Unlimited access >

Trainers with good working student programs?

That is NOT me. Looks totally copied and pasted from a previous post of mine! Well that would explain why everyone on this forum hates me.

Just in case OP goes “poof”

2 Likes

Excuse me?

Please don’t be rude.

I’m not difficult…

OP, I’m sending you a PM.

Thanks!

:lol::lol::lol:

4 Likes

Rude

In all honesty, and this is meant to try to help you specifically, being a horse professional is not for you. If you cannot manage to be mature, polite, and professional here where people tried to help you, repeatedly, on multiple threads, you’ll be eaten alive by anyone who would try to teach you.

more specifically, you rejected people’s help, implied they were fools for offering such useless help, demanded more names, as if the ones provides were beneath you, and all the while being aware you were wasting everyone’s time because no one is going to hold a GOOD position for you, an E level rider, maybe kind of, for 3-5 months.

As you said, your parents have money to support you,

Let them pay for lessons.

4 Likes

If you read the entire thread, you’d notice that my initial question was meant with a suspecting, condescending attitude by all. It was frustrating that over half of the comments were suggestions for me to give up entirely, because nobody was taking me seriously.

It doesn’t matter what other people do. You cannot control how other people behave, only how you react.

in this industry, you cannot get a reputation for being contentious and argumentative unless you never need to earn a living. And even then, if everyone thinks you are obnoxious, it is very very difficult to maintain relationships even with your service providers (grooms/vets/farriers).

There are other things that have to be learned, completely unrelated to horses, in order to be successful in this industry.

And from a working student position, you have to shut up sometimes. From every professional who has to earn a living, or get their horses’ feet done, you have to shut up sometimes.

take what works and let the rest blow on by.

3 Likes

ALSO repeatedly asserting people didn’t read or didn’t read for comprehension: that goes beyond difficult to obnoxious.

3 Likes

N

First, we get many posters with little horse experience asking these kinds of questions, often high school kids, so until you gave the expanded version of your experience, no one knew who you were. And even if you give details later in the post lots of folks respond to the OP and miss later clarification.

Also it was odd to get exact same post again with no reference to all the info and help in the previous post. COTH has some membership turnover but most regular posters hang around for a number of years, so same question two months later, folks will remember and feel they are being trifled with.

Second, your initial post emphasized that you wanted a WS or maybe assistant trainer position where you could advance up the levels on a schoolmaster without investing any of your own money in horse or lessons. You might find a WS position where that’s possible but it’s certainly not a given. And it isn’t a great foundation for becoming a trainer. A better foundation is training your own project horse.

At the moment it sounds like your confirmed training and competition level is training level. So maybe you don’t need a BNT Grand Prix employer yet.

Maybe you would be best off going to work for a good local or regional trainer where your skills would be an asset, and owning a good but not world class project horse that you could realistically get to competing at third and then sell him on to an ammie client when he tops out. A really nice OTTB could do it and be cheap to buy green.

Then you could upgrade to a potential FEI test horse with the profits.

2 Likes

Honestly I have a great option available for someone who actually wants to be a trainer. I am building a small private farm and am willing to offer 2 free stalls (incl hay and shavings) at my facility to someone willing to do the chores for my two horses and do some light farm work like mowing 2-3hrs a day (total, including the horse chores). There would be plenty of time to get a job to cover training (upper level trainer on site) as well as housing and showing. It would be a great situation for someone who wanted to bring along a horse for themselves and a sales horse without the heavy costs of board here. I don’t want to have boarders, but it would be ideal for a trainer with a small program.

I haven’t advertised anything but this is more of an alternative trainer lease than it is a working student or assistant trainer situation.

But OP has stated that she needs to go to a top barn where she can get medals for her resume on a school master. She doesn’t want her own horse because she can’t afford a school master. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I say this as another ugh against these equine degrees and colleges: had OP gone to my not a horse college undergrad, she could have ridden successful FEI grand prix dressage horses. Had she gone anywhere even with no equestrian program she could have found successful programs to lesson with and honed her skills. Instead of sounds like she’s riding garbage for nobodies. And I say this as someone who has ridden garbage for nobodies. This is not the best way to become a successful professional.

I really strongly and 1000% again recommend go find the best person you can to pay for lessons with. Or full training. Your parents want to support you, pay for full training with a good program and rent an apartment nearby. Maybe the facility has apartments on site to rent. Find a horse to lease or purchase. Ride with trainer six days a week. Get a part time job in the area. My guess is you do this for a few months and maybe trainer offers you a second horse to ride. then a third. Get better. Be humble, even though you are paying. Be quiet. Follow directions. Don’t argue. Ride hard. Maybe in a year of working with a trainer every day you will be good enough for an assistant trainer position somewhere.

pay for the training and lessons and rides. Use that focused time with trainer to build your riding skills, not your resume or stall cleaning abilities.

3 Likes

Right - but this way she could actually make some money and make up some horses herself, selling along the way to keep trading up to the schoolmaster. IOW, the way the rest of us have to do it. Buy a quality young horse and bring it along.

I totally agree and in fact gave her similar advice above :slight_smile:

Well if anyone else is interested in moving to Connecticut and getting some inexpensive stalls to keep their sink costs down, send me a message. Never know what might work out.