Unlimited access >

Turn out situation

Looking for thoughts on a turn out situation where the herds are different day and night. So a hard of 5 and 2 horses stay the same 24 hours but the rest are switched every 12 hours.

Would this potentially stressful for horses and is this an unusual turn out situation or is it somewhat common? Would you be okay if it was your horse staying out with different herds constantly? Thanks

My horse has a number of buddies he goes out with depending on the day and lesson schedules at the barn. I don’t think it causes him a lot of undue stress. I think that would be fine as long as everyone gets along.

1 Like

Personally, for my horse that gets along with the majority of other horses, changing turn out buds and spaces is enriching. Gives him additional mental stimulation.

I wouldn’t have a problem with it. I wouldn’t find it unusual.

Some horses are different I’m sure.

1 Like

Depends on the horses but if you like the overall care? Wouldn’t be an issue. Barns rarely change long standing practices unless there an observed problem, which doesn’t sound like the case here.

1 Like

Not looking to change anything I was just wondering if there is any downside to it. It seems like most barns I’ve had experience with tend to keep herds pretty consistent but this barn rotates the horses quite a bit.

As long as there is plenty of room and none are being bitten and kicked every day it is fine. Mine change out all the time but they have plenty of room, hay and or pasture, and shelter. Plus I monitor interactions and change things up as needed.

I think most horses deal with well, as long as there’s enough room and resources.

One of my geldings is out 24/7 with four other geldings. Three additional geldings join them for the day, but are stalled at night (reversed in the summer). No one seems bothered by it. They all hang out together.
The ones who come in start moseying toward the gate on schedule, the ones who stay out don’t.

Once the horses are used to it, rotating turnout buddies is great. It stops them from becoming joined at the hip with specific horses, and it is wonderful to be able to pop a horse out with someone else if their usual buddy is away showing or something.

6 Likes