Unlimited access >

Trainer near Newark, NJ?

There’s a good chance we are moving up to Newark, NJ in the fall. Unfortunately, that means I need to find a new trainer and since there is a very slight, slight chance I will be bringing a horse up with me - a trainer with school horses. We are probably living a little west of Newark, maybe the Maplewood area so probably a trainer in New Jersey as opposed to Long Island.

The ideal for me is someone with a smaller school horse that goes at least 2nd/3rd (I’m a shortie showing 1st, trying to put together 2nd.) I like theory and biomechanics in the lesson and I am not stuck in a particular school but I have ridden quite a bit with a German so have that floating around. I’m currently doing a 2.5-3 hour round trip to ride (4-4.5 to my other trainer) and it’s draining, so I want to cut that time down.

So - any suggestions for a trainer within an hour or so of Newark/Maplewood with a school horse for a low level rider? Thanks!

Hi, fellow NJ person here. There are no trainers near Newark. Get out the map as the best dressage trainers are mostly west of Newark, like an hour west. Hunterdon County for one. I live south near the Jersey shore and board in Jackson, NJ there are a few good trainers on Monmouth and Ocean Counties, where I am, also. So where you ride will depend on where to live I think. Plus finding trainers with school horses is not easy, either, but they are out there.

Sorry I am not much more help. Let me know where are wind up living and maybe I can direct you.

Adriane

1 Like

Having grown up in Maplewood, I can tell you that you should be able to find someone within pretty close proximity. Heather Mason of Flying Change Farm is in Lebanon which is about a half hour away. Barisone is in Long Valley which is about 45 mins away. You definitely have some great choices in that area!

2 Likes

That’s great to hear about Maplewood! While Ironbound would be convenient for me, SO would be uncomfortable so we’re looking farther out from the city.

Those are the two names that keep coming up in my search, thanks for the suggestions.

1 Like