Unlimited access >

Triple Crown Complete vs Legends Performance

I will be moving my horse from self care to a full care facility and am trying to figure out his feed situation. I am currently feeding Triple Crown Complete with alfalfa/timothy pellets and ground flax. The closest thing offered at the new barn is Legends Performance. Could some of you give me some input about how these two compare? I really love the TC Complete but I can’t afford to pay full board AND buy his feed every month.
She also has TC Senior & 30% so that would be my other option…
Thanks y’all!

Pellets or the Sweet Feed version? The pellets are a pretty low NSC which I like. I think it’s a pretty good quality feed. I have fed it in the past. The TC Senior is closest to the TC Complete though.

I will have to clarify, she just said Legends Performance. I am trying to stay away from pellets as my horse has choked several times even with soupy pellet feed…

I think I would opt for the Senior over the Performance.

If you can’t do pellets, I would go with Sr over Performance as well. The TC 30% is also a pellet…

The Legend Performance Textured is a high sugar sweet feed. The Pellet is a MUCH lower sugar feed.

Even if the Performance is the pelleted version, I would definitely give the TC Sr a try first - it’s just a better feed.

You’re going to be losing significant calories switching to the TC30, so I wouldn’t go there unless you are willing and able to feed more calories from the hay pellets.

Just one person’s story -
I was feeding Legends 10, texturized to my horses. I bought a mineral block and they (3 horses, 2 of them 4 yr olds) went through it in 3 weeks. Month or so later I bought another one. Again it lasted about 3 weeks. I switched them to Triple Crown Complete and bought a 3rd mineral block (maybe not the exact same time, but close within a week or 2). About 1/4 of the mineral block was consumed and then TOTALLY ignored. I ended up throwing it away after 9 months of not being touched.
I think their coats are a tad better and they hold weight a tad better with the TC Complete, but hard to measure specifically.

I WAS feeding Senior until the vet suggested switching him to the TC Complete formula. So looks like we are going back to Senior with the alfalfa/timothy & flax. Thanks everyone!

We have fed Legends Performance, both textured and pelleted, for a long time and are extremely happy with it. It has 10% fat, which we love, and nothing else has that much. We also like the 11% protein level and the horses love the feed. I think they get better usage of the feed with the pelleted version.

[QUOTE=lauriep;7246937]
It has 10% fat, which we love, and nothing else has that much.[/QUOTE]

The TC Senior has 10% fat, and the Complete has 12% fat. I just keep reading that TC is a higher quality feed than Legends, and he was pretty happy on his Senior so I guess we will try that again. Thanks!

The Triple Crown line is a premium group of feeds, but both TC and Legends are both made by Southern States. The Legends is considered the mid-range, with products labeled strictly Southern States is their most economical line. SS produces all of their feed to a set formula, so you’re guaranteed the same recipe regardless of which line of feed you purchase. All that being said, I would also vote for the TC Senior. And if you look on the forum here, someone posted a link to some coupons good for either the Sr or Complete, buy 2 get 1 free. :slight_smile:

I don’t know much about Legends as its not in my area so I can’t really comment on it… Personally I’d go with the TC Senior! It’s an excellent feed, is high in fat and low NSCs (significantly lower than TC Complete which makes me wonder why your vet wanted you to switch??).

So another vote for TC Senior :yes:.

Thanks for your input, everyone!