Unlimited access >

Training the 3 year old

@DMK Thank you so much for the response! I can definitely relate. I have a lot to comment back on and ask about but am on the phone and will just save myself the frustration until I’m on my computer :lol:

I wanted to check in on this again, but with the forum change I got all sorts of discombobulated!

We have made some big progress at the canter in the past couple months; I think mainly in part to him figuring out more of his balance. He starting picking the canter up when asked from both the trot (without a million trot strides) and from the walk with just a stride or two of trotting. He is almost always getting the correct lead as well. A few weeks ago, I asked him to pick it up on a circle and he did! He also is figuring out if he breaks to a trot, he can pick the canter back up again. Really working the canter cues on trail and the balance basics is paying off.

He ALSO just last night, had a breakthrough in figuring out what I am asking for when I ask him to get into the frame. That has been a struggle. I was just going to go on the trails, but he was all sorts of squirrelly so I popped in the ring first and was really glad I did. I’ll post a couple of subpar photos off video here next.

They really are like freight trains to start out hahaha. The steering as been coming along but I am thankful he has brakes! Once he “gets” something though, he gets it. And even if we are off training for a bit (no indoor) so weather is a big player, he picks up where we left off. I also like the verbal cues, he seems very responsive to those and likely because is was trained to pull a cart. 10m circles with a cart SOUND much harder than just ridden!!

2 Likes

Here are a couple photos; cantering ones he of course got the incorrect lead when I had the video on, but that’s ok. The trot one was last night.

2 Likes

There was another thread on this topic, don’t know exactly. Lipicans are started at 4 yo for Spanish Riding School. They have a protected childhood with best conditions. I think we always have to keep in mind that it is about a mix of breeding, raising, keeping and training. If I waited for a foal to grow for years, I can wait a little longer if needed.

I started all my horses at 4 - a few months prior to turning 4 I did introduce them to a bit, a surcingle - they learned to longe a bit - a few minutes three times a week - and I long-lined them as well so they learned "go, stop-steer’ from the ground. They were taught ground manners from the moment I got them.
These are all horses I bought un-started, at various ages - one was four and had only been halter broken, He led, tied, picked up his feet, walked into a trailer, stood for the farrier and ver and for grooming but that was it. Another was a two year old when I got her and the youngest horse I’ve had was a yearling.
None of them were “monstors.” If you handle them consistently - that does not happen.
None of them were asked to do any heavy schooling/hacking until they were five. Two of them are now 18 and they look and act ten years younger. It would be helpful if more horse owners paid attention to biology - horses grow slowly. It takes 7 years for them to complete their growth. And just because a horse does not look or act sore, doesn’t mean they aren’t. . . a lot of horses are quite sotic.,

3 Likes