Unlimited access >

Trainer Recommendations in Phoenix Arizona?

Hi all, I am a trad C3/HB pony club member from Oahu, Hawaii, and I will be moving to Phoenix, Arizona in two months to begin college. I was wondering if anybody knew of any reputable trainers in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area? I will not be bringing my horse (shipping costs are ridiculous) and would be willing to ride anything that needs exercising or even a bit of training. I am hoping to find someone who would be willing to take on a working student. I have experience in the hunters, jumpers, eventing rally’s, and even some extreme cowboy racing. I am pretty open to any suggestion, as I would just like to find someone to mentor under!

I have a friend who rides at Sweetwater Stables in Cave Creek, AZ and really likes it there.

Welcome! Can you be a little more specific about where you will be living/attending college? Are you going to ASU (and if so, which campus)? Phoenix is a giant big city (physically) and does have very heavy traffic. For example, the drive from the ASU campus in Mesa (Polytech) to the Cave Creek area would be over an hour at the best times. But, the trip from that same ASU campus to the barns in the SE part of the Valley would be maybe 20 minutes.

[QUOTE=hillary again;8718314]
Welcome! Can you be a little more specific about where you will be living/attending college? Are you going to ASU (and if so, which campus)? Phoenix is a giant big city (physically) and does have very heavy traffic. For example, the drive from the ASU campus in Mesa (Polytech) to the Cave Creek area would be over an hour at the best times. But, the trip from that same ASU campus to the barns in the SE part of the Valley would be maybe 20 minutes.[/QUOTE]

I will be attending and living at Grand Canyon University in west Phoenix (I’m pretty sure it’s seven miles or so from downtown Phoenix. Don’t quote me on that though, haha.) Do you know of anything in the area?

Check out the AZ Hunter Jumper Assoc.trainer listings in central AZ that will give you a start. I’m a dressage person so don’t really know who is reputable or not.

http://www.ahja.org/trainers.htm

Checking that roster, the only trainer on the west side is Pat:
Pat Richert
5101 West Monte Cristo Ave
Glendale, AZ 85306
602-439-5694
patrichert@gmail.com

The rest of the h/j trainers will be quite a long drive for you. Do you have your own car, or access to one?

The west side of Phoenix is more rural, with farms of all kinds. There are likely some dressage and western trainers on that side. For dressage, try posting on the dressage forum. Best wishes!

It may be a bit far for you, but Michelle Henderson at Silver Mesquite Equestrian is really great to work with. She is located in Chandler, AZ which is SE of Phoenix. She has a website and a fb page if you want to look her up.

Thank you all so much for the helpful responses! I have a lot to learn in terms of geography and figuring out where everything is in the area! Again, I appreciate the help!

I rode with Pat when I was in high school about a thousand years ago! Around 1996, actually. She’s amazing - absolutely only good things to say about her! She’s kind to the horses and really knows her stuff :slight_smile:

Hi OP - I second the recommendation from missbliss for Pat Richert. I have seen her in action at shows. I’m not her student, so I can’t add any more details. Welcome to Phoenix! Get ready to be astounded at the heat when you get here :). It will be more reasonable by the end of October.

Bryn Gordon was wonderful with my mare. She’s in Cave Creek, which is a bit north but IMO, worth the drive.

https://www.facebook.com/Saddle-Mountain-Ranch-271184156353954/?pnref=lhc

Twin Acres School of Riding is located between Paradise Valley and Scottsdale. It wouldn’t be too far of a drive. Sweetwater Stables is also a good one but it’s much farther north and may be too far of a drive.

I would avoid Twin Acres along with Twisted Tree Farm. :slight_smile:

Don’t know anything about the other ones, though, but sounds like you have some good suggestions.

Renee Coates is great, not sure if she’s in Phoenix though. I disagree with the above and have had nothing but great experiences with TTF!

Hi OP: you might also take a look at the dressage trainers and their locations.
http://azdressage.org/trainers-directory/

Some of these trainers are at barns with multiple trainers operating from one facility. Those places might have some opportunities with different trainers that could work with your broad experience.

Again, the traffic is a consideration for you… Even on a Saturday or Sunday, GCU to south Chandler or Gilbert is going to be a long way. Cave Creek and North Scottsdale would be the same.

Here’s another option: http://haldimanfarm.com/
I kept my horse there for years. Several trainers work from this location, on and off. Might be some opportunities to ride for boarders who want to keep a horse in work. Nice people. This is a casual boarding barn with a variety of types of horses being boarded - some simple trail riding, some more intense riders.