Unlimited access >

Traveling to WEG this week after hurricane/storms?

We were supposed to leave tomorrow am to go to Tryon but have postponed it until Tuesday morning for other reasons. However, NC Gov’t is saying not to travel in NC at all and that a number of roads are closed, and COTH reported there were warnings of heavy flooding and mud slides around TIEC but the venue so far being ok. Curious to get any and all experiences about the effects everyone is experiencing in trying to fly and drive to TIEC, not just from KY, and if it’s likely to be doable with a giant camper. We are scheduled to stay in Rutherfordton which is NE of Tryon it looks like. Happy to hear the venue has fared well thus far and hopefully is past the worst of it.

Are you coming from Ky and coming in via I 40 thru Knoxville? If so, you should be OK on major highways. 40 is washed out and will be closed but farther east. From Raleigh or Charlotte on major roads,you should be good to go. Stay the heck away from anything anywhere near the coast and off any twisty, up down two laners anywhere.

Download and use the Waze app. It takes road changes into account.

1 Like

Well, flying into Charlotte … all our friends on redeyes made it ok. For whatever reason the only delayed flight out of Denver was the first civilized (7am) departure to CLT. (is delayed by 4 hours.) DD and I are hanging out waiting to standby on the 945 departure. Sigh. So much for flying the major carrier … we won’t even get there until late this afternoon. Our friends said nice weather and clear drive.

Lots of fun clips on Facebook of the vaulting folks making lemonade … one set of folks sailed their air mattress up the jog track. :slight_smile:

In response to queries about road conditions: I am at a campground between Rutherfordton and Tryon and roads are just fine. Of course, I am referring to the backroads I’ve traveled from campground to show site (about 15 minutes). All we got here was rain (like a rainy day). Just got back from WEGS, and no bother about mud. If you come, make sure to bring something for shade as it is brutal in the stands. Make sure to bring a sun hat. I even bought a scarf to lay across my thighs to protect them from the sun (I burn very easily…). I can’t speak for the highways as I am about 20 miles from them but everything near show site is fine.