Unlimited access >

Training the 3 year old

boy, I don’t push my youngsters like some here. At 3 they were broke to ride, for a month or more, then turned out. At four, they are or were ridden out up and down hills to build strength and learn to go forward, and the flat work began to/ could be done very effectively “out” - exercises in working off the leg did NOT need to be in the confinement of the ring. I believe you should be sure to get their heads and bodies right before the hard work begins.
JMHO

2 Likes

Just for fun - 2yrs 6 months to 4 yrs 5 months - video log

Just for fun - Video library from 2.5 yrs to 4.5 yrs.

Two and a half - Pre purchase video. Fresh out of the field.

90 days under saddle - She is 2 yrs, 9 months here (backed at 2 yrs, 6 months) - Training schedule is 5 days a week, short sessions of flat work and hacking.

8 months under saddle - She is 3 yrs, 1 month here. Work has still been very light, mostly consisting of trail riding and flat work focusing on moving forward and accepting the aids. Also introduced to crossing water!

First time jumping - She is 3 yrs, 2 months here- DISCLAIMER - We let her jump this line twice, then didn’t jump her again till November of 2009, when she was 3 yrs, 6 months.

First Show - She is 3 yrs, 5 months here -11 months under saddle. After this show her “training” started in earnest. Prior to this it was very light flat work and hacking. In November she began gearing up for her first horse trials.

I was busy having a baby so I wasn’t around much but other milestones that I wasn’t there to video -
December 2009 - 3 yrs, 7 months - First XC school
January 2010 - 3 yrs, 8 months - Tadpole (2’6) schooling horse trial

Preparing for Beginner Novice - 3 yrs, 9 months. At this age she also ran her first beginner novice and competed in two 4 y.o. YEH classes.
Dressage test - about the same time.

First Novice level dressage test - 4 yrs, 4 months

First time show jumping at Novice (2’11) - 4 yrs, 4 months

Mare Performance Test - 4 yrs, 5 months.

Oldenburg, I’m with you. Slow and steady. And, ironically, been there, done that. I had a dead sound horse I lost at 31, still doing honest FEI work. He was running on 800 acres and lightly broke at four. I got him at five. I want them around a long time. The Lippizzaners do this. I think they don’t get on them until 5? They’re doing airs above the ground into their 30’s regularly.

As everyone says, it’s individual, and of course do what you think is best. If I’m looking to BUY a horse, no WAY will I buy a horse ridden at three. If I don’t have control of the whole raising and conditioning process, I want to make sure I’m being cautious, because I think the wrong start takes a lot off the end. I have only bought a few times, but my last mare was broke at seven +. That was not intentional as she was a broodmare, and not my plan, but I feel much more secure that her whole start I have control of and know the history. By the way, once I repaired some damage from someone who did a really bad job with basic training, it was a much easier, different experience than that of a younger horse.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has actually done a study on when horses were started, what they did, and how long they lasted and stayed sound. I think the Lippizzaners are probably the best in terms of longevity?

We are brining my boarder’s 3 yr old along slow. We put him away for a bit this summer and just brought him back out. We just do some trotting, a little cantering. This week I took him out a a little trail ( he was a perfect!) For us, slow and consistent has worked so far.

My 15.3H 3 YO APHA was started on his third birthday in April. He was ridden lightly (20 min of walk/trot…mostly walk) 2 to 3 days a week since he was still growthy and too unbalanced to canter. He had 2 months off for July and August (I had an inner ear infection I could not get rid of/was dizzy and off balance myself) so no one gto ridden then. It was not bad timing for him to have off though! He is back in work about 2 days a week now. He filled out a bit/is more balanced and starting a little canter work. He can hold a canter for half a large circle…so that will come along as it comes. I would like to keep him in light work just a little bit over the winter but we don’t have an indoor. …so that will depend on the weather. He was started a little earlier than most here. Most are lightly started in fall of 3 YO year, put out for the winter and start real work u/s when they are 4. That has a lot to do with me just being too busy to GET to them before they are 4 between the other horses and working an off farm job…but developmentally I think it is not a bad thing either.

trust your horse

I bought my qh as a 2 1/2 yr old, she was w/t already. I spent the first year I had her only riding maybe 2-3x a week.She learned how to w/t long low and easy, I only started to “try” the canter in march.She turned 4 in may. She has amazed me in the way of letting me know she is ready for more. I am not sure if it is all the quiet easy work I put into her or if she was born balanced!!!I still only spend 10-20 minutes on her, maybe a little x-rail or little vertical thrown in. I ruined an amazing T.b by doing it all with her at 3-4 years old because she was so balanced and well behaved. I learned and will take my time with this mare. I would listen to your gut, it will point you right…

[edit]

For me, I am much more worried about chronic and future neck and back problems from starting and riding horses too young than anything else. I have learned 2 things in my misadventures in horse owning and shopping. 1) There are very few really sound horses out there and 2) most people I have run into simply cannot see that a horse is lame until they are head bobbing.

I have seen horse after horse started incorrectly (IMO) and very early with so much tension over their back and neck, bit chewing, foot dragging, tail flicking, head flipping. It’s actually started to make me incredibly depressed.

i mean sure, fine, start them at 3 and do some light hacking, but please get out of the ring, stop the circles, and let go of that horses face!

Anyway, that’s what I have learned through all this, whether it’s right or wrong it feels right to me and many vets I respect agree.

2 Likes

[QUOTE=Perfect Pony;5113020]

I have seen horse after horse started incorrectly (IMO) and very early with so much tension over their back and neck, bit chewing, foot dragging, tail flicking, head flipping. It’s actually started to make me incredibly depressed.
.[/QUOTE]

Most of your post I agree with but what is the issue with the bit chewing? Chewing is good…unless you really meant “grinding”?

yes you are right, I meant to say “chomping”, and this usually accompanies the dreaded head tilt…

[edit]

i mean sure, fine, start them at 3 and do some light hacking, but please get out of the ring, stop the circles, and let go of that horses face!

I am just curious what the problem is with doing work in an arena. Mine was carefully designed and has superb footing in all but the most inclement weather. It is ideal. We also ride our horses, including youngsters, outside the arena and on trails at my farm on the rolling hills because it is good for their minds and conditioning. But the very best footing is in the arena.

Also, I have a very sharp eye for lameness and I am beginning to think that it is odd that you apparently think all horses are lame or have a neurological issue of some sort (based on your posts).

2 Likes

PP, are you saying that if i show you my 100% sound youngster who happens to maybe have a light bruise somewhere or be a bit stiff from a playful romp in the field, you’re going to point and cry foul and accuse me of having a lame, broken down young horse??! Define “lame”, please. A horse is a living, breathing, often PLAYFUL animal - they get minor owies and booboos just like us - doesn’t automatically mean their owner is clueless and the horse is “lame”. Jeez. :rolleyes:

Man, if someone did x-rays or flexion tests on me, i’d probably have to be bubble wrapped and never allowed to ride again, LOL! :lol:

1 Like

That statement probably deserves some clarification.

The clarification is that what some people SAY they do, and what they really do, are very different. Thank goodness for the PM and search functions on this website.

BTW, it does go both ways fortunately. I have found some amazing breeders and horse owners via COTH as well.

I mean, do you really think that everyone on these forums are representing themselves honestly?

not on the BB or in real life either. But if you want to cast vague allegations at a group of people (the people on “this” thread), you probably owe everyone the courtesy of being a tad more specific, don’t you think? Or maybe that thought was better left unsaid? Some things are, you know…

1 Like

[QUOTE=Perfect Pony;5113240]
The clarification is that what some people SAY they do, and what they really do, are very different. Thank goodness for the PM and search functions on this website.

BTW, it does go both ways fortunately. I have found some amazing breeders and horse owners via COTH as well.

I mean, do you really think that everyone on these forums are representing themselves honestly?[/QUOTE]

I know a number of the breeders who post here and am familiar with their programs. I think your vague accusation is out of line. I also know you have never seen my farm or horses.

[QUOTE=DMK;5113256]
not on the BB or in real life either. But if you want to cast vague allegations at a group of people (the people on “this” thread), you probably owe everyone the courtesy of being a tad more specific, don’t you think? Or maybe that thought was better left unsaid? Some things are, you know…[/QUOTE]

But it is not better to be vague because in the effort to protect the few purported “villains,” all are potentially harmed by the accusation. It is the epitome of irresponsibility.

Also, I am curious about the alleged dishonesty. What, that people start their horses at 2 not 4? That their pro weighs 104, not 100 pounds dripping wet? What? And why would people bother “misrepresenting” about their programs for youngsrers? There is no one way to go about it, so where would be the gain? For example, PP obviously wants them started at 4 or so, but a lot of pros would think there is something wrong with the horse if that were the case.

As YL said, we’re still waiting for you to point out these “inconsistencies” in what people are saying here vs what they’ve apparently posted elsewhere. For example, if you’re including me, i would love to know what you think I’m lying about, so i can politely correct whatever impression you may have gotten. I think anyone else deserves the same courtesy - perhaps if someone on here claims to start their babies at 4 but you’ve seen them post about a certain 3 yr old that they’ve backed, then that horse might just be an exception, who knows… but don’t make blanket accusations like that, that’s completely uncalled for and unfair.

Ok then, there is a certain Connemara breeder on here has a husband that weighs 200lbs that is riding their 3 year old into the ground, and more than one person familiar with the pony cross has requested I save the poor pony. This pony is not lightly ridden, in fact he is out showing training level test 4 with a 200lbs man and can barely hold himself up! He is also jumping novice level fences cross country. This pony also has a totally blown out hock, and pretty severe muscle wasting along his topline, neither of which was disclosed to me before I drove 2 1/2 hours to see the horse.

To add insult to injury, I was scheduling a second visit to see a 2 year old, and had to find out from someone else the 2 year old had club foot surgery as a foal!

I have received numerous PMs about the condition and treatment of the ponies.

Oh, and another poster who claims to be a “breeder”, not on this thread, is actually a hoarder who owes all the local vets, farriers, and other barn owners thousands of dollars. This person has essentially abandoned 8 horses, has gone to jail more than once, and is in the middle of a court case right now.

Once again, many people know about her, and send PMs about her (thankfully) but she trolls this forum as a “expert”.

[QUOTE=Perfect Pony;5113332]
Oh, and another poster who claims to be a “breeder”, not on this thread, is actually a hoarder who owes all the local vets, farriers, and other barn owners thousands of dollars. This person has essentially abandoned 8 horses, has gone to jail more than once, and is in the middle of a court case right now.

Once again, many people know about her, and send PMs about her (thankfully) but she trolls this forum as a “expert”.[/QUOTE]

How do you find these people??

1 Like