Unlimited access >

Turnout boots?

Hi all,

My horse currently does not wear boots in turnout. But, we are about to move to new farm with big paddocks and I suspect he’ll be much fresher for a while out there. I’m trying to find him a set of turnout boots but don’t know what to get. I’m in the northeast so it’s hot out right now, so I don’t want something too hot on his legs. Any advice?

I can’t speak to their longevity as I’ve only had mine a few months, but the Shires Arma Air Motion brushing boots are very breathable but still pretty sturdy. I don’t use them for turnout, just riding, but the difference between regular neoprene boots (which I have been using on the hind legs) and these is huge. Front legs with the Air Motions have zero sweat, hind legs with Woofs are very sweaty after an hour.

Bonus, they are cheap. The sizing is generous, so be aware of that when ordering.

I like these, thanks!!

The Shires boots are quite breathable, but didn’t hold up well in turnout for my mare. YMMV.

I’ve had better luck with the Lemieux ProSport Mesh Boots.

Arma Air are amazing for the summer!

Also Lemieux Turn out boots.

Is there a reason you need to turn out in boots?

Absent of covering a healing cut, they have no benefit and many drawbacks – including causing heat build up and possible soft tissue damage. I would never turn out in the summer with boots; if you need to keep a cut or an area clean flyboots are the way to go.

I normally don’t use them, but if there’s a chance he’s going to be more of a nut in new turnout, I figure he’s less likely to slice a ligament/tendon open…?