Unlimited access >

Trainers in Bay Area, CA with BOMBPROOF Upper Level Schoolmasters?

[QUOTE=atlatl;7526496]
I have to say that I had a better experience trying horses there than mentinoed above. I didn’t buy because the prices got raised on the spot after me confirming prices before taking off work and flying there to try the horses.[/QUOTE]

True story: Friend took lessons up there. Got dumped a few times, but accepted that she wasn’t the greatest rider in the world and the lessons were really helping, especially on horses trained far beyond her own elderly no-so-sound Arab. She improved noticeably and praise was forthcoming. Cynic that I am, I commented that I was willing to bet that within the next few weeks, she would be told she had improved so much that it was time to get a new horse, and that THEY had JUST the horse for her - and only $37K!!! Sure enough, that was EXACTLY what was said and EXACTLY the price. Even though she’d made it clear from the very beginning that, even if she bought a horse in addition to her soon-to-retire Arab, her budget was low. Pressure was immediately put on, to the point where she stopped her lessons. And bought an older, former H/J OTTB for about 1/5th the price. Undoubtedly the Noelting horses were probably worth their asking price (probably), but the pressure tactics - not nice.

I think this topic is getting off track.

Christianna is a very good trainer who may or may not be an individual student’s cup of tea. The horses sold there are generally expensive and generally high quality.

[QUOTE=exploding pony;7529732]
I think this topic is getting off track.

Christianna is a very good trainer who may or may not be an individual student’s cup of tea. The horses sold there are generally expensive and generally high quality.[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with the quality of the training, nothing wrong with the quality or even the prices of the horses. What is/was wrong is the high pressure sale tactics.

[QUOTE=Sandy M;7530522]
Nothing wrong with the quality of the training, nothing wrong with the quality or even the prices of the horses. What is/was wrong is the high pressure sale tactics.[/QUOTE]

Well, I can’t say bait and switch is an OK sales technique.

So, I’m going to reopen this thread because I’m once again in need of help, though this time it’s bittersweet. It basically sounds like my horse is too hot, and on top of that I don’t have the money to both own a horse and compete so we’re looking for a place to take lessons or lease. Looking in NorCal for a mid-upper level schoolie that’s as dead quiet as they come, that I can take to shows when I’m ready. Have any suggestions! Shoot! Feel free to PM me as well :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DoomPony;7734649]
So, I’m going to reopen this thread because I’m once again in need of help, though this time it’s bittersweet. It basically sounds like my horse is too hot, and on top of that I don’t have the money to both own a horse and compete so we’re looking for a place to take lessons or lease. Looking in NorCal for a mid-upper level schoolie that’s as dead quiet as they come, that I can take to shows when I’m ready. Have any suggestions! Shoot! Feel free to PM me as well :)[/QUOTE]

Contact Gina Duran of Topline Training. She has a horse, Kodiak, who might possibly be a match. No guarantees but he’s normally quite dead quiet.

Does anyone know anything about Samantha Billings or Kelley Casey?

I ride with Kelly Casey, and have done so for the past 4 years. I have known Samantha Billings since before she could drive a car. You can PM me if you have specific questions. Kelly does not have any school horses. Sam has 2 that she uses. Neither has para experience.

Sorry I have disappeared for a while, and I just saw your PM from moths ago. Sorry about what you are going through. What area did you say you live in again? I know all about the cost here in the Bay Area, what a nightmare. I don’t ride anymore because I am in the city everyday from 7-7 and it makes no sense to own a horse in full training I ride once a week :frowning:

I am taking a lesson today with a USDF Gold Medalist that has school horses, I can ask her.

Does anyone know anything about Linda Layton or Nellie Martin-Giles? Any opinions or facts would be great!

Sorry to reopen such an old thread, but what do people know about Gina Duran? Does she know anything about Para? Is she still training with Crystal Forsell (Last I heard two months ago, Crystal was moving her business. Unsure of details)? Does she still have the horses Kodiak and Mozart (spoke with someone about them a while ago)? Does anyone know anything about either horse (temperament, training, etc)?

Why don’t you just call all these people you’re inquiring about and speak to them personally to see if you think they’ll fit for what you need? I may think someone is awesome and they just don’t click with another rider, or vice versa.