Trapped Ulna nerve?

This is the newest thing making my life miserable. The muscles in my hand have started to atrophy. It will need a surgery for correction,I am on the hurry up and wait plan for that. Has any one had this . What did you do to cope with the pain and the clawing of your fingers. Help this is very inconvenient .

Not sure if this is the same thing, but…I tend to have issues with my ulnar nerve (the one that goes through your elbow). For me it is usually an achiness or numbness in my pinky and half of my ring finger, or an achiness around the elbow when I have it bent ( because that actually puts more stress on it). To mitigate the symptoms I generally take some advil when it’s particularly annoying. I also try to sleep with it straight out. Have you had any chiropractic work done? I recently went in for a low back issue and they found some mid back areas that were “out.” after he adjusted me my arm was quite a bit better. Anyhow, I hope you’re feeling better soon!

I think my friend just had a similar surgery on her right arm, and is waiting until later this summer to have her left done. She is a pianist, and was having difficulty playing and her hands were “falling asleep” constantly.

She had the nerve removed from the elbow and placed outside the “tunnel” so to speak. Full recovery and is doing very well. She had a lot of bleeding post-surgery and some pain and swelling as well, but is eager to have her other arm done.

I can ask her for more info if needed.

I have an entrapped ulnar nerve–makes my pinky and ring finger go numb, and is generally very uncomfortable. I have to remember not to pick up anything breakable with my left hand (luckily I am right handed). It is worse when I have my elbow bent, and way worse when I lean on it.

I had a lot of atrophy in that hand. My rheumatologist sent me to a physical therapist–oh, my, what a difference! I had feeling back in my fingers after the first session. If I keep up with the exercises, I can keep it at bay. When I’m lazy or forget, it gets way worse.

I’ve not considered surgery for it because the non-invasive PT exercises work so well.

Rebecca

I have a trapped Obturator nerve (leg) and Topamax helps calm the nerve a bit. It’s still not great, but I couldn’t walk without it.

Thanxs for all the suggestions. I hope this can get fixed soon.It’s really getting to be a drag.

It’s not exactly the same thing, but I’ve had quite a bit of hand/wrist/shooting arm type pain that was given the quick&easy diagnosis of carpal tunnel. Turns out all the problems were in my shoulders. Trigger points around there can imitate other problems. Who knew the beatings (deep tissue work) actually would improve morale? I’m just glad to have found out before any cutting was done.

[QUOTE=Calvincrowe;5706570]
She had the nerve removed from the elbow and placed outside the “tunnel” so to speak. [/QUOTE]

I had this done. It’s called Ulnar nerve transposition surgery, although I had mine because I had Cubit tunnel (essentially carpal tunnel in the elbow joint).

While the surgery and recovery were a nuisance, they werent exceptionally painful and helped a lot. One thing my surgeon did tell me was that having it done sooner rather than later is better. Something about whether the compressed nerves are able to recover or have become permanently damaged.