there is a discount for being the client of one of their sponsored trainers, but even if there was one, I don’t think you’ll get it just because you rode with a sponsored trainer at one point in time.

[QUOTE=wanderlust;7454863]

Trainer discounts are for trainers, not their clients/friends/occasional lesson-taker. It is incentive for them to get their clients riding in the saddles. The really big-name trainers are sponsored and get their saddles/gear for free. It is great marketing for the saddle companies to have Beezie/McLain/Reed/etc riding in their saddles. There’s also nothing unscrupulous about having trainers encourage students to ride in a particular type of saddle if they like it. This kind of transaction happens all the time in business (particularly in technology), actually. It’s called a referral program.[/QUOTE]

I agree that it makes sense that the discount shouldn’t be just for the occasional lesson taker or someone who wants to train with a trainer for the sake of getting a discount on said saddle (not sure if people would even do this…), but it seems like there should be a way to offer some small discount for longterm clients. I mean trainers do have clients who have been with them since the very beginning or have trained with them for a few years.

From my experience with CWD and trainer discounts, I did not get a discount on the saddle but they generally throw in an extra for free. In my case it was a free pair of stirrrup leathers. This was a few years ago, so things might have changed since then.

[QUOTE=wanderlust;7454863]
Actually, if you have a lot of money from a using all your brain power and time on your work, it makes perfect sense to outsource the things you don’t need/want to do yourself to experts.

Trainer discounts are for trainers, not their clients/friends/occasional lesson-taker. It is incentive for them to get their clients riding in the saddles. The really big-name trainers are sponsored and get their saddles/gear for free. It is great marketing for the saddle companies to have Beezie/McLain/Reed/etc riding in their saddles. There’s also nothing unscrupulous about having trainers encourage students to ride in a particular type of saddle if they like it. This kind of transaction happens all the time in business (particularly in technology), actually. It’s called a referral program.[/QUOTE]

I think you misread my post. There is no need to get snarky in your response.

There IS a lot of stuff that goes on in the equestrian world that wouldn’t fly on wall street. Just go read about multiple articles, some on COTH about having contracts and disclosures related to selling horses. There are certainly people who do underhanded things in business, but there aren’t a lot of folks who are going to do business on Wall St. without a serious contract sans holes like you see in the equine world. Just go back and read the articles and you will see what I mean.

Saddle companies hope that if they get a trainer in their product, the trainer will like it…alot. Hopefully see something about it (fit,comfort, whatever) that is better than the other options out there. Maybe let students try it out when they are saddle shopping, etc. I certainly have a saddle I prefer…not because it’s the most or least expensive, but because i think it’s the best. It fits the horses well, is comfortable, and the company stands firmly behind their product. Their customer service is excellent, as is heir support of the industry. If one of my students wants to buy a cheaper saddle, that’s their choice. But I recommend the best one that I know of. And yes, I got a trainer discount. But that’s long gone…I own the saddle. My recommendation comes from my belief in it.

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7454661]
Yes, I have but I have a pretty big credit from CWD from a saddle that didn’t work so I have to purchase a saddle from them.[/QUOTE]

Did you buy a used saddle from them that did not work out?
slightly confused as to why you would not get a full refund after returning a saddle at the end of a trial … a saddle on trial from CWD etc is not the same as a consignment saddle through a used saddle shop such as FUS etc, re length/flexibility of the trial period.

[QUOTE=alto;7456287]
Did you buy a used saddle from them that did not work out?
slightly confused as to why you would not get a full refund after returning a saddle at the end of a trial … a saddle on trial from CWD etc is not the same as a consignment saddle through a used saddle shop such as FUS etc, re length/flexibility of the trial period.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if this is specifically the case with OP but CWD has a 25% restocking fee even if they could not get the saddle they custom fitted for your horse to work. That is a big chunk of change to throw away. It was one of the big reasons I did not go with CWD with my hard to fit horse.
I think their used saddles have a restocking fee of $50 if they come back from trial.

[QUOTE=SonnysMom;7456405]

I think their used saddles have a restocking fee of $50 if they come back from trial.[/QUOTE]
yes, I’m under the impression that OP had a used saddle from CWD.

Completely agree with you on the v.e.r.y fine print on that 25% restocking fee when their “guaranteed to fit horse & rider” custom saddle fails …

A 25% restocking fee? That’s ridiculous! If you order a custom saddle, it’s for a reason. If they can’t make it work then it’s their fault and they should fix it. The most I’ve heard is a company charging $250 to restock.

I guess I won’t be looking at CWD either! lol.

Wow! Thats incredible. I agree, if you order a custom saddle and for some reason it doesn’t work, I know I definitely wouldn’t want to pay for a restocking fee. I would expect the saddle to fit perfectly the first time out since it is supposed to be a custom fit.