Tribute Essential K vs. Triple Crown 30%?

I’m thinking about switching my horse from Tribute’s Essential K to TC 30 because it’s now available at my local feed store. I have to travel about an hour to get the EK. I’m just wondering if, for the sake of convenience, it might be worth the switch. Looking at the guaranteed analysis, they seem fairly comparable. What are your experiences with TC 30 and preference if you’ve used both? Thanks!

I’ve been using TC 30% for years, and have always been happy with it. They have excellent customer service and great formulation.

Have had dealings with Kalmbach and was left extremely unimpressed. PM me if you would like details.

I’ve used TC 30% for quite awhile now on my OTTB mare with Cushings/borderline IR and who is an extremely easy-keeper (not usually the norm for TBs). She has done very well on it - I have always had good results with any TC feed I’ve used over the years. I’ve never fed Tribute feeds so I can’t comment on that.

I use it regularly to put extra topline on my race horses, and I used it in the past for my riding horses. The riding horses have been switched to TC Lite as they are easy keepers, but I still like TC 30 in the right situation.

TC30 has a better nutrient profile, so that’s my preference

I switched from EK to TC 30% recently and have been very happy with the results. I use it as a protein additive for a hard working dressage OTTB on top of his grain.

My “will eat anything” older horse hated the TC 30. He would not eat it. I tried the EK but wasn’t happy with the way he looked on it - very poor hair coat. If I was choosing for another horse of mine, I’d try the TC 30 but definitely would not feed the EK.

I have one who was happy with a couple bags’ worth of TC30, then the next bag she was pickier, and by the 4th bag she was done. I switched to Progressive and she loved it. Then the price got ridiculous :cry: partly because a general increase, but partly because I was getting it from another middle man. That same middle man also carried, directly, Tribute, so I switched to the EK. It was cheaper but also a lower nutrient profile, compared to TC30, so I was feeding a bit more for about the same cost.

I didn’t have any condition loss with the EK, BUT, I was also feeding probably 25% more.

Then I decided that wasn’t worth it when we got a local Southern States which carries TC, so I went back to TC30, and the above horse was quite happy with it. I now use ProElite Diet Balancer because it seemed as if my SS Wasn’t going to carry TC anymore, and even though they now keep it in stock (though the TC30 always seems low), I still use the ProElite.

If your horse is a picky eater, try McCauley’s ration balancer. My horse won’t touch Essential K or several others. He happily eats his pound of McCauley’s M10.