Unlimited access >

Trainers in Bay Area, CA with BOMBPROOF Upper Level Schoolmasters?

Hello all! So, background time! I own a twelve year old Andalusian Paint gelding. He’s a pretty well rounded guy, capable of very pretty leg yields and half passes. I only ride at the walk because I have cerebral palsy, and am a Grade 1a para equestrian.

Susan Treabess, a wonderful woman who I’ve taken a few lessons with on her I1 schoolmaster. She wants me to really get the feel of an FEI frame and improve my more advanced skills, and thinks because I can’t afford to own an upper level schoolie, I should at least take lessons on one whenever I can. I would ride with her on her gelding, but she’s busy with WEG selection trials and all of her schoolies are in use.

Do any of you fine COTHers know a dressage trainer in California (Bay Area) that would be open to teaching a fifteen year old once or twice a month in a walk only lesson on a absolutely bombproof (I cannot say that enough), upper level schoolmaster?? :confused: :slight_smile:

Does anyone have experience with Christiane Noelting Dressage Center, Nadine Pestana, and/or Katy Barglow at Barglow Dressage? Would either place fit my needs?

Christiane Noelting is in Vacaville which is a pretty long drive from the bay area. I’ve only been there once, but my impression is that it is more of a sale barn.

We’re okay with a bit of a drive. Mum and I have gone to Winters the two times I’ve ridden with Susan, and my regular trainer (and lovely pony boy!) are in Martinez. Did you get to meet Christiane? What was she like?

Christiane does not have any upper level schoolmasters on hand as far as I know. It is definitely a sale barn, lots of fresh imports, young horses moving up the levels, etc. Horses don’t stay super long.

I don’t have any suggestions but wish you luck!! I hope you find the right fit!

Those are all valid upper level trainers - but I don’t think they have schoolmasters available. Especially BOMB PROOF. Why do you need an upper level horse for a walk-only lesson? Many mid-level horses can do lateral work, extended and collected work, pirouettes, especially in the walk.

I can’t speak for the rest of the country, but very few Nor-Cal trainers have upper level schoolmasters available for lessons. Most have their own and client horses, but few people are going to let someone else on their FEI horse.

Your best bet is to start calling the trainers directly. Get the word out. And see if Susan knows anyone.

I think what you’re looking for is a pretty tall order, particularly the bombproof aspect… That said - I would highly recommend connecting with some other para riders. The sport has developed to a point where there is a pretty darn good network of great riders and horses. I think you would have the best success through those channels because people affiliated and knowledgeable about what a para rider needs will likely have connections to horses that will fit the bill. I’ve got a couple of friends involved in para - they’re not in CA but they’re both very well connected. Feel free to PM me with any additional details if you’d like me to put feelers out to the two of them.

You are so in luck. Contact NCEFT in Woodside, Ca. http://nceft.org/

National Center for Equine Facilitated Therapy
880 Runnymede Road
Woodside CA 94062
Phone: (650) 851-2271
Fax: (650) 851-3480
Email: info@nceft.org

They provide riding experiences for handicapped people and they have fantastic dressage horses.

Good luck and best wishes for your progress. I know of one girl who has a neurological disorder that I think is cerebral palsy who hunts and jumps.

[QUOTE=DaniW;7522534]
You are so in luck. Contact NCEFT in Woodside, Ca. http://nceft.org/

National Center for Equine Facilitated Therapy
880 Runnymede Road
Woodside CA 94062
Phone: (650) 851-2271
Fax: (650) 851-3480
Email: info@nceft.org

They provide riding experiences for handicapped people and they have fantastic dressage horses.

Good luck and best wishes for your progress. I know of one girl who has a neurological disorder that I think is cerebral palsy who hunts and jumps.[/QUOTE]

How funny you mention NCEFT! I used to ride there for therapy probably ten years ago! Brings back memories. :slight_smile:

PM sent, Redmond Dressage!

NCEFT has ties to top dressage trainers and horses and I’m sure they can help her. Ravel’s owner Akiko Yamazaki did a demo on Ravel last year at NCEFT. It’s a well-connected place.

I do agree that NCEFT is well connected, and worth a call - as they might be able to put the OP in contact with someone that DOES have an appropriate mount.

Ask your trainer - she’s a pretty accomplished Para herself!

Well, there is upper level and there is upper level. If you are looking for a second or third level horse, you may be able to find something suitable.

As others have said there are very few bombproof FEI horses. They tend to be very sensitive.

NCEFT actually might know of someone who is connected to the program that has a horse you might be able to take lessons on, so I would try them. Many of the folks involved in the program have pretty extensive networks in the horse community and it’s located in a very affluent, horse friendly area.

Then I think what you want to do is get to know the trainers and judges in the area who know everyone. Not sure where you ride or who you train with now.

I wouldn’t approach it so much as looking for a trainer with a school horse.

Nadine is very involved with young riders, so worth a conversation. You might also try Jennifer Roth who is a judge and teaches quite a few young riders. Perhaps Anne Howard might have some ideas for you - she’s a PT as well as a trainer, so that might be a very good approach. Tracey Lert is at the same facility and her father Peter was very active in the para program when he was alive.

I think trying to find an FEI level horse who is bombproof will be a challenge, but since you are looking to work at the walk and trot, even a second or third level horse can definitely show off and teach you skills for lateral work.

Also, OP, I am pretty sure that I have met you before. Poplar Place?

I just sent you a PM!

Yes! Who’s this?? PM me BrionesRider

Knock Christiane Noelting off your list. I tried several of her sales horses and ended up buying a weanling from one of her auctions. While I was riding the sales horses ( One was a 3y/o wb stallion, the other was a 4 y/o gelding who had been imported from europe in the past two weeks) she could not seem to leave me alone enough to actually get a feel for the horses. It was all “More! More! Ask for more!!!” when I was just trying to figure the horse out. She wanted every gait to be huge and showy and extended when I would have rather had the time to figure the horse I was riding out. This was just me trying out sales horses, I can’t imagine what she would be like to train with.

[QUOTE=SugarAndSpite;7525057]
Knock Christiane Noelting off your list. I tried several of her sales horses and ended up buying a weanling from one of her auctions…I can’t imagine what she would be like to train with.[/QUOTE]

Fantastic to train with. She’s a great instructor & trainer. But she won’t have the kind of school horse the OP is looking for, and is not in the Bay Area. What about Seven Oaks with Carrie Coe/Pamela Miller? They have lots of school horses, including at FEI. They’re in Portola Valley & Gilroy or somewhere around there.

[QUOTE=SugarAndSpite;7525057]
Knock Christiane Noelting off your list. I tried several of her sales horses and ended up buying a weanling from one of her auctions. While I was riding the sales horses ( One was a 3y/o wb stallion, the other was a 4 y/o gelding who had been imported from europe in the past two weeks) she could not seem to leave me alone enough to actually get a feel for the horses. It was all “More! More! Ask for more!!!” when I was just trying to figure the horse out. She wanted every gait to be huge and showy and extended when I would have rather had the time to figure the horse I was riding out. This was just me trying out sales horses, I can’t imagine what she would be like to train with.[/QUOTE]

I have to say that I had a better experience trying horses there than mentioned above. I didn’t buy because the prices got raised on the spot after me confirming prices before taking off work and flying there to try the horses.