Unlimited access >

Tricky Maiden Mare

Hello to all…I have a question about my maiden mare. She is 337 days and about 2 weeks ago she started to develop an udder. It progressed very quickly and soon she completely bagged, waxed and was dripping on May 13th. Her vulva was relaxed, swollen, elongated and red inside (no discharge.) Her tailhead was soft and jiggly, no resistance to raising her tail, temp. dropped to 98, her milk had turned opaque, was sticky, and was ph testing at 6.4 - it was all systems go! Except she didn’t go. It was like she just turned it all off and began to regress. Her udder went down, her vulva shrunk, her temp. went back up to normal, and ph is now at 8.5…I am just confused! I didn’t think about placentitis since it wasn’t premature udder development at over 320 days. Also, wouldn’t her udder have remained enlarged if it were placentitis? She also has no vulvar discharge, but I am having the vet out tomorrow just to be sure. I’ve just never seen anything like this but have had several people tell me that “anything goes” with a maiden mare and that this can happen. I’ve had plenty of maidens who were textbook…this one not so much. Anybody experienced similar? Should I be worried? Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

Might get more views and expert replies if you post this over on the Sport Horse Breeding Forum.

Done! Thanks for your help!

Can you tell me how? I can’t even see where I have posted, nor know how to get to sport horse forum.