Unlimited access >

Tranq my dog?

I am wondering if anyone else would think this is weird.
Took the cockapoo to a new vet. Prior vet was overdue for retirement, forgetful, missed a diagnosis that I felt resulted in unnecessary suffering for my dog.
The cockapoo, by the way, IS a dog and has a strong but not bad personality. He is wary and alert in new situations but I did not see him offer to bite new vet. Took the dog there for update on rabies, because he’s overdue for groomer but rabies cert. expired and groomer needs it. New vet says I can stop in and get tranquilizer for him before next vet visit, and also if the groomer tells me they are having any issues I can get pills for that too.

I really felt I was being urged to tranq the dog. This dog has gone to three different groomers over the years and none of them reported any issues.

I have never considered tranqing a dog in case he would bite. Maybe for a really scared-of-thunder dog, to help him feel better. But that’s not this dog.

Wondering if I should keep looking for a different vet…

Sounds like the vet considers him a bite risk, for whatever reason? It might be worth further discussion about why that is before throwing in the towel completely. Perhaps this vet sees a lot of clients with a “strong personality” that frequently request sedation for vet and grooming, so just assumed.

2 Likes

If the dog is a “bite risk” just get a muzzle and put it on him. He won’t feel groggy, you don’t feel like you are doing something unnecessary, yet you still have piece of mind that he won’t bite his groomer. It’s a win win. Kinda sounds like your vet may be a bit scared of your dog… :eek:

6 Likes

Yes, I agree. This vet does consider him a bite risk. And I consider any dog that is stressed a bite risk. And a dog having a first encounter with a new vet might be stressed. I will think about your suggestion. Thanks.

Brilliant.

Remember, being stressed isn’t fun for your dog. We want your dog to love going to the groomer. The veterinarian may have proactive in offering the medication

4 Likes

If you’re going to muzzle it, please muzzle TRAIN it. Don’t just slap a muzzle on it.

4 Likes

Though any dog could be a potential bite risk in the right situations, there are some dogs where that situation would have to be a heck of a lot more extreme than others.
That being said, some people, even vets and groomers, are more comfortable dealing with possible aggressive dogs than others. If you aren’t comfortable with this vets approach then I suggest trying a different one.

This is a new proactive approach to veterinary medicine. Fear free is the current moniker. I suspect your new vet is going to prescribe trazadone or gabapentin. Not your grandfather’s ace.

2 Likes

If I had a vet suggest I tranq my dog prior to a visit, I think I’d be looking for a new vet.

I have 2 dogs, same breed but different temperaments. One I don’t worry about and one can be a little sensitive. I let the office take the sensitive one in the back. I believe them when they’ve told me that he’s just fine when they get him back there. Often the behavior changes when ‘mom’ or ‘dad’ isn’t around.

I also have no issue if they choose to briefly muzzle them. I personally believe any dog might bite given the right provocation and circumstances. I’d be just as happy if neither of my pups bite anyone :slight_smile:

Tranq for me would be a ‘just say no and move on’ suggestion.

1 Like

I have never muzzled a dog, so I didn’t know there was such thing as muzzle training. Please elaborate.

1 Like

A lot of people just think that you can slap a muzzle onto a dog and all is fine, but that can be very stressful for a dog. Most dogs do not like things around their faces, so to suddenly slap on a muzzle when the dog is in a high stress environment is not the best idea. This can create even more fear and bad memories of the vet (or wherever the muzzle is used) and some dogs will even become ‘muzzle smart’ and start attacking the muzzle as you try to put it on.
If you train your dog ahead of time that the muzzle means treats and calmness, it goes a long way to making it a more positive association and experience.
Here is one video showing a trainer working through muzzle training.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJTucFnmAbw&t=556s

5 Likes

The muzzle up project also has good info
https://muzzleupproject.com

2 Likes

I am a bit confused by some of the posts on this thread.

These are mainly anti anxiety drugs used to make a visit less stressful for a dog or cat. The idea being to make a vet visit a happy unstressful time.

4 Likes

it’s less stressful for the dog to have anti- anxiety meds on board than to have to be muzzled and more aggressively held. Not saying that’s your dog of course. Anti anxiety meds can help a dog form less stressful memories of the vets office as those high anxiety memories ramp up at each visit and wary dogs often turn into more than wary if they’re pushed each visit.

I respect your vet for being proactive in trying to reduce your dog’s stress although he could have explained his reasoning better. I always frame it as having the dogs best interest in mind versus the risk of myself or my tech being bitten.

5 Likes

“Tranq-ing” is very different than giving them an anti-anxiety medication. Trazadone is a wonderful drug for dogs who can be nervous, anxious or a bit bold at the vet clinic. They are still alert (you wont have to carry them in in a comatose state) but they will be more relaxed and have an overall better experience. I would MUCH prefer my dog to have the anxiety treated than pinned down and muzzled…no way, no thanks.

Its basically like you having a glass of wine. Everything is better after a glass (or two) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yup, you beat me to it. My Vet is VERY into the whole Fear Free thing. At first I thought it was kind of a marketing thing, but let me tell you, it is super cool. I have a Corgi puppy, and from day one the entire staff at hospital was into making the visit a fun one. Guess what, Ben is so excited when we pull in the parking lot of the hospital. He loves going there, and he is super relaxed. When he got his vaccinations, they distracted him with peanut butter. He didn’t even know he got a shot.

It sounds like your Vet was being proactive and trying to make the visit as stress free as possible. Sounds like a good Vet to me!

3 Likes

I know this is an older thread but just wanted to say after two awful experiences at my vet, I found a fear free clinic and I am so happy I did. Instead of being a muzzled, wild, anxious beast, my dog got treated appropriately for him and his visit was happy, tail waggy, getting loves from the vet not a dangerous wrestling match. The fear free vet was able to do everything with no muzzle even.

1 Like