Trashed Wrist

Anyone out there really ruin your wrist and came back enough to ride competitively again? I broke my arm but the fracture has left a large gap in my wrist and right now I have very limited use in my wrist. Will get some of it back but not sure how much. Can’t do palms up or palms down, very limited up or down movement. Gripping is about 50% or less, probably can’t hold reins well but should get more of that back. Then there is the mental part of dealing with a disability.

Anyone been there? And I am not 30, so this is new territory for me.

More or less. My issue isn’t as bad as yours, unless it’s in the middle of a flare up. Basically, I have a bone cyst in one of the carpal bones, and if it gets wrenched or tweaked just right, I can be out for weeks at a time. Extension is limited to about 10 degrees backward, and flexion is also probably about 20-30 degrees forward. Grip is probably about 60% when it’s really bad. Extension (backward) is only about 30% when the wrist isn’t in a flare up - I will always have limited mobility in both directions. Hand surgeon wanted to go in and do bone grafts, etc, but thus far we’ve managed to avoid that option by just being savvy in how I use that hand and using braces when needed.

I’m careful how I do push ups, weights, lifting buckets, etc all the time. If I’m jumping anything higher than cross rails, I wear a wrist brace with backside support, to prevent my hand from being pushed backward in the event we have a funny jump and and I jam my wrist. I also wear wrist braces for playing ice hockey. By being aware of what the wrist can/can’t handle, and using proper supports and avoiding activities that don’t mesh well, I’ve managed to get back into riding regularly (don’t compete at the moment), and play hockey at a fairly competitive level.

Are you working with a physical therapist? If not, you may want to look into it as it might help. My PT and I did several exercises to help with strengthening and increasing range of motion (elastic band exercises, putty, rotating a hammer, etc). Started slow, but worked up to more and more reps. We also did ultrasound therapy, which of course wasn’t super effective because it turned out to be a bone issue, not soft tissue. PT was somewhat effective for me; limited improvement, but better than it had been before.

Listen to your doctors. Don’t do any more than they advise at that time. Be aware of the issue, but try not to freak out over it. Pay strict attention to how much your wrist can handle, and what makes it worse. For example, I sleep in a wrist brace because a couple nights without it, and the wrist gets very sore and stiff (I curl up like a bunny at night). Keeping it braced and straight while I sleep sets me up for a good day. The wrist is a very complicated and funny joint, and I’m about at 90-95% from normal, without using any pain killers or drugs, strictly by managing the wrist carefully.

The mental side is just recognizing there’s a weakness there, and reducing the situations where it might be a problem. Don’t allow yourself to worry to death about it, as I found that just made it worse.

I am in PT 3 days a week. Have different braces for different reasons. Just ordered a pronation brace that looks like something out of Star Trek. I am really wondering if I will be able to compete like I once did, have a long road ahead of me. Fortunately, pain is not a huge issue. I can do some lifting and there was talk of another surgery with a bone graft. Go back to the surgeon next week, guess we will see then.

[QUOTE=monalisa;7177897]
I am in PT 3 days a week. Have different braces for different reasons. Just ordered a pronation brace that looks like something out of Star Trek. I am really wondering if I will be able to compete like I once did, have a long road ahead of me. [/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the real answer there is that no one here knows that. I guess if all the treatment goes well and you support it properly, I don’t see why not, as I’m able to do quite a lot, even with a brace on. I wish you the best with it though.

I injured my right wrist as a gymnast at 12 1/2 years old and it took 10 years to become fully functional again.
Since I am left handed, I coped ok, could start colts and train and show jumping, just compensated for it.

After ten years, it was fine, could not hardly remember which wrist was injured, until I was past 60 and it became very sore and stiff.
Had surgery then to correct the initial problem, have a plate and seven screws, full function and is fine, go figure.:lol:

As with any joint injuries, try to take the best care you can and be glad for whatever function you get back.

I would say you will be fine, once you learn to work with what you have.:yes:

Due to joint erosion I have little to no movement in either wrist. Thankfully both fused straight, and as time has gone on my grip has improved from not being able to carry a cup to being able to lift buckets of water. Its taken 5 years to adapt. I went from not being able to hold a rein or lunge line to driving a 2 year old for the first time last night. I was 26 when they started fusing.

Best things are different sizes of foam to put on everything from bushes/combs (for you) to spoons and pens. Sometimes making something ‘bigger’ makes it easier to hold on to. And if you have squishy foam you can do your hand grip exercises while doing every day things. Brace things when they hurt. I still sleep and ride with braces, but I no longer wear them to work/school and out doing normal things. However for the first 2 years I used them a lot. Once people knew why I was wearing them, they became less of a ‘big deal’.

I’ve shown AQHA breed shows with my braces on without comment (they are black and blend with most of my jackets). One show office recommended a doctors note might be a good option just in case one of the judges had a question, but for the most part they never notice.