Unlimited access >

Trying to get a different working student position

So, I’ve been trying to get a working student position at a bigger barn than I’m at now. Basically, I’ve been emailing and Facebook messaging a lot of barns in the area that I’m considering going to. Anyways, pretty much all of them haven’t responded, even though on Facebook, the long bio about my experiences has been read. Has anyone else had this problem? Trainers not responding?

If you are struggling getting responses to the message you send, I think you may want to assess the message itself that you have been sending.

Offhand, I can tell you oftentimes, they are: 1. too long 2. disorganized/disjointed 3. unrealistic/seem to be full of exaggerations 4. unspecific/seem like a copy/paste job and not relevant to the barn itself.

If a barn has posted an opening for a WS position, a good response is to let them know you are interested, give two to three details about how you fit the position (skill level, former experience), and then state what you can bring to the table as a part of their team. It should be short, readable, and accessible. End stating you would be happy to go into further detail about your additional relevant experience, and thank them for their time.

If you are messaging a barn that has not posted a listing for a WS position (and you are cold-turkey messaging them) it is even more critical that your message be short, sweet, and to the point. Address the fact that you know they have not posted an ad for such a position but if something is available or should become available in the near future you hope they’ll consider you for it because of X, Y, and Z. And same rules as above apply.

Succinct detail that doesn’t overwhelm is a challenge: editing things out is a skill that not many of us have. However, it is a critical part of being able to write messages like this because all too often they can get away from their authors!

7 Likes

@Edre my message is quite long:sigh:. I did it that way to explain things once. I’ll definitely take your advice and see if that works, so thank you!

It’s so easy to get caught in the trap of saying too much! However, the dreaded “wall of text” is problematic: it’s hard to read (think of someone trying to read it on a phone - lots of scrolling), it’s time consuming, and easy to tune-out. Instead of giving so much detail from the get go, pick two or three SUPER RELEVANT details. Also, and this is key: make each message specific to the barn. Identify a specific success they’ve had, and find a way to relate it to your details or explain how you can benefit their team in those successes. If you take the time to make something specific to relate to each barn you message, they know you are taking the time to research them rather than just copy/paste the same message to ten barns. If they are interested, they will follow up and solicit more detail from you (at which point, you’ve already cleared the first hurdle of getting a response in the first place).

Fingers crossed - and good luck to you!

5 Likes

If you are trying to sum up your experiences to sell yourself, think about what makes you different than the pack. You don’t need to go over the stuff you have in common with every young equestrian. Every single girl competing with you for these positions has always loved horses, started lessons at age 8, did her first lead line/ cross rails class on an adorable pony called Spot, and has an ambition to be a pro rider and ride for the Olympic team. You can leave all that out. It’s assumed

Now a working student position is an apprenticeship. And while the trainers may all look equivalent to you, each one feels he or she is a special snowflake and just way better for (insert reason here). They are going to want to know why you want to work for them. Do you know how special and unique their program is, and do you know how you’ll fit in? And if you do know how special they are why have you never turned up to take lessons? And if you’ve been working at a smaller barn or at one of their competitors that they loathe, they might think you have learned everything wrong.

In other words I think it would be useful to cultivate personal relationships and go work for someone you truly admire and want to emulate.

3 Likes

Also IMO goes without saying… make sure your grammar is correct, no spelling mistakes and blank lines between paragraphs.

The easier on the eye, the more likely it will be read. Correct spelling and grammar help with the professional presentation of yourself and show an attention to detail.

Good luck in your search!

3 Likes

I agree with Edre, keep the FB message brief, let them know of your interest/response to their post for WS.

Example" Hello, I am responding to your WS position at Class Act Farm. In looking at your facebook page and website, I am very interested in learning more about your WS and what my experience can bring to your facility. I look forward to your response and the opportunity to discuss this position further. Thank you.

If there is a way to attach your resume, do it, but don’t write your resume in the email. The message/email is to show your interest in the position and to hopefully pique their interest in you.

1 Like

I would approach this differently (and this may be my age speaking, but having said that many horse professionals are my age). Find the name(s) of the trainers or barn managers you want to work for. Then make an appointment to see him/her personally. The trainers/BO have phone numbers --and are on the look out for new business --horses to train or board --so you should be able to call or text something as simple as, “This is Jane Doe. Is there a convenient time for me to stop in and talk with you at XYZ stable.” At this point the trainer/BO doesn’t know if it is for a job or a horse. If they respond with “Come by at 1:00 tomorrow” --then do so with your resume/letters of recommendation in hand. Get right to the point: “Thank you for seeing me. I’m Jane Doe and I currently work for [name of employer]. While [employer] is great --I’d like the chance to work for you.”

If the trainer/BO texts/asks what is this about? You can say then, I’m working for [employer] and looking to change so that I can learn more. I heard you were tops in the [discipline] field. Can I drop by and talk with you?"

OK so Bo/Trainer might say no --but you’d be amazed how many will say yes. Horse people like to show their facilities and knowledge to other horse people.

I know two professional trainers —the first is on the computer --never —never uses it. Asks his daughter to do anything computer related. If you texted him or called, he’d be all over it. He is always looking for good riders (he has a huge training facility with lots of horses that need work by someone under his supervision). The second one is also not on the computer much —again, a call would be much more likely to get you an interview.

If the trainer/BO does say no --then ask if you can mail a copy of your resume and letters of recommendation. You never know when someone is going to quit.

So --for me --I’d say quit trying to get a job using the computer. Get yourself in front of the person doing the hiring.

6 Likes

Barns get many, many, many of these whether they post an ad or not. Generally they don’t respond any more then any other company does if they don’t need anybody, the position involved does not exist or if age, transportation and qualifications don’t meet their requirements.

When I said many, I meant many, average barns don’t have the staff to monitor and respond to unsolicited resumes or say no to 40 or 50 unsuccessful applicants who did not make it to the interview stage , some of whom tend to demand an explanation.

Word of mouth and face to face work far better, especially if the barn has not asked or posted a help wanted ad.

Know it’s tough but OP needs to consider they don’t need her or others are better qualified.

2 Likes

One other thought - every ad I have seen in my area requires WS/barn help to have reliable transportation. It probably wouldn’t hurt to toss this in with your qualifications - assuming you do have reliable transportation.

It may be that there are no openings right now, but you never know when an opening will be created. There is certainly a lot of turnover in these positions.