Unlimited access >

Trilogy Verago

I had a fitter from Trilogy come out last year to fit myself and my horse. my mare has very tall withers, slightly sway back and has a curvy back. I currently ride her in a County Connection, which fits me pretty awesome ( I am near 6ft tall, looonnnngggg femur), but does not fit her well as the rear guesset is not enough and the saddle tilts towards her loin thus causing me to sit slightly forward because I have no cantle…which causes her back to be sore…

so, long story short she fit me and the mare to a Trilogy Verago…I LOVED it, she loved it, and the fitter told me unless I special order, I will always need a rear shim for the back of the saddle to fit her, which I am ok with as currently I am riding her in 2 half pads with my county.

so for the past year I have been watching the used saddle shops…for something in my budget and having a hard time. looking for an 18" seat, with a medium tree, under 2k.

I keep saving, and this weekend having a saddle fitting with Stubben to see if I can find something more in my budget.

any other saddles that feel like the Trilogy Verago (deep seat, narrow twist) maybe have a more full rear gusset unlike the countys and good for a curvy back?

I rode my cury horse (see my avatar) for years in a County Perfection with a 3" rear gusset. Fit him pretty darn well but not so good for me (forward flap would’ve worked better.) I found it used on ebay and my local fitter fitted it for me. Now I have a Trilogy Debbie for him.

You may want to consider the Albion SLK Ultima - feels very very similar to the Trilogy Verago. I ride in both (actually got a really good deal on a Albion Revelation which I love so I sold my older Albion)…but my other go to saddles are the Verago or the SLK Ultima. I think you can find the Albion SLK for a little less than the Verago, so it might give you more options when shopping.

I found the Verago fit my flat backed horse, and the Stubben better for a curvier back, so maybe you will have luck? The Stubben Genesis CL is fairly deep and comfy, but nothing like as comfy as the Verago. It’s one of my favourite saddles.

You could look for an Albion SLK. The NS on the flap is the narrow seat option which could be better if you’re slim. Albion saddles usually have a decent rear gusset, and the Adjusta tree is adjustable by a fitter. The Platinum is too, in a different way. Some Albions can be curvy.

The Ideal Suzannah also falls well within your budget and is similar to the Trilogy. Good rear gusset as well. The Roella is similar with a narrower twist and seat for a more petite rider so perhaps not for a tall rider. Trees can vary based in which one the saddle was built on.

The Passier Grand Gilbert can have a good rear gusset as and many find them both affordable and comfortable.