Unlimited access >

Transporting manure (on purpose)

Over the winter, I’ve been eyeing the manure pile at my barn and the garden in my backyard and trying to figure out how to incorporate one into the other. If you’ve done this before, or are clever with logistics, I’d appreciate any suggestions!

Here’s what I’m working with:

• I don’t have a pickup, nor do I have a horsey friend who could lend theirs.
  • I do have an SUV. So ample room in the back for cargo, but it’s all interior room… plus I need to boost any container up into the back hatch.
  • I have a husband, and would like to keep him. Mr. Carrots, who believes that rolling green fields should contain tees and pin markers instead of cross-country fences, would not take kindly to ANY sort of spill, or even a phantom trace of fragrance.
  • The drive between barn and home is about an hour, so containment needs to be reliable. No big hills or sharp bends that would shift things… unpleasantly.
  • For worried gardeners: I’m planning on pulling from the bottom of the pile, where things have decomposed the longest. I also have a compost system if anything needs additional cooking. No need to worry that I’m going to be burning any green plants!

Many thanks to anyone who can help me get this sh!t together. :grin:

1 Like

In this situation I would buy some 5-gallon buckets with lids from Home Depot, and just bring them each time you go to the barn. The lids are fairly secure, but strap them in securely so they can’t tip over.

Second choice would be some Rubbermaid type containers. The lids aren’t as secure, and they are more flexible, but they are shorter and wider so less chance of tipping. Get whatever size you can lift when full.

Make sure that the hay or pasture was not sprayed with Grazon or anything like that – it can last quite a while in compost and may damage your garden plants.

2 Likes

wsmoak has some good suggestions. Another option is to rent a trailer. They’re fairly cheap to rent for a couple hours. If there’s a tractor with a bucket at the barn, get them to dump a load and that will be enough manure to last you a couple years (you’ll want to mix it in with soil rather than use it pure). Have fun!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t put it in the car. Rent a smaller U-haul trailer and line it with a tarp/ tarps so it won’t leak out/ blow out. That also will make it easier to get all of it out. And as suggested see if you can get somebody to load it with a loader.

2 Likes

How much do you need? Buckets are fine for small loads, I would also line the sunv with a tarp. But having hauled a lot of this, trailer is best, especially if you can shovel it out directly onto garden, for less handling.

1 Like

Just be aware, that some trailer rentals require you to have a truck of a certain size to pull them.

(To clarify, I am not saying the trailer physically requires a truck or a certain size, I am saying the rental policy requires a truck of a certain size.)

1 Like

In addition to a covered, secure container, I would line the cargo area with plastic. Something like a shower curtain, then newspaper to absorb any potential leakage. Choose good weather, turn off ventilation, and leave windows open.

My husband would not be happy. My personal choice would be bagged, composted and dry manure from the garden center. Cost is around $3 per bag. No odor, no leaks, easy to move, and no marital dispute.

4 Likes

How big is your garden?
What kind of bedding does your barn use?

If it’s a small garden, and your barn uses either straw or wood pellets, I would use 5 gallon buckets in a Hefty bag.

If it’s a large garden, and/or your barn uses wood shavings - I’m not sure I would bother. Shavings break down poorly and can raise the acidity of your soil. Unless you’re looking to lower pH intentionally, you would probably be better off with commercially prepared compost to add to your garden (have a pile delivered).

Horse manure is not bad as a soil amendment, but the more bedding that is in it, the less useful it is. Unless, as I mentioned, you have a pH balance issue.

2 Likes

One option is to fill empty grain and bedding bags with manure and hump them home. It’s dirty work, and really–you’ll need a lot of bags–but empty bags should be readily available, and free!

3 Likes

Go rent a truck from home depot or u-haul. Its worth it for the marriage. Then you can use feed bags or whatever to transport, even putting in loose and just rinsing truck bed at a car wash prior to returning.

3 Likes

I have transported manure in a big plastic storage bin like you’d use for the garage - it smelled even with the lid on.

But a small trailer is your best bet - line with a tarp for easy removal/cleanup. Almost any vehicle can tow one of these

1 Like

City friends used HD 50gal contractor garbage bags to haul manure home to their gardens from my pile. In their cars - sedans mostly.
I 2nd the idea of tarping the SUV before putting the bags in. In case a bag leaks.
Caveat: they are going to be VERY HEAVY.

2 Likes

Thank you, all, for these great suggestions. I think I’m going to find a time to do the trailer rental, as that seems by far the simplest. I appreciate you helping me not overthink this!

Most definitely the right solution. Or just rent a pickup for the day, it’ll only be like $50.

1 Like

Even if you rent a pick-up put a tarp in the bed before you load. Then you can wrap it over the load and secure it closed. I used to do this when I had a source of loose bark that I used for landscaping. You cannot believe how much easier it made getting the bottom of the load out and clean-up.

1 Like

I do this ALL the time and have a pretty good system.

I have a cheap but sturdy cargo carrier for my rear hitch, a la:
https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-70107-Hitch-Compact-Carrier/dp/B008CE0LD2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=8ELF9B6MJ5IL&dchild=1&keywords=tailgate+cargo+carrier&qid=1614718286&sprefix=tailgate+car%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-4

I have two muck tubs, a la:

A bag of heavy duty contractors bags, at least 3 mil, a la:

And two ratcheting straps, a la:
https://www.amazon.com/Ohuhu-Ratchet-Tie-Down-Straps/dp/B08C2YT2S7/ref=sr_1_10?crid=1S9WBGWR3R6R5&dchild=1&keywords=ratchet+straps&qid=1614718582&sprefix=ratch%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-10

I put the tub in a wheelbarrow, line it with a contractors bag, folded over the edge of the tub like you’d line a trash can. I fork my compost into the tub. Wheel the filled tub over to my tailgate and then slide the [heavy!] filled tub onto the cargo bed. Repeat for a second filled tub. Pull up the edges of the bag and tie it with some baling twine and secure both tubs down with ratchet straps snuggly. I drive about 19 miles home, part on highways.

When I get home, I can either ease the filled tub off the tailgate into my garden wheelbarrow, or simply tip it and dump it like a bag of grain. A quality contractors bag makes life easier here, less tearing and pulling if you find yourself wrestling with it.

I bed my horses on peat moss and uneaten hay, so I have awesome black gold. I use my compost with a very heavy hand at home. 2 muck tubs full will get me through about 3 hours of early spring gardening. I make about 8 trips for myself early season, and drop off 3 or 4 loads for a friend.

If you get heavy duty grade contractors bags, and avoid putting in sharp things like sticks from the compost pile, you can reuse the bags over and over and they will last most of the season.

Word of advice: Do not plan to pick up compost soon after a rain… wait a couple of days… even in dry/drought conditions, compost is HEAVY, but a fresh rain can double the weight.

Happy gardening! Your roses, marigolds and tomatoes will LOVE the stuff!

1 Like

That would make excellent compost! Mine compost is manure, uneaten hay and wood pellet bedding…but some loads are better than others. In the summer I use a lot of pellets because the horses stand in their stalls in front of fans a lot. It makes horrible compost.

2 Likes

@buck22, thank you for this idiot-proof step-by-step guide! I really appreciate it!