Unlimited access >

Training OTTBs

I am quite curious about the raceworld and training on TBs before they get restarted.

I have ridden tons of OTTBs and they are fabulous. I have many friends who have restarted OTTBs and had great success with them as jumpers, eventers, and for dressage. I know they can completely range in temperaments/personalities/training on ground and under saddle. It’s largely dependent on where they were before and growing up.

But generally speaking, I am wondering what training goes into a young TBs being conditioned to race?

I know most learn to lead, clip, tie, bathe, trailer, farrier, vet from a young age (obviously attitude towards each varies depending on handling). Do they learn things like how to lunge? Are they sort of started under saddle at gaits other than a gallop (before getting restarted)? What else?

I have been told racehorses get rest periods too and may be trained in other disciplines for fun as well when at home. I guess this all may really depend on the home they are in. I feel a bit dumb now, but I am just very curious now because I have heard such very different things about every OTTB. The raceworld is portrayed in very mixed ways! Some come from great homes with quite a bit of education and others don’t.

1 Like

The book “Beyond The Track” by Anna Ford, who is a director at New Vocations, does a great job explaining the typical early years & training of young racehorses. Super thorough, I learned a lot and I’ve been around OTTBs for many years.

5 Likes

You might also have more luck on the racing forum or even breeding forum! Lots of misconceptions out there about the time and skills put into these horses.

One thing I learned (HUGE YMMV) is generally they single tie, ship, bathe, clip (somewhat), stand for the farrier, WTC, get their swaps, and can be ridden in “regular” English tack at least. Many can also lunge, and have been exposed to a lot of “life” that the average amateur riding horse has not.

HOWEVER - it’s the details that get laypeople in trouble. Most racehorses do not crosstie or single tie to a random fence. Many have only shipped on big vans or head to heads - so a tiny half door, step up/back off slant might cause some issues at first. Most are held for the farrier and rarely left tied in the aisle unattended. The under saddle cues are different and even the laziest racehorse can feel FORWARD to many people. They probably haven’t been taught to stand alone at the mounting block, but have been held with the rider given a leg up (often in motion). Lastly, a certain amount of “spirit” is often encouraged, and the ground manners and expectations (and skill level of the handlers) are vastly different from your average riding home.

Anyways, that’s my 2 cents as someone who has ridden and worked with a number of OTTBs - but I am by no means Benchmark Sporthorses or any kind of professional.

5 Likes

As ‘fivestrideline’ said, but also a lot depends on who is doing the starting. Some have been hacked as they do in england, some have been longed, some have been owned by people who have smaller trailers.

It is up to the new, non-racing owner to approach slowly, and figure it out.

BTDT x several.!

I can speak to the starting process our horses go through, which is probably pretty normal for how young TBs are brought along. It starts with long lining (learning steering and go-and-whoa) then moves to a round pen. Occasionally a lunge line is used (as sort of a single long line) but more often the horses simple walk/trot/gallop around the perimeter of the round pen, both alone and in company.

Next, a bit of cross country done at a walk or trot and then into an arena for more steering practice. They also learn how to balance and be part of a group. Lots of trotting. More trotting than anything else. After that, the first lessons on a track (not a real racetrack–a track at a training center). By the time they go there, they should be comfortable working either alone or in (sometimes close) company. Steering and whoa are installed, and they know their leads. Plus all the other things OP mentioned above. Once they get on the track, it’s less about learning new things than about conditioning. I hope that helps.

3 Likes

Depends on who breaks them, their background, their experience, their influences. Some take a couple of days, others take a month to get on a young horse. Some take half an hour. Either can work ok, depends on the horse and the skill of the trainer. Once able to be ridden, training progresses to train both the body and the mind to do the job required. The “company” of other horses is important, both useful to give a horse confidence and to develop competitive instincts to race. Intelligent trainers want the horse to enjoy and understand the game. Horses love a game, and competition, if they understand what they are being taught. The desire to do the right thing, as they understand it, is key to success, as in all equine disciplines. When switching the discipline to riding sport instead of racing, a number of things have to change for the horse, he must relearn a number of things that he thinks that he already knows. It comes easy to some, and more difficult to others.