Unlimited access >

Trot up not good for a few.

Article;
https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/world-equestrian-games-dressage-trot-up-664246

Stands and gives a round of applause to John.

3 Likes

Is it normal for them to ask a rider to re trot up the next day? Or because it’s WEG , they don’t want to eliminate and will give more time?

P.

OT, but I must say the Chronicle’s photo of C.Hester’s horse is stunning, what a beautiful animal. 20th photo here (I’m not able to link it directly). http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/…eg#prettyPhoto[211924]/19/

I hope that everyone there will be safe and sound and not too uncomfortable. I’m sure, if there is difficult weather and circumstance, that all the participants in the WEG , being the horsepeople that they are will do their best to take care of each other, horse and human.

WEG management, we are counting on you not to let the side down. :yes:

They did the same at the Rio Olympics, at least one horse was allowed to represent the following day (and subsequently passed ). Doesn’t sit well with me as the dressage horses are normally trotted up on soft ground rather than a hard surface, so if they can’t pass two trot ups, should they be allowed to represent the following day? On the other hand its a very long way to travel them and maybe an extra day after travel will be enough to get the horse loosened up…

well that has changed, when I was secretary for a WC qualifier, the trot surface was specified by FEI A hard / compact. surface to allow hearing the footfalls

2018 Veterinary Regulations.

Article 1011 Horse Inspection Area

1. An area, separate from the Horse Inspection area, must be provided for Athletes to assess Horses at the trot (e.g. trot track/ surface).

2. OCs, with the Technical Delegate and VSM, must provide a Horse Inspection area that includes:
    a) a minimum of 30 metres of surface on which Horses will be inspected at walk and trot. A shorter distance may be acceptable for indoor Horse Inspections subject to prior VC/ VD approval;
    b) the surface must be maintained as firm, level, clean and non-slippery for the entire period of the Horse Inspection to provide a consistent evaluation of the Horses’ fitness to compete;
    c) a barrier must be placed between the Horse Inspection area and the public;
    d) the collecting area should be located at a safe distance from the inspection site and of sufficient size for the type of competition and the number of Horses presenting;
    e) the Holding Box area must be a separate fenced off area, located close to the Horse Inspection area and where possible out of sight of the main Horse Inspection area; the Holding Box surface must be similar to the surface of the main inspection track;
    f) effort must be made to ensure spectator, Athlete and Horse safety, ensuring a safe distance between all spectators and Horses; and
    g) strict stewarding is required during the Horse Inspections, especially in the collecting area, to ensure the safety of all participants. The area must be stewarded so that Horses are ready for inspection at the scheduled time and quickly led away afterwards.

1 Like

So I suppose trotting up the Endurance horses in the mud after their event was rather a non-starter?

Why would you trot a horse up if the event was cancelled ?

1 Like

Back in Soul at the Olympics an event horse was deemed unsound and not given a second trot-up. In the ensuing hoo-ha there was a change, where a spun hose could try a second trot up. So often a mis-step can be caused by a head
toss or other. This could be where the second attempt may have come into being.

After flying so far and working so hard, it seems only fair to give the horses and riders the best chance to compete.

1 Like