Traumatic Brain Injury - Riding

Curious how many of you ride after having suffered a traumatic brain injury (tbi). I had a severe traumatic brain injury 30+ years ago. At the time of my injury I had a horse and rode for another 10 years. Then life and other things intruded, although I was still involved with horses on a limited basis, I didn’t ride. Regained my dream two years ago when got a horse again and am riding. Just wondering how many folks have experienced a tbi and if you take special precautions. I am particularly curious about the type of helmets you use. Thanks so much.

I suffered a TBI during a college soccer game- starburst shaped fractures on the back of my skull, bleeding on the brain, swelling, damage to my optical nerve.

It took about 6 months for me to get back in the saddle. I remember that it took me a bit to feel balanced again. The biggest difference I’ve seen is that since that injury, it takes me longer to get my seat back after time off. Also, I jump- and I know have really ride jumps by feel more than eye- I really don’t see spots anymore.

I’m a helmet every ride kind of girl anyway, but also wear a helmet when I’m working a horse from the ground- long lining, lunging, etc. If I’m working with an especially unpredictable or fractious horse, I’ll wear a helmet picking feet or grooming. I have an IRH and plan on helmet shopping at Rolex this weekend.

I had one almost 30 years ago. That was the worst, in ICU for a while in and out of a coma. I also had several concussions since. I have chronic vertigo, no short term memory, and various other issues as a result. It has made me very careful with my daughter, and what horses/ponies she rides etc… I do sometimes ride without a helmet. My last concussion/knock out I was on the ground feeding (horse lifted head into my face). My neurologist wants me to wear a football helmet with full face gear when I’m near/riding the horses. Don’t think I’ll go that far. I try to be more careful now. In my younger days, not so much.

I like the Aegis by Devon-Aire

I haven’t had a TBI but did recently suffer a concussion after a nasty fall from my horse. I hit my head really hard.

I was wearing an Aegis helmet. It absorbed the shock really well. There’s a small, one inch crack in the hard shell, and two small cracks to the interior and that was it. Those who saw me hit thought I’d be unconscious for sure.

The Aegis performed beyond my expectations…far better than the Troxel I’d had before (a very light hit virtually destroyed that helmet, bent/bowed all the vents, the inside was crazy with cracks, the shell warped.) I’m pleased enough with it’s performance that I plan to replace it with another Aegis. Lightweight, comfortable at an affordable price. Works for me. :yes:

Not quite the same, but I have concussion syndrome from (OK, a ‘few’) too many concussions.

I have started wearing my helmet for things like breeding (live cover), doing hooves on young horses, and even groundwork/lunging young horses. My last concussion I wasn’t even mounted–was double-barrel kicked by a mare on the ground, so hard I sat down, then snapped back. Was the very first day I wore my Aegis helmet. Last day too. :wink: I was quite glad I had it on. Ordered a second and fit was different, sadly.

Second-to-last concussion was a hind hoof to the forehead. Not even the horse’s fault. I don’t even remember what I was doing now (did then lol!) but I was bent down under, and horse kicked at a horsefly.

The Doc told me on the concussion BEFORE that one… the one where I did lose consciousness, and still don’t know why/how I came off… (though I have a vivid sound & feeling memory of hitting the ground!) that I really needed to be more careful because of cumulative effects etc. I do have cluster migraines and migraines, which may or may not be related.

I can think of at least two other serious concussions, one that I was ‘sleepy’ and not seen when I was in college… But the bed-spins/blackout one was probably the scariest.

There is some really super iteresting new research and information available on TBI and concussion syndrome thanks to the NFL of all groups… Senate hearings recently. It’s fascinating–and scary–stuff.

Our brains are so miraculous. There is so much we still don’t KNOW about how they work and heal. Huge props to those of you who’ve come back from serious injury.

where is the confidence

they take a l o n g time!

I had two strokes, 10 years ago;though from the beginning I insisted :yes::mad:that I would/ could get back to my life with horses again; sadly, that has not been:sadsmile: true:no:; I have done 4 therapeutic riding sessions;) at two different locations; being led at the walk which, was ok with me:yes: I would love to do more ;)but, sadly I am unable to find a program which can take me; I am still in a wheelchair, with left side paralyzed, and a severe visual field cut:cry: